Temp Sensor - '91 Audi 100

Old December 16th 04, 04:25 PM
~ ElektraMan ~

Default Temp Sensor - '91 Audi 100

Hi,

I just put in a new Multifunction Temp Sensor, the 3 terminal replacement
made by Behr. After installing, the temperature gauge does not read any
higher than the second hash mark on the gauge by the "C" (cold). Obviously
something still wrong. Anyone know what other problems may cause this? Do
you think it could be a defective sensor? The heater puts out heat and there
are no other obvious signs the temp is really that low so I'm inclined to
think the problem lies in the sensor or the wiring. Prior to replacing the
old sensor the temp gauge worked intermittently and the temp gauge always
registered in the normal range.

Thanks,
Steve

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a
miracle. The other is as if everything is."

.....Albert Einstein

Old December 16th 04, 04:56 PM
Steve Sears

Steve,
You could get a probe thermometer, and carefully place it between the fins
of the rad and read the temperature of the fluid flowing through - just make
sure you don't block the fan blades. On that idea, does the fan turn on at
all if the car is left idling for a while? Can you put your hand on the
upper rad hose without discomfort? Does the Bentley Manual have a
resistance range that you could use to get a couple of resistors from Radio
Shack and test the ranges of the gauge? It is possible that, when the old
sensor was removed, that the connectors were damaged (the rubber boot around
the connector does a good job of pooling coolant, which corrodes the wires
and connectors).
Cheers!
Steve Sears
1987 Audi 5kTQ
1980 Audi 5k
1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes
(SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

Old December 17th 04, 12:38 AM
dave AKA vwdoc1

Yes I think that I had a defective switch/sensor once for an Audi 90 with
the 5 cyl engine. The temperature read correctly, but it wanted to flash
the coolant warning light at different times. One Expensive switch/sensor.
lol
I think I will pull some off of the junk cars at the yards to keep on hand.

later,
dave
(One out of many daves)

Old December 17th 04, 06:04 PM
~ ElektraMan ~

Hey Steve, Thanks for your valuable input. The lower hose is actually cold,
and the upper hose is just warm, not hot. I take it this means a thermostat
problem. Right?

Thanks,
Steve

. ..

Old December 17th 04, 09:58 PM
Steve Sears

Steve,
No probs. Chances are your t-stat has failed. I'd still use a thermometer
to check the temperature of the coolant. In my 1987 5ktq it's fairly easy
to change the thermostat, just move the ps pump to the side. I'm not sure
if it's a more involved job with the '91 100.

> > > There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is

> > > miracle. The other is as if everything is."
> > >
> > > ....Albert Einstein

audi facts may be of interest news.blueyonder.co.uk Audi 0 October 28th 04 01:35 PM
audi cd for pc news.blueyonder.co.uk Audi 1 October 7th 04 09:51 PM
Audi V8 outside temp meter? John Audi 0 July 28th 04 05:14 AM
Audi Picture R. de Jong Audi 0 July 27th 04 04:08 PM
Audi 100 quattro temp gauge probs Paul Wickham Audi 1 May 31st 04 04:39 PM