novice question on getting a stuck vehicle out

Old December 22nd 04, 08:03 PM
Jeff Strickland

Default novice question on getting a stuck vehicle out

When you have a choice, it is always best to pull with your vehicle in a
forward gear. That is, pull in Drive instead of Reverse. The gears in the
diff are cut in a manner to make them stronger going forward than backward,
you need to leverage this design consideration instead of ignore it.

When winching, then obviously you will be pulling in Reverse because the
winch will be mounted to the front. When winching, you may find that you
might need to anchor your vehicle with a second vehicle because a winch
won't always free the stuck vehicle, but it will always draw the lightest
load toward the heaiver one. This means your vehicle may be pulled into the
ditch.

Whether or not you pull in a forward gear or a reverse gear really dempends
on just how stuck the object vehicle really is. If it merely can't get
traction because the muffler is high centered, then pulling in reverse
should be fine. But, if it has dropped off the side of the road and is
buried in a culvert, then you will want to be sure to pull in a forward
direction. If the object vehicle is able to run, then you might want the
driver to be in it with the engine running and in gear and LIGHTLY applying
the gas to help his car move. If it comes free, then he must be very careful
to not run over the cable or strap. You always want to draw up the slack in
the cable or strap before attempting to pull the object vehicle free. Do not
snap a slack strap of cable. This is when the cable or strap will break and
snap back towards you. If there is a bystander anywhere within the arc of
the cable, they will be at risk of being hit by the flying cable or strap.
As a safety precaution, you should always place a jacket or blanket over the
cable or strap to absorb the energy in the event that it does break.

Old December 22nd 04, 08:19 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...123&R=669 123
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old December 22nd 04, 08:42 PM
j.lef

Thanks Jeff, Steve and Bill.
Which forward gear, would you use? L fwd?

Also, an aside to Bill. Take this as a
compliment. I have been reading your comments on this group for about six
months, and always curious to see what you say. Sometimes its nasty,
sometimes amusing, but always in the end a wealth of information.(usually
with links to pictures, and diagrams) Keep up the good work.....

Much regards Jerry

Old December 22nd 04, 08:59 PM
Jeff Strickland

Whichever one it takes. Usually, 4HI and 1st is a good choice, but be ready
to go into 4LO.

Old December 22nd 04, 10:44 PM
mabar

I agree with everything that Jeff said, but I would like to add that when
pulling or pushing out a stuck vehicle, you should be in 4-LO.

Tom

Old December 22nd 04, 10:46 PM
mabar

Hi Jeff:

Why 4-HI? I would think that the recovery vehicle should be in 4-LO, which
would give the recovery vehicle a LOT more torque or "pulling power>"

Old December 22nd 04, 10:56 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

"pushing"?
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old December 22nd 04, 11:18 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Sometimes we need a little speed to get out of the way of the
stuckee. And we're direct drive to the rear axle, and bypassing some of
the weak components such as that puny chain and sun and planetary
gears: http://www.billhughes.com/BrokenCase01.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old December 22nd 04, 11:33 PM
j.lef

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
> When you have a choice, it is always best to pull with your vehicle in a
> forward gear. That is, pull in Drive instead of Reverse. The gears in the
> diff are cut in a manner to make them stronger going forward than

backward,
> you need to leverage this design consideration instead of ignore it.
>
> On attaching a tow strap to a car, that needs to be

pulled, what is the preferred spot on front and rear to attach the strap to?

Much regards

Old December 22nd 04, 11:48 PM
DougW

j.lef did pass the time by typing:
> "Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
>> When you have a choice, it is always best to pull with your vehicle in a
>> forward gear. That is, pull in Drive instead of Reverse. The gears in the
>> diff are cut in a manner to make them stronger going forward than backward,
>> you need to leverage this design consideration instead of ignore it.
>>
>> On attaching a tow strap to a car, that needs to be

> pulled, what is the preferred spot on front and rear to attach the strap to?

As an old farmer once told me..

"Here, sonny. Attach this to what you want comin out."

The rear axle around a draglink but never around the pumpkin.
Preferably to the frame, but that requires a metal connector that
some arn't comfy with. If you have to use a frame hook, put a heavy
blanket over the strap close to the vehicle being pulled out.