Wrangler TJ Tire axle gearing Questions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 1st 04, 10:39 PM
Derek Proctor

Default Wrangler TJ Tire axle gearing Questions

Hey all my 97 Wrangler TJ Sahara is sitting on 3" of lift right now
(2" RE BB and 1" BL) with 31x10.5 BFG ATs. Im thinking about adding
new, larger tires. The thing is it rides excellent on the street and
my gas mileage and power is decent so when i upgrade tires i do not
want to sacrifice these. I have 3.55 gearing and i know this will
work fine with 33" BFG Muds but i have the dana 35 axle (mild/moderate
wheeling.)

Im undecided between 33x10.5x15 or 33x12.5x15 BFG MT's. Which puts
more stress on the axle? Also i currently have American Racing 15x7"
rims. If i choose 12.5s i will need to sell these for 15x8s.

I obviously want 33x12.5s because of the traction and looks, but are
they terrible on road? How do they compare with 33x10.5s in handling,
gas mileage, or power? Do the 10.5s look goofy or will its skinnier
width increase rollover probability?

Should i keep my American racing rims and go for 33x10.5x15's or
should i sell my tires and rims i have now for 33x12.5x15's? Which
would you do?

*Money isnt the biggest issue as i can sell my current tire/rim set
for a good price.

Thanks
Derek