wassap with my tire wear?

Old January 4th 04, 07:14 AM
OrygunGuy

with hope that I'm not being baited into an explanation...I continue... when
you drive into a corner the car & tire want to continue to go straight
ahead, right? the reason the car turns is because you turn the tire away
from the direction of travel, right? This causes wear, right? If you were
to turn the tire at right angle to the direction of travel you would flat
spot it, right? So, if you drive into the turn fast and wait until late
into the entrance of the turn to initiate the turn you have to turn the
wheel more than if you set the turn up earlier. An aggressive style wears
the outer edge of the steering tire off more quickly than a neutral driving
style would.

So the question that came to mind was: Is he an aggressive driver wearing
off the outer edges of his tires by his driving style? And I couldn't keep
myself from asking it!

I know the Mickey's I have wear evenly until I over drive the 5000 pound
vehicle they are mounted on. I can take the outside edge of the outside
steering tire (i.e.: the right-side tire in a left hand turn) in a few
thousand miles...leaving a set of four tires with very little mid-tread and
inner rib wear after rotating the rear tires to the front axel.

All of this without discussing chassis set-up, caster/camber, vehicle
weight, body roll, acceleration/deceleration in the turn, braking before the
turn or in the turn, oversteer, understeer, a loose or tight condition...you
can find all of this online....

good luck.

"4000 psi" > wrote in message
> what is considered over steering?
>
> i drive in SoCal and it is 50 MPH on most of the city roads here ... there
> are a lot of bends and up-n-down hills ... i am sure i am probably a bit

on
> the semi-aggressive side when it comes to driving as well ...
>
> "OrygunGuy" > wrote in message
> > You don't mention how aggressively you drive this beast. Could you be
> > over-steering and rubbing off the outside ribs on the front tires?
> > Orygunguy
> >
> > "L0nD0t.$t0we11" > wrote in message
> > > Roughly 12/29/03 19:09, 4000 psi's monkeys randomly typed:

> would
> > you
> > >
> > > Even on a Michelin with the tread belts, underinflation will tend
> > > to wear both sides of the tire. Possibly you may have a slight
> > > camber problem [which may be normal for your vehicle] that kept
> > > underinflation from wearing both sides, just more or less the one.
> > >
> > > I wouldn't risk the replacements without checking with at least
> > > two different alignment shops.... and ask them specifically if
> > > your QX4 is notorious for oddball tread wear. And consider
> > > the cross side rotation pattern if it is.
> > >
> > > [Hopefully a mechanic familiar with QX4 may read this and comment]

rear
> > tires

while