How useful are headlight wipers?

Old January 30th 05, 05:14 PM
Ulf

Default How useful are headlight wipers?

How good are headlight washers/wipers at keeping the headlights clean?
My winter car, a '86 BMW E30, had wipers until one of the previous
owners removed them. The wiper motors and nozzles are still there but
not connected (see picture). I've thought about getting wipers and wiper
arms and connecting everything as it used to be. However, I'm curious to
how useful they actually are. I realize that they're more than a
gimmick, but how much more?

Thanks,

Ulf

http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/IMG_1192.jpg
Old January 30th 05, 05:22 PM
Nate Nagel

Ulf wrote:

> How good are headlight washers/wipers at keeping the headlights clean?
> My winter car, a '86 BMW E30, had wipers until one of the previous
> owners removed them. The wiper motors and nozzles are still there but
> not connected (see picture). I've thought about getting wipers and wiper
> arms and connecting everything as it used to be. However, I'm curious to
> how useful they actually are. I realize that they're more than a
> gimmick, but how much more?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ulf
>
> http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/IMG_1192.jpg

I can certainly tell the difference, especially in this weather (nasty,
with lots of residual salt on the roads) between headlights that are
dirty and headlights that have just been cleaned. I do most of my
driving after dark, so the headlights are always up and they do get
grimy. I generally go maybe 3-400 miles between gas stops, when they
get cleaned, and they do get gradually dimmer and the beam pattern less
distinct as they get dirtier. So I'd say that they probably do work
well. unfortunately my car does not have the headlamp washers otherwise
I'd be using the heck out of 'em.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old January 30th 05, 05:26 PM
Deep

I can't tell much difference... all mine are are the the washer sprays...
apart from draining the washer fuild tank at an alarming rate, there's not
much good I see from them... now if they had wipers... that would be
different.

Deep

Old January 30th 05, 09:10 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

Interesting comment. I bought my car with a spray system. I don't drive
much and I don't think I have used the cleaner 'in anger'. Maybe a waste of
money. If there really were a lot dirt around, e.g. on a motorway, for how
long could I use the spray before emptying the water tank...?... :-(

DAS
---

"Deep" > wrote in message
>I can't tell much difference... all mine are are the the washer sprays...
> apart from draining the washer fuild tank at an alarming rate, there's not
> much good I see from them... now if they had wipers... that would be
> different.
>
> Deep

[...]

Old January 30th 05, 09:21 PM
Deep

Well it's more so that when driving with the headlights on, it's decides
that every 5th spray needs to turn on the headlight washer. However, if I
just use it once during my evening trip home, it will still use the fluid.
I've found that when I am using it , it's usually at night and I ran 10
days - 2 weeks before having to refill the tank. My wife's car uses a full
tank every 2 months approx. and she LOVES to spray her windows all the
time...

Deep

Old January 31st 05, 02:28 AM
Somebody

"Ulf" > wrote in message
> How good are headlight washers/wipers at keeping the headlights clean?
> My winter car, a '86 BMW E30, had wipers until one of the previous
> owners removed them. The wiper motors and nozzles are still there but
> not connected (see picture). I've thought about getting wipers and wiper
> arms and connecting everything as it used to be. However, I'm curious to
> how useful they actually are. I realize that they're more than a
> gimmick, but how much more?

I would *love* to have these on my E30. Want to sell the rest of your guts?
:-)

I can't afford to do the conversion but I've heard of guys doing it from
scratch.

If your driving was all in town or all freeway, you may never care, but my
mix of country and city driving would make them a big deal for my car.

I do a lot of 300 to 400km runs where the middle 250km is on freeways at
relatively high speed.. In winter I get a lot of accumulated crud on the
lights and once I get off the highways onto the back roads for home, with no
other lights in the countryside, I can *really* tell the difference between
clean and dirty headlights. I clean them at every single gas stop and
sometimes even pull over to do it with a squeegee I keep in the car,
although since upgrading my bulbs I don't have to go to those lengths as
often. Washers are helpful, but the automatic wash system on the E32 I
drove for a while drained a lot of fluid as mentioned, and wasn't all that
effective really. Washer/wipers with fully manual controls would be ideal
imho.

-Russ.

Old January 31st 05, 05:32 PM
Ulf

Nate Nagel wrote:
> Ulf wrote:
>
>> How good are headlight washers/wipers at keeping the headlights clean?
>> My winter car, a '86 BMW E30, had wipers until one of the previous
>> owners removed them. The wiper motors and nozzles are still there but
>> not connected (see picture). I've thought about getting wipers and
>> wiper arms and connecting everything as it used to be. However, I'm
>> curious to how useful they actually are. I realize that they're more
>> than a gimmick, but how much more?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ulf
>>
>> http://members.roadfly.org/ulf/IMG_1192.jpg

> I can certainly tell the difference, especially in this weather (nasty,
> with lots of residual salt on the roads) between headlights that are
> dirty and headlights that have just been cleaned. I do most of my
> driving after dark, so the headlights are always up and they do get
> grimy. I generally go maybe 3-400 miles between gas stops, when they
> get cleaned, and they do get gradually dimmer and the beam pattern less
> distinct as they get dirtier. So I'd say that they probably do work
> well. unfortunately my car does not have the headlamp washers otherwise
> I'd be using the heck out of 'em.

I know what you mean. Even with 100w bulbs I've had times when I thought
I only had the parking lights on... Of course, the question is whether
wipers are able to clean the headlights as good as if you've done it
yourself. Then again, I rarely do it myself so in that case it's better
that it's done badly than not at all.

> nate

Ulf
Old January 31st 05, 05:39 PM
Ulf

Somebody wrote:
> "Ulf" > wrote in message
>
>>How good are headlight washers/wipers at keeping the headlights clean?
>>My winter car, a '86 BMW E30, had wipers until one of the previous
>>owners removed them. The wiper motors and nozzles are still there but
>>not connected (see picture). I've thought about getting wipers and wiper
>>arms and connecting everything as it used to be. However, I'm curious to
>>how useful they actually are. I realize that they're more than a
>>gimmick, but how much more?

> I would *love* to have these on my E30. Want to sell the rest of your guts?
> :-)

LOL.

> I can't afford to do the conversion but I've heard of guys doing it from
> scratch.
>
> If your driving was all in town or all freeway, you may never care, but my
> mix of country and city driving would make them a big deal for my car.
>
> I do a lot of 300 to 400km runs where the middle 250km is on freeways at
> relatively high speed.. In winter I get a lot of accumulated crud on the
> lights and once I get off the highways onto the back roads for home, with no
> other lights in the countryside, I can *really* tell the difference between
> clean and dirty headlights. I clean them at every single gas stop and
> sometimes even pull over to do it with a squeegee I keep in the car,
> although since upgrading my bulbs I don't have to go to those lengths as
> often. Washers are helpful, but the automatic wash system on the E32 I
> drove for a while drained a lot of fluid as mentioned, and wasn't all that
> effective really. Washer/wipers with fully manual controls would be ideal
> imho.

Yeah, if I do it I'm definitely going to install an on/off switch in the
car. I'd hate to waste precious washer fluid...

> -Russ.

Ulf
Old January 31st 05, 06:14 PM
Bradburn Fentress

"Dori A Schmetterling" > wrote in message
> Interesting comment. I bought my car with a spray system. I don't drive
> much and I don't think I have used the cleaner 'in anger'. Maybe a waste
> of money. long could I use the spray before emptying the water tank...?...
> :-(

In most BMW's, over the last 8 years or so, the headlight spray is activated
every 3rd time the windshield washer is activated, when your lights are on.
It has minimal effect on your washer fluid levels. There is no way to
manually spray the headlights (it only come on when you do the windshield,
and then only when the lights are turned on) and the automatic spray last a
couple seconds of intense burst. There is no great effect to washer fluid
levels, and certainly if it is working correctly it doesn't drain the fluid
"at an alarming rate".

Works great too, but I suspect only for those of us who live in climates
that result in lots of dirt and grime being thrown on the front end of our
cars.

Old February 1st 05, 06:43 PM
Jeff Strickland

I think the answer to your questin depends on where you are and the weather
conditions you have there. I am in California, and I have been driving for
35 years, and none of my cars has ever had headlamp wipers. They might be
great, but if they don't work, I wouldn't know. I seldom give my headlamps a
second thought.