Check this out...

Old August 28th 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
PlowBoy

Default Check this out...

Not ready to game monitor, or is it?

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/periphera...ers-196974.php

I know there are guys who used to post here, have money to burn, sure hope
they try it and post back <G>

Old August 28th 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony Rickard

PlowBoy wrote:
> Not ready to game monitor, or is it?
>
> http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/periphera...ers-196974.php
>
> I know there are guys who used to post here, have money to burn, sure hope
> they try it and post back <G>

According to their UK reseller: "Anticipated list price £9,750 exc
delivery and VAT"...

Ouch!
Old August 28th 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jwilson54

Tony Rickard wrote:
> PlowBoy wrote:
>> Not ready to game monitor, or is it?
>>
>> http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/periphera...ers-196974.php
>>

>> I know there are guys who used to post here, have money to burn, sure
>> hope they try it and post back <G>

> According to their UK reseller: "Anticipated list price £9,750 exc
> delivery and VAT"...
>
> Ouch!

And 16ms response wont cut it for gaming
Old August 28th 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
redTed

>>> I know there are guys who used to post here, have money to burn, sure
>>> hope they try it and post back <G>

>> According to their UK reseller: "Anticipated list price £9,750 exc
>> delivery and VAT"...
>>
>> Ouch!

> And 16ms response wont cut it for gaming

Of course it will. But for that price I'd want much lower response times.

Old August 29th 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
PlowBoy

Ya All know that response time is as accurate a marketing tool as the good
old diagonal measurement of CRTs in the 90's right? there is grey to grey
or on and of response times, and thes can be manipulated by vendors to suit
whatever they want you to think, it seems. I read where a good 16ms on one
panel is better than 4ms on others now that they all lie anyway. Back in
the 80's and 90's we had a saying about the computer industry... "What is
the difference between a car salesman and a computer salesman?" Answer:
"the Car salesman knows he is lying to you"

redTed enlightened us with:

Old August 29th 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
scott[_3_]

PlowBoy wrote:
> Ya All know that response time is as accurate a marketing tool as the
> good old diagonal measurement of CRTs in the 90's right? there is
> grey to grey or on and of response times, and thes can be manipulated
> by vendors to suit whatever they want you to think, it seems. I read
> where a good 16ms on one panel is better than 4ms on others now that
> they all lie anyway.

Couldn't agree with you more, if you are really worried about fast response
times then actually get infront of the monitor and test it. Comparing a
single number from a website is totally pointless, there are far too many
ways they can wangle out any number they like for the "response time".

Old August 29th 06, 05:19 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
redTed

"PlowBoy" > wrote in message
> Ya All know that response time is as accurate a marketing tool as the good
> old diagonal measurement of CRTs in the 90's right? there is grey to grey
> or on and of response times, and thes can be manipulated by vendors to
> suit whatever they want you to think, it seems. I read where a good 16ms
> on one panel is better than 4ms on others now that they all lie anyway.
> Back in the 80's and 90's we had a saying about the computer industry...
> "What is the difference between a car salesman and a computer salesman?"
> Answer: "the Car salesman knows he is lying to you"

As I owned an LG with 16ms response for a couple of years, I know how well
it handles all sorts of games.
Personally I look for sharp contrast ratios along with low response times.
Then a demo of the actual monitor if possible.
Sometimes the supplied tech stats are all you can use to make up your mind.
Especially when ordering stuff over the 'net.
If, and I'm sure you are right, sales ppl twist figures to suit, who the
**** knows what we're being sold ?

Old September 2nd 06, 11:39 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Trev B

jwilson54 wrote:
> Tony Rickard wrote:
>
>> PlowBoy wrote:
>>
>>> Not ready to game monitor, or is it?
>>>
>>> http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/periphera...ers-196974.php
>>>

>>> I know there are guys who used to post here, have money to burn, sure
>>> hope they try it and post back <G>

>> According to their UK reseller: "Anticipated list price £9,750 exc
>> delivery and VAT"...
>>
>> Ouch!

> And 16ms response wont cut it for gaming

Yes it will.
Old September 3rd 06, 06:35 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Villanova

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 08:49:28 -0500, "PlowBoy" >
wrote:

>Not ready to game monitor, or is it?
>
>http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/periphera...ers-196974.php
>
>I know there are guys who used to post here, have money to burn, sure hope
>they try it and post back <G>

Track IR does a better job for games, for nearly $9000 less.
Old September 3rd 06, 10:55 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony Rickard

Villanova wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 08:49:28 -0500, "PlowBoy" >
> wrote:
>
>> Not ready to game monitor, or is it?
>>
>> http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/periphera...ers-196974.php
>>
>> I know there are guys who used to post here, have money to burn, sure hope
>> they try it and post back <G>
>>

> Track IR does a better job for games, for nearly $9000 less.

I don't agree it does a better job, but certainly better value!

The advantage of three screen gaming is it allows you to look left and
right whilst still retaining your peripheral view straight ahead as in
real life. Similarly it allows the right and left views to sit in your
peripheral vision.

I am sure it varies from person to person but I simply can't cope with
any form of variable view in front of me - including look to apex type
views. I need the real life fixed view of straight ahead and then the
ability to have additional rather than alternative views right and left.

I guess it maybe because I have been sim racing for over 15 years and
you know what they say about teaching old dogs new tricks...

Cheers
Tony