Trash Talking Before The Rumble

Old August 17th 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected]

Default Trash Talking Before The Rumble

With ithis already going on, you can bet the pony car wars are REALLY
going to heat up. Read on...

----
ROYAL OAK -- Woodward wasn't big enough Tuesday morning for two classic
Detroit muscle cars that will soon roar back into showrooms.

The Woodward Dream Cruise provided the backdrop for the first salvo in
a much-anticipated showdown between the Chevrolet Camaro and the Dodge
Challenger.

To set the scene, the Chrysler Group was hosting a media event in front
of Duggan's Irish Pub in Royal Oak. The automaker was showing off its
Dodge Challenger concept muscle car and the 1970 Challenger that
inspired it.

Without warning, a Chevrolet car hauler embossed with a massive bowtie
logo and carrying two Camaros -- the 2006 concept car and a 1969
classic -- came rolling by, turning the head of media members.

Jason Vines, Chrysler's top PR official, took the slow-speed Camaro
drive-by as an invitation for a Dream Cruise rumble.

He (jokingly) called it a "wuss" move to haul the Camaros in a trailer
rather than driving the vehicles by Duggan's.

Chevy spokesman Terry Rhadigan denied a turf war. General Motors Corp.
has been showcasing the Camaros for days on Woodward as part of the
Dream Cruise and they were en route to two GM events Tuesday, he said.

"We'll definitely do battle with them in the showroom in a couple of
years, but right now this was more or less an opportunity to display
the iconic brand," he said.

Both Dodge and Chevrolet have promised to build production versions of
vehicles in the next couple years.

The muscle car tussle caught the attention of Jalopnik.com, a popular
auto Web site, which likened it to a Sharks-versus-Jets feud.

"Chevy made a point of letting the Chrysler folks know that they were
stepping on the General's turf ... almost goading the Chrysler Group
into a 'West Side Story'-like knife fight," the Web site said.

"It slowly passed in the right lane," Ray Wert, Detroit associate
editor for Jalopnik.com, told The Detroit News. "It was quite possibly
the greatest coincidence in the history of automobiles."

The modern-day muscle car battle reignited when Ford Motor Co. gave its
2005 Mustang a throwback design.

Dodge and Chevy entering the fray is a good for Detroit and the auto
industry, Wert said.

"This is what the enthusiasts want," Wert said. "This gets their blood
running. The baby boomers all want to push their pony car as being the
best pony car among them all."

Vines agreed, but couldn't help taking one more swipe at his rival.

"It's healthy for Detroit and it's healthy for the industry," Vines
said. "Despite the lameness of the GM stunt, it gets people talking."
----

Patrick

Old August 17th 06, 02:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe[_1_]

wrote in news:1155778071.122201.32220
@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

> With ithis already going on, you can bet the pony car wars are REALLY
> going to heat up. Read on...
>
> ----
> ROYAL OAK -- Woodward wasn't big enough Tuesday morning for two

classic
> Detroit muscle cars that will soon roar back into showrooms.
>
> The Woodward Dream Cruise provided the backdrop for the first salvo in
> a much-anticipated showdown between the Chevrolet Camaro and the Dodge
> Challenger.
>
> To set the scene, the Chrysler Group was hosting a media event in

front
> of Duggan's Irish Pub in Royal Oak. The automaker was showing off its
> Dodge Challenger concept muscle car and the 1970 Challenger that
> inspired it.
>
> Without warning, a Chevrolet car hauler embossed with a massive bowtie
> logo and carrying two Camaros -- the 2006 concept car and a 1969
> classic -- came rolling by, turning the head of media members.
>
> Jason Vines, Chrysler's top PR official, took the slow-speed Camaro
> drive-by as an invitation for a Dream Cruise rumble.
>
> He (jokingly) called it a "wuss" move to haul the Camaros in a trailer
> rather than driving the vehicles by Duggan's.
>
> Chevy spokesman Terry Rhadigan denied a turf war. General Motors Corp.
> has been showcasing the Camaros for days on Woodward as part of the
> Dream Cruise and they were en route to two GM events Tuesday, he said.
>
> "We'll definitely do battle with them in the showroom in a couple of
> years, but right now this was more or less an opportunity to display
> the iconic brand," he said.
>
> Both Dodge and Chevrolet have promised to build production versions of
> vehicles in the next couple years.
>
> The muscle car tussle caught the attention of Jalopnik.com, a popular
> auto Web site, which likened it to a Sharks-versus-Jets feud.
>
> "Chevy made a point of letting the Chrysler folks know that they were
> stepping on the General's turf ... almost goading the Chrysler Group
> into a 'West Side Story'-like knife fight," the Web site said.
>
> "It slowly passed in the right lane," Ray Wert, Detroit associate
> editor for Jalopnik.com, told The Detroit News. "It was quite possibly
> the greatest coincidence in the history of automobiles."
>
> The modern-day muscle car battle reignited when Ford Motor Co. gave

its
> 2005 Mustang a throwback design.
>
> Dodge and Chevy entering the fray is a good for Detroit and the auto
> industry, Wert said.
>
> "This is what the enthusiasts want," Wert said. "This gets their blood
> running. The baby boomers all want to push their pony car as being the
> best pony car among them all."
>
> Vines agreed, but couldn't help taking one more swipe at his rival.
>
> "It's healthy for Detroit and it's healthy for the industry," Vines
> said. "Despite the lameness of the GM stunt, it gets people talking."
> ----
>
> Patrick

Gotta love it!
Old August 17th 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected]

lab~rat >:-) wrote:
> On 16 Aug 2006 18:27:51 -0700, puked:
>

> >To set the scene, the Chrysler Group was hosting a media event in front
> >of Duggan's Irish Pub in Royal Oak. The automaker was showing off its
> >Dodge Challenger concept muscle car and the 1970 Challenger that
> >inspired it.
> >
> >Without warning, a Chevrolet car hauler embossed with a massive bowtie
> >logo and carrying two Camaros -- the 2006 concept car and a 1969
> >classic -- came rolling by, turning the head of media members.
> >
> >Jason Vines, Chrysler's top PR official, took the slow-speed Camaro
> >drive-by as an invitation for a Dream Cruise rumble.
> >
> >He (jokingly) called it a "wuss" move to haul the Camaros in a trailer
> >rather than driving the vehicles by Duggan's.

> I agree here. Are the concept cars functional or mock ups? They
> should have driven by and laid a pair of thirty foot strips of
> rubber...

Considering the Challenger is a rebody of an existing two ton four door
and the Camaro is an all-new purpose built platform, the fact that the
Challenger is more street ready than the Camaro as of August '06 is
pretty meaningless. But you gotta love the silliness of it. Just like
the old days. Those old muscle cars are goofy-ass things, but back in
the '60s', before so many got their carrots permanently installed in
their butts, everyone loved them.

180 Out

Old August 18th 06, 05:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Big Al[_1_]

> wrote in message
ups.com...

> Considering the Challenger is a rebody of an existing two ton four door
> and the Camaro is an all-new purpose built platform, the fact that the
> Challenger is more street ready than the Camaro as of August '06 is
> pretty meaningless. But you gotta love the silliness of it. Just like
> the old days. Those old muscle cars are goofy-ass things, but back in
> the '60s', before so many got their carrots permanently installed in
> their butts, everyone loved them.
>
> 180 Out

Muscle cars! We're not going to start this war again. They are Pony
cars..... Since the Barracuda was actually first, guess they are Fish
cars.

Al

Old August 18th 06, 01:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
lab~rat >:-)

On 17 Aug 2006 10:06:54 -0700, puked:

>lab~rat >:-) wrote:
>> On 16 Aug 2006 18:27:51 -0700,
puked:

>> >To set the scene, the Chrysler Group was hosting a media event in front
>> >of Duggan's Irish Pub in Royal Oak. The automaker was showing off its
>> >Dodge Challenger concept muscle car and the 1970 Challenger that
>> >inspired it.
>> >
>> >Without warning, a Chevrolet car hauler embossed with a massive bowtie
>> >logo and carrying two Camaros -- the 2006 concept car and a 1969
>> >classic -- came rolling by, turning the head of media members.
>> >
>> >Jason Vines, Chrysler's top PR official, took the slow-speed Camaro
>> >drive-by as an invitation for a Dream Cruise rumble.
>> >
>> >He (jokingly) called it a "wuss" move to haul the Camaros in a trailer
>> >rather than driving the vehicles by Duggan's.

>> I agree here. Are the concept cars functional or mock ups? They
>> should have driven by and laid a pair of thirty foot strips of
>> rubber...

>Considering the Challenger is a rebody of an existing two ton four door
>and the Camaro is an all-new purpose built platform, the fact that the
>Challenger is more street ready than the Camaro as of August '06 is
>pretty meaningless. But you gotta love the silliness of it. Just like
>the old days. Those old muscle cars are goofy-ass things, but back in
>the '60s', before so many got their carrots permanently installed in
>their butts, everyone loved them.

A lot of people still do, at least that's what GM and DC are counting
on...
--
lab~rat >:-)
Do you want polite or do you want sincere?
Old August 20th 06, 01:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
John S.[_1_]

lab~rat >:-) wrote:
> On 16 Aug 2006 18:27:51 -0700, puked:
>

> >To set the scene, the Chrysler Group was hosting a media event in front
> >of Duggan's Irish Pub in Royal Oak. The automaker was showing off its
> >Dodge Challenger concept muscle car and the 1970 Challenger that
> >inspired it.
> >
> >Without warning, a Chevrolet car hauler embossed with a massive bowtie
> >logo and carrying two Camaros -- the 2006 concept car and a 1969
> >classic -- came rolling by, turning the head of media members.
> >
> >Jason Vines, Chrysler's top PR official, took the slow-speed Camaro
> >drive-by as an invitation for a Dream Cruise rumble.
> >
> >He (jokingly) called it a "wuss" move to haul the Camaros in a trailer
> >rather than driving the vehicles by Duggan's.

> I agree here. Are the concept cars functional or mock ups? They
> should have driven by and laid a pair of thirty foot strips of
> rubber...
> --
> lab~rat >:-)
> Do you want polite or do you want sincere?

Not sure if it was fully functional... but the local new show new
camaro driving around the parking lot... LOL!

IMHO, i think front looks like a mutated Caddy (the 2 seater Caddy)
while he rear looks like some one slapped the bottom half of a Vette on
(those 1/2 Vette taillights)... the middle was ok... LOL!

Trail(er) trash R. Lander 4x4 119 June 13th 06 02:22 AM
Trail(er) trash R. Lander Jeep 171 June 13th 06 02:22 AM
Take your trash talk elsewhere Tom P Jeep 6 April 17th 06 06:39 PM
Starting Problems with my 79 vette 79VetteNJ Corvette 14 October 8th 04 06:54 AM
L300 wagon rumble Art Saturn 4 September 21st 04 02:48 AM