Shock mounts

Old May 8th 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Shock mounts

I am looking to replace my shocks on a '95 with 110k. I am going with the
basic KYB GR-2 shock and was wondering if replacing the shock mounts and
boots is also necessary. Surprisingly the mounts are more expensive than
the shocks. KYB mounts from tirerack are $50 each and oem from
finishlineperformance are $78 each. Any opinions about those? All feedback
is appreciated. Thanks.

Old May 8th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

I don't think there's a need to replace any kind of 'mounts'. Now, the
boots, if they are all weathered / cracked and falling apart probably should
be replaced but they are a bit expensive for what amounts to a dust /
debris shield. I don't mind admitting that I hadn't even considered that way
back when I first did that to my 92 and I was too deep into it to stop or go
back. Two of mine were allright and two were pretty crappy. I got
'creative'! The new shocks came in heavy plastic sleeves and I simply used
those sleeves (like a heavy duty plastic bag shaped like the shock) to
replace the two bad ones. I simply zip tied them top and bottom. I drove the
car in Houston weather for 5 yrs and 65k that way and they were holding up
fine, no holes or problems.

Chris
99BBB

Old May 8th 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >,
"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

> I don't think there's a need to replace any kind of 'mounts'. Now, the
> boots, if they are all weathered / cracked and falling apart probably should
> be replaced but they are a bit expensive for what amounts to a dust /
> debris shield.

Remember that the bumpstop is part of the dust boot. You need that.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old May 9th 06, 12:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Lanny Chambers" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:
>
>> I don't think there's a need to replace any kind of 'mounts'. Now, the
>> boots, if they are all weathered / cracked and falling apart probably
>> should
>> be replaced but they are a bit expensive for what amounts to a dust /
>> debris shield.

> Remember that the bumpstop is part of the dust boot. You need that.
>
> --
> Lanny Chambers
> '94C, St. Louis
> http://www.hummingbirds.net/alignment.html

That is exactly what I was confused about. The KYB boots don't seem to have
the bumpstop and so I was thinking that I might need their mount for it to
work. Sounds like I really just need to reuse the old boots or at least the
old bumpstop from the old boots or just get new genuine Mazda boots. The
OEM boots are expensive but I would hate to have the car apart and then
learn that I needed them... So I will get the OEM boots to go with the KYB
GR-2 unless there is a better recommendation for a basic set-up.
Thank you both for your replies.

Old May 9th 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Glad you clarified that, I thought I was loosing my mind thinking, what
'mounts' is he talking about? Ya, I think the bump stops would do their job
even if they were separated from the original boots and reused, as long as
they weren't rotted and crumbling.

newswQ7g.5006$Rf6.1765@trndny05...

Old May 9th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article <pwQ7g.5006$Rf6.1765@trndny05>,
"Christopher Muto" > wrote:

> Sounds like I really just need to reuse the old boots or at least the
> old bumpstop from the old boots or just get new genuine Mazda boots.

Those are two of your options. But I would use urethane bumpstops from
Flyin' Miata or Fat Cat Motorsports, with some cheap generic boots.
You'd gain a very useful amount of travel. That's my plan if I ever take
my suspension apart again.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old May 9th 06, 04:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Thanks again to both of you.

Old May 9th 06, 12:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Since you are in there you may want to consider changing the rubber
pads that the springs sit on. I did not change mine and all of them
had holes where the end of the spring wore through the rubber. I now
have a squeek.

Old May 9th 06, 01:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

thanks for that. do you happen to know where to get them?

"DBLZOOM" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Since you are in there you may want to consider changing the rubber
> pads that the springs sit on. I did not change mine and all of them
> had holes where the end of the spring wore through the rubber. I now
> have a squeek.
>

> Christopher Muto wrote:
>> Thanks again to both of you.
>>
>> "Lanny Chambers" > wrote in message

>> > Those are two of your options. But I would use urethane bumpstops from
>> > Flyin' Miata or Fat Cat Motorsports, with some cheap generic boots.
>> > You'd gain a very useful amount of travel. That's my plan if I ever
>> > take
>> > my suspension apart again.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Lanny Chambers
>> > '94C, St. Louis
>> > http://www.hummingbirds.net/alignment.html

Olds V6/CJ5 Motor Mounts Bill Lahr Jeep 3 February 19th 06 09:42 PM
Tranny Mounts Anyone? TerryB VW air cooled 0 March 14th 05 03:59 AM
Rear shock mounts E46 MW BMW 3 March 4th 05 10:56 PM
Dumb shock questions.. Carl Saiyed Jeep 3 February 12th 05 03:59 PM
twistec or OEM motor mounts? marx404 Saturn 11 June 30th 04 03:47 PM