OBD-II Software

Old October 11th 04, 11:51 PM
mick

Default OBD-II Software

Having problems posting so I apologise if I've posted this already.

Has anyone used any OBD-II software for ALfa and if so which one?

WOuld VAG-COM work (i.e. software for AUdi/Voltswagon).

I'd like some simple software to read fault codes and maybe to clear
them. Oh and being able to program new keys would be good cos I need a
spare one.
Old October 11th 04, 11:55 PM
bobdabilda

"mick" > wrote in message
om...
> Having problems posting so I apologise if I've posted this already.
>
> Has anyone used any OBD-II software for ALfa and if so which one?
>
> WOuld VAG-COM work (i.e. software for AUdi/Voltswagon).
>
> I'd like some simple software to read fault codes and maybe to clear
> them. Oh and being able to program new keys would be good cos I need a
> spare one.

Have a chat with AJCarter on www.alfaowner.com/forum

He's developed his own software to read most error codes on a late 145 QV
(and clear some of them).

Old October 12th 04, 08:37 AM
S.J. Ewen

> Having problems posting so I apologise if I've posted this already.
>
> Has anyone used any OBD-II software for ALfa and if so which one?
>
> WOuld VAG-COM work (i.e. software for AUdi/Voltswagon).
>
> I'd like some simple software to read fault codes and maybe to clear
> them. Oh and being able to program new keys would be good cos I need a
> spare one.

Hi Mick

Any info you find out, please post. There is a product called DEC Superscan
which has an Alfa module. I have asked for a price, but have not had a
reply (I can only imagine that it's expensive). So far as I can work out,
you need an ISO interface which *should* enable you to perform some basic
functions with generic software which should include error code reading
resetting. For anything more sophisticated, the software may require usage
of the KWP2000 protocol (think this is dependent on the age of your Alfa),
and an understanding of the Alfa systems. In fact, I'm just about to bite
the bullet, get an interface and try it.

Rgds

Stuart
Old October 12th 04, 09:19 PM
Claus Munk

On 12 Oct 2004 08:15:17 -0700, (mick) wrote:

>I'm at the same stage - just about to jump in and try. I'm looking
>around for the cheapest way to start. Getting specific info on Alfas
>may be the big problem.
>
>email me on
if you have any suggestions etc.

>remove the @spam
>i.e.
>

>Michael

I have just bought the CarChip E/X from Davis (
www.davisnet.com/drive)
and it works ok in my 2003 Alfa 156. I have not yet seen any
diagnostic codes, but the normal Engine Data is being reported without
any problems. The only practical problem is that the CarChip prevents
the fusebox cover from being attached while in use. But I'm in the
process of making an extension cable to be able to place the CarChip
outside the fusebox cover.

-Claus
Old October 12th 04, 09:41 PM
mickey doc

Ok so this is a small datalogger - cool.
If it were wireless then you could download the data without removing it.

What pinouts are you going to use in the extension lead? 4,5,7 and 16 or are
you going to just use them all (1 to 16).

Old October 13th 04, 07:38 AM
Claus Munk

"mickey doc" > wrote in message
> Ok so this is a small datalogger - cool.
> If it were wireless then you could download the data without removing it.
>
> What pinouts are you going to use in the extension lead? 4,5,7 and 16 or
> are
> you going to just use them all (1 to 16).

The CarChip has 7 (I think. I'm at work and don't have it here) pins as it
supports PWM, VPW and ISO, and I intend to use all 7 in my extension cable
just to be able to use it in other cars. But if it were only to be used in
my Alfa I should be able to do with 4,5,7 and 16.

-Claus

Old November 9th 04, 08:16 PM
rarebear

what software are you using ? I can't get my setup working, I have the
interface and cables and software from SCANTOOL but no show !

please help

Old November 9th 04, 10:17 PM
Claus Munk

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 14:16:11 -0500, "rarebear" >
wrote:

>what software are you using ? I can't get my setup working, I have the
>interface and cables and software from SCANTOOL but no show !
>
>please help

I'm using the CarChip 1.4.0 software that goes with the CarChip and
I'm using firmware 1.49 in the CarChip..

-Claus
Old November 10th 04, 11:34 AM
rarebear

Claus,
thanks, I have the interface from obd2-performance in Germany it is a
KKL interface ISO9141 and when I connect it to the car the LED comes
on, so the thing is alive, but my laptop COM1 is not responding. How is
your COM! configured ?

regards
Dolf