tunnel to pan connection

Old June 8th 05, 09:54 PM
tricky

johnboy wrote:

> Throw it away. Find a better start. Don't waste your time and money on it.

? ! ? ! ?

Rust is just rotten metal, you can easily replace it.

Time is yours .. you have time or you dont !

I dont realy care if a car needs time spending on it. My free time is
'free' !

Its the pleasure you get from doing it that counts .

Have fun !

Rich
Old June 9th 05, 01:58 AM
MUADIB®

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 21:35:56 -0400, "Joey Tribiani" >
wrote:

>"Remco" > wrote in message
>
>> On mine, there's a gap between this lip and the tunnel. Is this lip
>> part of a plate that's welded along the bottom of the tunnel? Or is it
>> something welded along the edge of the tunnel?
>>

>the "tunnel" or "spine" is a two piece unit through the car...the upside
>down "U" shaped part is welded to the bottom plate...there should be no
>gap...the bottom plate is, as you speculated, wider than the upside down "U"
>shaped part so the pans can be attatched to it....sounds like you have a
>project ahead of you, but honestly rust repair is easier than collision
>repair, so if the car is, so they say, "straight" you will be okay....you
>seem to have a good attitude, so go for it....

Something like this for a cross section. The horizontal *straight*
lines are the pans, the other two parts should be obvious. This is a
quicky sketch so please excuse the messy appearance.

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...elxsection.JPG

This is basically a proper assembly of everything I have disassembled.
There is space in the picture to give definition, not because there is
supposed to actually be space between the pieces.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

If A Quiz is Quizical,
What is a test?
Old June 9th 05, 03:30 AM
Joey Tribiani

"MUADIB®" > wrote in message

> Something like this for a cross section. The horizontal *straight*
> lines are the pans, the other two parts should be obvious. This is a
> quicky sketch so please excuse the messy appearance.
>
> http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...elxsection.JPG
>
> This is basically a proper assembly of everything I have disassembled.
> There is space in the picture to give definition, not because there is
> supposed to actually be space between the pieces.

excellent visual here...(your diagram is right on Scott) this site is about
"inside a bug"....

http://www.vwdcqinc.org.au/vwdcqimag...thetunnel.html

Old June 9th 05, 04:11 AM
remco

"Joey Tribiani" > wrote in message

> "MUADIB®" > wrote in message
>

> > Something like this for a cross section. The horizontal *straight*
> > lines are the pans, the other two parts should be obvious. This is a
> > quicky sketch so please excuse the messy appearance.
> >
> > http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...elxsection.JPG
> >
> > This is basically a proper assembly of everything I have disassembled.
> > There is space in the picture to give definition, not because there is
> > supposed to actually be space between the pieces.
> >

> excellent visual here...(your diagram is right on Scott) this site is

about
> "inside a bug"....
>
> http://www.vwdcqinc.org.au/vwdcqimag...thetunnel.html

Poy-fect! Thanks, guys!
That made it really clear.

Old June 9th 05, 04:13 AM
remco

"tricky" > wrote in message

> johnboy wrote:
>

> > Throw it away. Find a better start. Don't waste your time and money on

it.

> ? ! ? ! ?
>
> Rust is just rotten metal, you can easily replace it.
>
> Time is yours .. you have time or you dont !
>
> I dont realy care if a car needs time spending on it. My free time is
> 'free' !
>
> Its the pleasure you get from doing it that counts .
>
> Have fun !
>
> Rich

That's what I think too, Rich: I enjoy the work most as well.

Old June 9th 05, 05:49 PM
Howard Rose

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 19:20:02 -0500, "johnboy" >
wrote:

>Throw it away. Find a better start. Don't waste your time and money on it.

Depends where he is. That is a pretty decent "project car" over here
in the UK! Usually you will have to replace the entire bottom 6".

--
Howard Rose
1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe
Old June 9th 05, 07:30 PM
Remco

Howard Rose wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 19:20:02 -0500, "johnboy" >
> wrote:
>
> >Throw it away. Find a better start. Don't waste your time and money on it.

> Depends where he is. That is a pretty decent "project car" over here
> in the UK! Usually you will have to replace the entire bottom 6".

Climate here in New England is pretty similar to the UK (hence the
name, right )
One takes the rust with the good.

Old June 10th 05, 12:06 AM
ilambert

Ya,it must be nice to "restore" only perfect cars.I think he was asking for
advice,not wise-ass comments about his choice of projects.

Old June 10th 05, 01:25 AM
johnboy

"ilambert" > wrote in message
> Ya,it must be nice to "restore" only perfect cars.I think he was asking
> for advice,not wise-ass comments about his choice of projects.

Hey, you can be all kind and gentle and waste the man's precious time and
money. I have more respect for his effort. A bug that late in that kind of
shape is junk.

Old June 10th 05, 01:59 AM
Joey Tribiani

"johnboy" > wrote in message

> Hey, you can be all kind and gentle and waste the man's precious time and
> money. I have more respect for his effort. A bug that late in that kind
> of shape is junk.

actually at this date, the later bugs(around 67-up or abouts) are more
rotted than their earlier siblings...i have read that the steel source was
changed at around that time and the later steel wasn't as "high
quality"....my 68 bug has less rust(and has been a daily driver *all* its
life until i got it a few years ago) than my friends 74 that was garaged
most its life...