A complete Newbie needs help

Old May 25th 05, 01:15 AM
Joey Tribiani

"tricky" > wrote in message
> I found the Muir book a good read for the sake of reading. For a
> complete newbie or not, you can learn alot and take a big step towards
> knowing your VW, and have a laugh at the same time !
>
> I have never felt the same about a haynes manual for intance - I wouldnt
> sit down and read one of them cover to cover !

hope not...get yourself a novel or a comic book...

> I guess Jan has a point - Read the muir book, then you know the basics
> and more. Then if you want you can better understand any other tech
> manual if you need to .

the Muir was a marketing genius .... hell read the name of the manual....
the manual usually ends up in the hands of the *intended* people...the
others get a real manual and actually fix **** on their car instead of
looking for entertainment...

Old May 25th 05, 01:47 AM
Shag

On Tue, 24 May 2005 20:15:28 -0400, "Joey Tribiani" >
wrote:

>"tricky" > wrote in message
>> I found the Muir book a good read for the sake of reading. For a
>> complete newbie or not, you can learn alot and take a big step towards
>> knowing your VW, and have a laugh at the same time !
>>
>> I have never felt the same about a haynes manual for intance - I wouldnt
>> sit down and read one of them cover to cover !

>hope not...get yourself a novel or a comic book...
>

>> I guess Jan has a point - Read the muir book, then you know the basics
>> and more. Then if you want you can better understand any other tech
>> manual if you need to .
>>

>the Muir was a marketing genius .... hell read the name of the manual....
>the manual usually ends up in the hands of the *intended* people...the
>others get a real manual and actually fix **** on their car instead of
>looking for entertainment...

Damn, Christina. Lighten up! :-) If it weren't for Muir then I
would seriously not even be on RAMVA. I read that book and like
"tricky" said, it was fun to read and I did learn some stuff while
reading it. It made me feel much more comfortable when it came to
working on my vehicle. I'll be the first (ok, the second...or
third...etc, etc) to admit that the work I do on my VWs is "less than
professional" but doing that work is entertaining to me, even if it
might not sound like it sometimes if you listen to what comes out of
my mouth as I'm splitting the knuckle on the middle finger of my right
hand for the seventh time in a row during the same hour. I guess I'm
an "intended people." :-D I realize there are better, more accurate
manuals out there (and I own a few of them) than the Muir book, but I
won't condem it because it's not the best. Try to find the chapter
on how to have sex in your VW in any of the other manuals. ;-)
Old May 25th 05, 01:56 AM
Joey Tribiani

"Shag" > wrote in message

> Damn, Christina. Lighten up! :-)

im actually down ten pounds....

If it weren't for Muir then I
> would seriously not even be on RAMVA. I read that book and like
> "tricky" said, it was fun to read and I did learn some stuff while
> reading it. It made me feel much more comfortable when it came to
> working on my vehicle. I'll be the first (ok, the second...or
> third...etc, etc) to admit that the work I do on my VWs is "less than
> professional" but doing that work is entertaining to me, even if it
> might not sound like it sometimes if you listen to what comes out of
> my mouth as I'm splitting the knuckle on the middle finger of my right
> hand for the seventh time in a row during the same hour. I guess I'm
> an "intended people." :-D I realize there are better, more accurate
> manuals out there (and I own a few of them) than the Muir book, but I
> won't condem it because it's not the best.

the *only* problem i have with the advice that flew in this thread is that
the OP has been told to basically buy every single ****ing printed book that
mentions a vw....waste...bull****....i'm not condemning the Muir book, it
has about as much credibility as the VW Mags we've been subjected to over
the years....but we don't suggest every newbie get a susbscription to those
to learn the *proper* way to maintain/repair their cars....just have trouble
suggesting a book that is known to be wrong and potentially damaging, yet is
touted as a "repair manual"....its a bull**** waste of time for anyone who
*really* wants to work on their car....(as you have seen with your "real"
manuals)

> Try to find the chapter
> on how to have sex in your VW in any of the other manuals. ;-)

sorry, never *needed* anyone to explain how to have sex to me...no matter
where i chose to do it...

Old May 25th 05, 02:18 AM
Shag

On Tue, 24 May 2005 20:56:41 -0400, "Joey Tribiani" >
wrote:

>the *only* problem i have with the advice that flew in this thread is that
>the OP has been told to basically buy every single ****ing printed book that
>mentions a vw....waste...bull****....i'm not condemning the Muir book, it
>has about as much credibility as the VW Mags we've been subjected to over
>the years....but we don't suggest every newbie get a susbscription to those
>to learn the *proper* way to maintain/repair their cars....just have trouble
>suggesting a book that is known to be wrong and potentially damaging, yet is
>touted as a "repair manual"....its a bull**** waste of time for anyone who
>*really* wants to work on their car....(as you have seen with your "real"
>manuals)

I don't think it is a bull**** waste of time for anyone who really
wants to work on their VW. If I had not read that book then I
wouldn't have even STARTED to try to get into working on my own VW.
Before I read that book I used to pay a shop to adjust my valves for
me. Like I told you the other day, I finally "committed" to buying a
decent torque wrench with the thought of completely tearing down and
rebuilding an engine (the one in my rail) for the first time in my
life. How did you get started on "seriously" working on vehicles?
Did you just pick up a Haynes or Bently manual and read it
cover-to-cover and jump right in? Or did you take some
classes/training on how to do it right? Or did you have someone
around who already knew a little (or a lot) about working on vehicles
who gave you enough confidence to get into doing that sort of thing on
your own? For those of us who don't have someone around who already
knows their way in and out the processes of working on a vehicle, Muir
is a good start. In my opinion. Yeah, I know what that's worth.

Old May 25th 05, 03:21 AM
Joey Tribiani

"Shag" > wrote in message

> I don't think it is a bull**** waste of time for anyone who really
> wants to work on their VW. If I had not read that book then I
> wouldn't have even STARTED to try to get into working on my own VW.
> Before I read that book I used to pay a shop to adjust my valves for
> me. Like I told you the other day, I finally "committed" to buying a
> decent torque wrench with the thought of completely tearing down and
> rebuilding an engine (the one in my rail) for the first time in my
> life. How did you get started on "seriously" working on vehicles?
> Did you just pick up a Haynes or Bently manual and read it
> cover-to-cover and jump right in? Or did you take some
> classes/training on how to do it right? Or did you have someone
> around who already knew a little (or a lot) about working on vehicles
> who gave you enough confidence to get into doing that sort of thing on
> your own? For those of us who don't have someone around who already
> knows their way in and out the processes of working on a vehicle, Muir
> is a good start. In my opinion. Yeah, I know what that's worth.

i came from a family of mechanics and bodymen.....i got to "see" alot, but
didn't get to help till i knew what i was doing...what that meant was
tearing down "blown engines" and making them work again, usually with parts
from the junkpile...then we put em in the racecars and run em till they
blew....the rest i learned on my own....alot of staring and logical
troubleshooting....my first several engine rebuilds i would get the torque
and clearance specs from local mechanics and go at it....but i wasn't in
need of some pseudo manual to give me confidence, i went at it with a
positive attitude and all was well....i had several vw engines under my belt
before i ever purchased a manual....and Muir wasn't the one....all i have
ever used the manual for is torque specs....heck i bought a Bently manual
from John W and have yet to do more than flip through it briefly...but it
looks nice over there ....------>......go for it with the engine shag, you
got very little to lose really, but alot to gain.....

Old May 25th 05, 04:58 AM
Tim Rogers

"Shag" > wrote in message

> Try to find the chapter on how to have sex
> in your VW in any of the other manuals. ;-)

.................Would that be with another person? If not, it would explain
why the bus was invented.

timmy

Old May 25th 05, 10:27 AM
tricky

Shag wrote:
> On Tue, 24 May 2005 20:56:41 -0400, "Joey Tribiani" >
> wrote:
>

>>the *only* problem i have with the advice that flew in this thread is that
>>the OP has been told to basically buy every single ****ing printed book that
>>mentions a vw....waste...bull****....i'm not condemning the Muir book, it
>>has about as much credibility as the VW Mags we've been subjected to over
>>the years....but we don't suggest every newbie get a susbscription to those
>>to learn the *proper* way to maintain/repair their cars....just have trouble
>>suggesting a book that is known to be wrong and potentially damaging, yet is
>>touted as a "repair manual"....its a bull**** waste of time for anyone who
>>*really* wants to work on their car....(as you have seen with your "real"
>>manuals)

> I don't think it is a bull**** waste of time for anyone who really
> wants to work on their VW. If I had not read that book then I
> wouldn't have even STARTED to try to get into working on my own VW.
> Before I read that book I used to pay a shop to adjust my valves for
> me. Like I told you the other day, I finally "committed" to buying a
> decent torque wrench with the thought of completely tearing down and
> rebuilding an engine (the one in my rail) for the first time in my
> life. How did you get started on "seriously" working on vehicles?
> Did you just pick up a Haynes or Bently manual and read it
> cover-to-cover and jump right in? Or did you take some
> classes/training on how to do it right? Or did you have someone
> around who already knew a little (or a lot) about working on vehicles
> who gave you enough confidence to get into doing that sort of thing on
> your own? For those of us who don't have someone around who already
> knows their way in and out the processes of working on a vehicle, Muir
> is a good start. In my opinion. Yeah, I know what that's worth.

Yeah - what he said ! :-)

The title of the thread starts " A complete newbie " . As you were
brought up around cars and engines , maybe you cant understand what its
like too be at a complete loss as to where to start, who to ask, what
to ask for etc. etc. Nothing wrong with that. If you know your stuff,
thats a good thing !.

'We' dont !

I had a little knowledge of mechanics, but it was still a few oil
changes down the line on VW's before I learned they were different to
other cars. I just used to take the drain plug out, empty the oil, put
it back and top it up again ! I didnt know that the smaller bolts
holding the round plate had a wire mesh thingy inside that I should
replace, or at least clean ! For all I knew, if I took that plate off,
half the engine could fall out !

I think how to keep your VW alive - for a complete idiot ( like 'us' )
as an apt title for the book. Like shag said, you could take it to a
shop, and pay someone to do the work. They could tell you what you want
to hear and you would pay what they tell you to pay. If you read the
Muir book, at leased you will have an idea if you are beeing fleeced, or
even that the mechanic hasnt got a clue about aircooled, and you are
paying him to screw your engine up !

I would still recommend to any "Newbie" the muir book as a good starting
place to learn the basics and take the mystery out of all the oily stuff.

I am interested in your comments on wrong info given in the book. I
havent heared that before. Can you give us some examples - what to look
out for ?

Cheers

Rich
Old May 25th 05, 02:42 PM
Jan Andersson

Repair manuals are like any other advice you get to a tech question.

GET A SECOND OPINION.

Having multiple manuals is just that.

Jan
Old May 25th 05, 10:44 PM
Shag

On Wed, 25 May 2005 16:42:03 +0300, Jan Andersson
> wrote:

>Repair manuals are like any other advice you get to a tech question.
>
>GET A SECOND OPINION.
>
>Having multiple manuals is just that.
>
>Jan

I'd like a second opinion on that. ;-)

Old May 26th 05, 12:11 AM
Joey Tribiani

"Shag" > wrote in message

> >Repair manuals are like any other advice you get to a tech question.
> >
> >GET A SECOND OPINION.
> >
> >Having multiple manuals is just that.
> >
> >Jan

> I'd like a second opinion on that. ;-)

Well....i think......no **** it....buy every book you can that may give you
the answer...then if you have any money left maybe you can buy a
sparkplug....