Throttle body spacers

Old February 2nd 05, 02:31 AM
Tom

Default Throttle body spacers

Has anyone had any experience with throttle body spacers and what do you
think of them?

Old February 2nd 05, 02:40 AM
DougW

Tom did pass the time by typing:
> Has anyone had any experience with throttle body spacers and what do you
> think of them?

Pure junk with no real (unbiased) test results to back the claims.

What they do is change your throttle and kickdown cable geometry to
make it feel like you have more power. Same effect can be had
by gluing a block of wood to your shoe.

Originally spacers were there to separate the carb from engine
heat and provide a denser charge. Pointless in throttle bodies
and fuel injection.

Flow is king. Open the intake and exhaust. port and polish the head.
or just do what I do and cram air down the engines throat.
If you have a 4cyl you could use the I6 throttle body with modifications
but don't get a bored out 4.0 TB, it will flow too much air and lean
out your engine.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://members.cox.net/wilsond
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Old February 2nd 05, 02:44 AM
Dave Milne

Do you think the manufacturer would pass up the chance to supply you with
extra horsepower when all it takes is an extra bit of scrap metal ? If they
worked they would be ... part of the throttle body... wait, you already have
one !

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Old February 2nd 05, 02:57 AM
Jeff Strickland

Snake oil.

Old February 2nd 05, 03:05 AM
JimG

They make a cool noise when you accelerate! Other than that, they won't
give you any noticeable increase in HP, IMHO.
(you must have the 4 cylinder)

--
JimG
80' CJ-7 258 CID, HEI

00' TJ Sport 4.0L, 5sp
4.56 Gears, TrueTrac rear
33" BFG AT on 15x8 Eagle Alloys
D35 Rear, D30 Front. 3" Suspension Lift

Old February 2nd 05, 03:22 AM
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

Ditto.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 2nd 05, 03:32 AM
Mike Romain

They had a use with 'hot' carb engines.

No use on FI engines.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 2nd 05, 04:18 AM
Kevin in San Diego

I think if they were worth a damn they would have been included stock. they
do nothing for the 4.0
KH

Old February 2nd 05, 07:58 AM
Jerry Bransford

While they're worthwhile under a carburetor, they don't do a thing under
a throttle body except make more noise... which fools some into thinking
it is making more power.

Jerry

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old February 2nd 05, 12:37 PM
reconair

Excellent performance in separating your money from your wallet. Buy a tow
rope instead.

Scott
91YJ
"Tom" > wrote in message
> Has anyone had any experience with throttle body spacers and what do you
> think of them?

Cleaning throttle body James Technology 3 January 13th 05 10:39 PM
Cleaning Throttle Body ZZ Technology 5 January 9th 05 05:32 PM
Shudders at stop light: Clean throttle body? Richard Saturn 2 December 18th 04 11:58 PM
Body Shop Adviice James Sutherland Dodge 12 October 25th 04 08:56 PM