Genuine Shop Manuals Standard Equipment on All Cars

Old December 9th 04, 02:00 AM
Phillip Schmid

"mike gray" > wrote in message

> Alternator's fine. Bearing's a little noisy (diagnosed by sticking one end
> of a screwdriver on the bearing housing, the other end in my ear) but the
> regulator is in the ECU.
>
> How do I fix that?

Alot of alternators have internal regulators. I know my 93 Grand Prix does.
Even an 85 Camaro has one.

Old December 9th 04, 02:00 AM
Phillip Schmid

Old December 9th 04, 02:00 AM
Phillip Schmid

Old December 9th 04, 02:42 AM
mike gray

Phillip Schmid wrote:
> "mike gray" > wrote in message
>>
>> Alternator's fine. Bearing's a little noisy (diagnosed by sticking one end
>> of a screwdriver on the bearing housing, the other end in my ear) but the
>> regulator is in the ECU.
>>
>> How do I fix that?
>>

> Alot of alternators have internal regulators. I know my 93 Grand Prix does.
> Even an 85 Camaro has one.

Some have external regulators, either mounted on the alternator or on
the firewall. Some have internal regulators. Some have the regulator in
the ECU.

Sensible designs have an external regulator.

The '92 Caravan does not.

Old December 9th 04, 02:42 AM
mike gray

Old December 9th 04, 02:52 AM
mike gray

Matt Whiting wrote:

> mike gray wrote:
>
>> Matt Whiting wrote:
>>
>>> One computer failure does not a trend establish.

>> But it is enough to dispel the myth of infallibility.
>>

> The trouble is there is no such myth, at least not held by anyone here.
> Our comments were only about your absurd claim that every car more
> than four years old has a failed computer. I'm sorry you aren't capable
> of understanding that. Then again, I guess we should have known that
> anyone who would make such a ludicrous claim obviously was a few quarts
> shy of a full sump.

OK, a little hyperbole just to liven up the conversation.

What, then, would you guess is the percentage of 4+ year old cars in
which all the signals are in spec?

Old December 9th 04, 02:52 AM
mike gray

Old December 9th 04, 03:57 AM
Joe Pfeiffer

"Phillip Schmid" > writes:

> "mike gray" > wrote in message
> >
> > Alternator's fine. Bearing's a little noisy (diagnosed by sticking one end
> > of a screwdriver on the bearing housing, the other end in my ear) but the
> > regulator is in the ECU.
> >
> > How do I fix that?
> >

> Alot of alternators have internal regulators. I know my 93 Grand Prix does.
> Even an 85 Camaro has one.

No, his regulator is in the ECU. And either his ECU does indeedhave
problems, or it's not seeing the same voltage as everything else...
are there any codes stored?
Old December 9th 04, 03:57 AM
Joe Pfeiffer

Old December 9th 04, 04:25 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, mike gray wrote:

> Sensible designs have an external regulator. The '92 Caravan does not.

More idiocy from Mike Gray, who, because he is incapable of understanding
"complicated" modern cars, disparages them.

The 1992 Caravan does NOT use an alternator with an internal regulator.