Help tuning carb on '83 Grand Prix 5.0

Old August 27th 04, 04:02 PM
Craig

Default Help tuning carb on '83 Grand Prix 5.0

I recently had to purchase a new carb for my '83 grand prix so that it
would pass the emissions test here in GA. I had a shop do the install
and the retest, which it now passed.

I got the car back and it fired right up and seemed to run great. The
idle seemed a bit low, but the car still ran fine. Next day I turned
on the AC, which I had just finished fixing, and the car would die
almost immediately. I took the car back to the shop that did the
install and the guy there just turned in the idle screw to bump up the
idle. Seemed to fix things ok.

Well, the car now occasionally dies when the AC is on again. I could
just take it back to them, but want to make sure that simply turning
the idle screw is the proper way to tune the carb. I can turn it in
and bump it up, but want to make sure this will not affect how the car
runs at different speeds.

Reason I ask is because this morning it felt like the car wanted to
die when I first gave it some gas at the first light I got to. I let
it warm up for about a minute and went on my way at first start-up.
At the first light, I lightly accelerated, but the car didn't really
respond. The car finally kicked in and took off. I don't want this
to happen, and was wondering if it was a product of simply bumping up
the idle.

Ok, sorry for the long story. What is the proper way to tune the
carb? I've been looking for a pontiac service manual online, but have
not found one yet. I don't really like the Haynes types of manuals.

Thanks for your time.
Craig