VW Jetta 01 (A4) electrical or computer problem with remote starter

Old November 18th 04, 07:41 PM
Perry

Default VW Jetta 01 (A4) electrical or computer problem with remote starter

I had an after market remote car starter installed on my Jetta and
several months later I started experiencing a very wierd electrical
problem.

After driving and using the turn signals (left or right), I turn the
car off, remove the key and lock the doors with the key remote, the
driver side (left) flashers will stay on, (constantly lit). If I play
with unlock and relock it will continue to remain lit. Even if I start
the car, it will remain lit and I can not flash on the driver side. I
have to let it "cool down", meaning that after about an hour of the
light being on with the car off, I relock the doors and then it will
go off.

The dealer had a look at it and they said there was nothing wrong and
that it was a problem with the remote starter. I then had the control
module of the remote starter removed, yet it still does it.

Has anyone seen or heard of anything like this? Please help I'm
getting seriously frustrated with my Jetta.

Perry
Old November 18th 04, 09:45 PM
Rob Guenther

Sounds like a sticking contact in the relay... usually cycling would fix
this problem tho, does it happen all the time? If it does then something is
energizing the coil which pulls those contacts shut to turn on that
light.... After 1 hour your battery run down should turn everything off...
At least it turns the radio and interior lights off... I've never left my
exterior lights on... but I imagine the circuit would turn them off as well.
om...

Old November 18th 04, 09:45 PM
Rob Guenther

Sounds like a sticking contact in the relay... usually cycling would fix
this problem tho, does it happen all the time? If it does then something is
energizing the coil which pulls those contacts shut to turn on that
light.... After 1 hour your battery run down should turn everything off...
At least it turns the radio and interior lights off... I've never left my
exterior lights on... but I imagine the circuit would turn them off as well.
om...

Old November 18th 04, 11:25 PM
Woodchuck

Never heard of that issue yet, but my guess it's because the way the remote
start was installed. If you have an immobilizer on your car I bet they took
an extra key and glued it inside your steering column. That opens the door
for anyone to steel your car. Might want to remove the hazard switch and see
what happens, as it's possible it may be messed up. But I doubt it.

om...

Old November 18th 04, 11:25 PM
Woodchuck

Never heard of that issue yet, but my guess it's because the way the remote
start was installed. If you have an immobilizer on your car I bet they took
an extra key and glued it inside your steering column. That opens the door
for anyone to steel your car. Might want to remove the hazard switch and see
what happens, as it's possible it may be messed up. But I doubt it.

om...

Old November 22nd 04, 04:02 PM
Perry

Thanks for your replies...

Rob:
It does happen all the time after I use the flasher while driving. If
I don't use the flasher at all, then it will not stay lit. After the
"cool down" period I have to manually go and relock the doors and only
at that point will it turn off. If I forget it will stay on
indefinately until the battery dies (which has happened). Do you know
where the coil or relay is located. I was under the impression that it
was the hazzard relay that controls the right and left flashers. Is
there another one?

Woodchuck:
Yes an extra key was installed to bypass the immobilizer. While the
light remains lit and the key is out of the ignition, I have tried
removing the hazard switch and it still remains lit. I have also
removed every single fuse from the fuse box and it still remains lit.
I have not had the time yet to trace where it is getting it's power
from.

Perry

Old November 22nd 04, 04:02 PM
Perry

Old November 22nd 04, 10:12 PM
Rob Guenther

Not 100% sure on the location, the hazard relay I can hear ticking when the
hazards are on, but the ticking doesn't seem to come from there when the
indicators are on... Best bet is to listen very carefully with the car in
accessory mode (no engine noises) and then feel the hazard button, if the
relay is behind it, and ticking you should be able to feel it in rythm with
the ticks.

I'd actually guess that the indicator relay is controlled somewhere else,
somewhere in the dashboard.

I've never had an indicator problem with any car (aside from a bulb once) -
I was just using my knowledge as a Mechatronics Electrician to try to help
you out - relays are relays, they tend to fail the same ways.

If your indicators work fine when the car is running then whatever the car
does when it turns on is de-energizing that light bulb.... either by relay
disengaging or some other means.

You also say you have pulled every fuse... Well your remote starter won't be
on a fuse in your fusebox, they probably installed an in-line fuse somewhere
in your car. It could be that when your car is off, this allows the remote
starter to kick in, so there would be power to its circuits... Maybe somehow
they tied into a common point that that signal light and something is
powering it up - I do find it incredibly odd that the problem can go away
after an hour if you hit your locks again, this would lead me to guess that
your battery rundown circuit is working, but not quite 100% - as the light
doesn't turn off itself.

I'd take the car to the people that messed around with the wiring doing your
remote starter.

om...

Old November 22nd 04, 10:12 PM
Rob Guenther

[...]

om...

Old November 23rd 04, 01:50 AM
Woodchuck

The hazard & turnsignal flasher are now all in the hazard switch.

.. .