Lots of white smoke

Old March 14th 07, 08:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nadeem

Default Lots of white smoke

I have lots of white smoke with a pungent smell coming from the tailpipe of
my '94 Chevy S10.

Is this a problem I can diagnose and solve on my own?

regards

Old March 14th 07, 08:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

Nadeem wrote:
> I have lots of white smoke with a pungent smell coming from the tailpipe of
> my '94 Chevy S10.
>
> Is this a problem I can diagnose and solve on my own?
>
> regards

I would be checking the coolant level expecting to see it low from a bad
headgasket.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old March 14th 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

On Mar 14, 4:11 pm, "Nadeem" > wrote:
> I have lots of white smoke with a pungent smell coming from the tailpipe of
> my '94 Chevy S10.
>
> Is this a problem I can diagnose and solve on my own?
>
> regards

In addition to above, if you have a V6 it could be the intake gasket.

Does it run bad at all or stall at any time?? What size engine??

Old March 14th 07, 09:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nadeem

It's a V6. It does run like it is simply chugging along. Recently, it
overheated and I had to have it towed where the mechanic replaced the
coolant and heater hoses, which were leaking.

ups.com...

Old March 14th 07, 09:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

On Mar 14, 5:17 pm, "Nadeem" > wrote:
> It's a V6. It does run like it is simply chugging along. Recently, it
> overheated and I had to have it towed where the mechanic replaced the
> coolant and heater hoses, which were leaking.
>
> > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> > On Mar 14, 4:11 pm, "Nadeem" > wrote:
> > > I have lots of white smoke with a pungent smell coming from the tailpipe

> of
> > > my '94 Chevy S10.

> > > Is this a problem I can diagnose and solve on my own?

> > > regards

> > In addition to above, if you have a V6 it could be the intake gasket.

> > Does it run bad at all or stall at any time?? What size engine??

If it overheated then started running bad it may be one or both head
gaskets.
A compression test will let you know which head. It would be best to
check both sides.

Depending on your skill you may be able to fix it yourself. But a
mechanic might be better.
If you do decide to do it yourself make sure to research it before you
start.

Old March 15th 07, 01:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Nadeem > wrote:
>I have lots of white smoke with a pungent smell coming from the tailpipe of
>my '94 Chevy S10.
>
>Is this a problem I can diagnose and solve on my own?

It's coolant. The REPLACE ENGINE light has come up on the dashboard.
Or at the least, the head gasket.
--scott
Old March 15th 07, 08:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On Mar 15, 8:34 am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
> Nadeem > wrote:
> >I have lots of white smoke with a pungent smell coming from the tailpipe of
> >my '94 Chevy S10.

> >Is this a problem I can diagnose and solve on my own?

> It's coolant. The REPLACE ENGINE light has come up on the dashboard.
> Or at the least, the head gasket.
> --scott

Could possibly be ATF being sucked through the vacuum modulator, if
your transmisison has one. However, based on the statement that it's
overheated, I suspect that previous posters are correct and it's
either intake gaskets, head gasket(s), or both. (the intake gaskets
have to be replaced to replace the head gaskets, anyway.)

If the coolant level is low, check the oil. If there's any sign of
"milkshake," just start tearing it down, it's at least one head
gasket.

nate

Old March 15th 07, 10:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

Nadeem wrote:
> It's a V6. It does run like it is simply chugging along. Recently, it
> overheated and I had to have it towed where the mechanic replaced the
> coolant and heater hoses, which were leaking.

If that's the case, I'm guessing you have a blown head gasket at a
minimum, warped/cracked head if you're less lucky, or a cracked block or
holed piston if you're really unlucky.

Old March 16th 07, 12:02 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nadeem

I am taking it apart to see if the gaskets should be replaced. However, I
am having trouble getting the rear exhaust manifold bolts off, there is not
enough clearance to get a insert normal socket and ratchet.

Should I buy a "thin profile" socket or is there another way of removing
them. The bolts are not only hard to reach in a tight space, but are
recessed as well, so it seems the only tool that can get a grip is a socket.

regards

Old March 16th 07, 01:34 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Nadeem wrote:
> I am taking it apart to see if the gaskets should be replaced. However, I
> am having trouble getting the rear exhaust manifold bolts off, there is not
> enough clearance to get a insert normal socket and ratchet.
>
> Should I buy a "thin profile" socket or is there another way of removing
> them. The bolts are not only hard to reach in a tight space, but are
> recessed as well, so it seems the only tool that can get a grip is a socket.
>
> regards
>

> "Nadeem" > wrote in message
>
>>I have lots of white smoke with a pungent smell coming from the tailpipe

> of
>
>>my '94 Chevy S10.
>>
>>Is this a problem I can diagnose and solve on my own?
>>
>>regards

just buy a cheap six point socket and grind the diameter down until it
will comfortably fit in the recesses. You'll probably crack it before
you're done, so go ahead and buy two.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

White Smoke Mustang_69 Corvette 9 January 3rd 07 04:28 PM
White smoke...Any chance it will go away? supafly Technology 9 May 17th 06 08:17 PM
mower white smoke [email protected] Technology 18 May 12th 06 11:44 PM
White smoke - muffler - car hiccups [email protected] VW water cooled 6 January 4th 06 06:48 AM
white/blue smoke Mr.Wayne Gibson 4x4 2 October 1st 05 10:27 AM