fuel line 1978 Vette:

Old October 20th 04, 02:38 AM
Process45

Default fuel line 1978 Vette:

Has anyone replced the fuel line that runs from the gas tank to the fuel pump?I
just replaced the one ftom the pump to the carb. I was wondering how hard a job
it is. The fuel line seems to run in the frame on the passenger side. I
purchased the new lines made of stainless from Corvette Central. Any help will
be appreciated.
Old October 20th 04, 05:06 AM
Tom in Missouri

It is much easier with the body off.

With the body on, some places are very hard.

Old October 20th 04, 05:06 AM
Tom in Missouri

Old October 20th 04, 07:24 PM
WayneC

Process45 wrote:
> Has anyone replced the fuel line that runs from the gas tank to the fuel pump?I
> just replaced the one ftom the pump to the carb. I was wondering how hard a job
> it is. The fuel line seems to run in the frame on the passenger side. I
> purchased the new lines made of stainless from Corvette Central. Any help will
> be appreciated.

I'm not that familiar with the 78, but I think it is the same as earlier
Vettes (63 through 82) in that it runs through the frame only for a
couple of feet (goes into a hole in the front of the right rear frame
kickup near the top and exits out the inside of the rear frame rail),
while the rest of the line runs externally, above the frame cross
members, snug against the inside top of the right frame rail.

I doubt there's any way to get the new fuel line in without:

1. cutting it (and splicing it with fuel line hose, probably near the
ends or at the cross member positions), or

2. raising the body high enough off the frame to put the line in place.

The problem is that you cannot, considering the pronounced bends at both
ends of the fuel line, wriggle the fuel line over the crossmembers and
into the rear kickup. Even with the line cut, you still have to figure
out how to get it positioned and clamped inside the rear kickup (that's
an extremely tight space with the body in the way). It might be possible
to remove all the body & radiator mount bolts, bumper brackets, steering
rag joint, etc, and raise the body on the right side with floor jacks
and some lumber (to spread the load) just enough to allow you to slide
the fuel line in place.

Depending on the condition of the old line, you might also consider just
replacing the portion of the fuel line that is accessible, by splicing a
portion of the new line into the old line... ie, leave the rearmost
portion of the old line in place.

Old October 20th 04, 07:24 PM
WayneC

Old October 22nd 04, 08:41 PM
Donald Rogers

My 76 has the lines sitting atop the frame rail in the rear section.There
are no sections running through any frame rails.Also very easily installed
with the body lifted.
Donald

Old October 22nd 04, 08:41 PM
Donald Rogers

Old November 2nd 04, 02:15 PM
JCORVETTE 72&75

Old November 2nd 04, 02:15 PM
JCORVETTE 72&75

Just bought my first vette!!!!! Questions... jameson Corvette 82 October 20th 04 07:17 PM
E39 fuel sender P-u-h-e-k BMW 2 October 11th 04 05:04 PM
Fuel fitting size Drink Corvette 0 September 21st 04 05:15 AM
76 Difficult Cold Starts daveo76 Corvette 22 September 9th 04 12:54 AM