'98 Concorde won't start / dies while driving

Old July 12th 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe Brown

Default '98 Concorde won't start / dies while driving

I have a 1998 Chrysler Concorde LX, 2.7l, with under 88,000 miles. My wife
drives it 90% of the time and she keeps telling me of problems starting and
dying while driving. I have experienced it several times myself, or I
wouldn't believe her. It seems to die more when under 1/4 tank of fuel, but
has a hard time starting at various fuel levels, temperatures (ambient and
engine), and when restarting after it dies. Many times after it dies, it
will kick and buck upon restart. Sometimes it will die when driving at any
speed, and other times when stopping. I have taken it to numerous mechanics
who can find nothing wrong. The plugs and pcv valve have been replaced. I
replaced the auto shutoff and fuel pump relays which seemed to help for about
3 months, then it started again. Also, it has been using alot of oil (4-5
quarts every 3k miles), but no sludge buildup, as it is burning it. Please
help!
Old July 12th 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Larry Crites

My 1999 Intrepid (2.7L) would stall when I got down to half a tank. I tried
the relays, also. Didn't fix it. Dealer couldn't figure anything out. Local
shop checked everything topside, then went to the tank. The fuel module
(pump, filter, etc.) would not hold pressure. They replaced the module,
haven't had a problem since. This may or may not be your problem.

Larry
Behold Beware Believe

Old July 12th 06, 08:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"Joe Brown" <u24034@uwe> wrote in message news:63241a25ac180@uwe...
> I have a 1998 Chrysler Concorde LX, 2.7l, with under 88,000 miles. My

wife
> drives it 90% of the time and she keeps telling me of problems starting

and
> dying while driving. I have experienced it several times myself, or I
> wouldn't believe her. It seems to die more when under 1/4 tank of fuel,

but
> has a hard time starting at various fuel levels, temperatures (ambient and
> engine), and when restarting after it dies. Many times after it dies, it
> will kick and buck upon restart. Sometimes it will die when driving at

any
> speed, and other times when stopping. I have taken it to numerous

mechanics
> who can find nothing wrong. The plugs and pcv valve have been replaced.

> replaced the auto shutoff and fuel pump relays which seemed to help for

about
> 3 months, then it started again. Also, it has been using alot of oil (4-5
> quarts every 3k miles), but no sludge buildup, as it is burning it.

Please
> help!

Has the check engine lite ever come on? Did the technician find any fault
codes in the past?

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old July 12th 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe Brown

The only time it came on, the fault code was for an O2 sensor. I replaced it
(it was fouled out) and the light never came on again after reset. Techs
have never found any fault codes and all checked out fine while computer was
hooked up on test drives. Could O2 sensors cause it to die if fouled by
contamination from excessive oil burn?

--
Joe Brown
Old July 12th 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Larry Crites wrote:

> "Joe Brown" <u24034@uwe> wrote in message news:63241a25ac180@uwe...
>
>>I have a 1998 Chrysler Concorde LX, 2.7l, with under 88,000 miles. My wife
>>drives it 90% of the time and she keeps telling me of problems starting
>>and
>>dying while driving. I have experienced it several times myself, or I
>>wouldn't believe her. It seems to die more when under 1/4 tank of fuel,
>>but
>>has a hard time starting at various fuel levels, temperatures (ambient and
>>engine), and when restarting after it dies. Many times after it dies, it
>>will kick and buck upon restart. Sometimes it will die when driving at
>>any
>>speed, and other times when stopping. I have taken it to numerous
>>mechanics
>>who can find nothing wrong. The plugs and pcv valve have been replaced.
>>replaced the auto shutoff and fuel pump relays which seemed to help for
>>about
>>3 months, then it started again. Also, it has been using alot of oil (4-5
>>quarts every 3k miles), but no sludge buildup, as it is burning it.
>>Please
>>help!

> My 1999 Intrepid (2.7L) would stall when I got down to half a tank. I

tried
> the relays, also. Didn't fix it. Dealer couldn't figure anything out.

Local
> shop checked everything topside, then went to the tank. The fuel module
> (pump, filter, etc.) would not hold pressure. They replaced the module,
> haven't had a problem since. This may or may not be your problem.

I tend to agree that a new fuel pump will fix it based on several posts
of similar symptoms on the 300M forums - seems the OP always posts back
that ultimately a new fuel pump/sender unit fixed it.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old July 12th 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"Joe Brown" <u24034@uwe> wrote in message news:6326b84bfcf07@uwe...
> The only time it came on, the fault code was for an O2 sensor. I replaced

it
> (it was fouled out) and the light never came on again after reset. Techs
> have never found any fault codes and all checked out fine while computer

was
> hooked up on test drives. Could O2 sensors cause it to die if fouled by
> contamination from excessive oil burn?
>
> --
> Joe Brown

If the fuel pump was at fault the car would not just shut off with out
notice, it would slowly die out or loose power. Once the pump quits there is
still some fuel pressure in the lines, as the injectors open, the fuel
pressure gets lower and lower until the engine just stalls out.
A crank or cam sensor for instance would just shut the engine down with out
any warning, just like turning off a lite.
I have seen several problems as the one you are experiencing and have not
been able to actually verify it but 9 out of 10 times it is the fuel pump.
Diagnosing the symptoms, replacing the pump and never come back.
The fuel pump will not set a fault code either but a good technician with a
good diagnostic scanner may be able to see that the adaptive fuel memory is
in the high + numbers indicating that it is running lean

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler tech