Better gasket

Old July 20th 05, 10:23 PM
Jake

Default Better gasket

Do you experienced wrench-twisters prefer MOPAR, Fel-Pro, Cortico, or ?,
when doing a job for yourself? I always used Fel-Pro in the 70's, but have
been away from major engine repairs for 10 years----till now.
Thoughts?
Jake.

Old July 21st 05, 03:35 AM
Shakes73

"" wrote:
> Do you experienced wrench-twisters prefer MOPAR, Fel-Pro,
> Cortico, or ?,
> when doing a job for yourself? I always used Fel-Pro in the
> 70's, but have
> been away from major engine repairs for 10 years----till now.
> Thoughts?
> Jake.

As far as gaskets go Fel-Pro is the best in my opinion,been using them
for years! Unless building drag or race cares then I use something
else being that Fel-Pro doesn’t make most of the special gaskets I
need.

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Chrysler-g...ict129925.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=633176
Old July 21st 05, 04:36 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Jake wrote:

> Do you experienced wrench-twisters prefer MOPAR, Fel-Pro, Cortico, or ?,
> when doing a job for yourself? I always used Fel-Pro in the 70's, but
> have been away from major engine repairs for 10 years----till now.
> Thoughts?

Impossible to answer completely *or* correctly until you tell us which
specific gasket on what specific engine in what make, model and year of
vehicle you're working with.

Anybody who tells you any particular company makes all the best gaskets
(distributor caps, light bulbs, tires, oil, whatever) is full of poo.
Every product company has hits and misses.)
Old July 21st 05, 11:12 AM
N8N

Jake wrote:
> Do you experienced wrench-twisters prefer MOPAR, Fel-Pro, Cortico, or ?,
> when doing a job for yourself? I always used Fel-Pro in the 70's, but have
> been away from major engine repairs for 10 years----till now.
> Thoughts?
> Jake.

I can't specifically answer your question, but my experience is that
Fel-Pro still makes a decent product (I've used their gasket sets on
Studebaker engines, but have not had any experience with a competitive
product mostly because I haven't found one...)

nate

Old July 21st 05, 02:01 PM
Jake

I conceed it was a vague, subjective question. I was fishing for opinions
in general. I had never heard of "Corteco" until I did some web surfing for
parts. They seem to have a big market reach. (Surprise) --I began to
suspect that my experiences from the 70's might be irrelevant. I hate that.
Thanks for your opinions.
Jake.

Old July 21st 05, 05:37 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, N8N wrote:

> I can't specifically answer your question, but my experience is that
> Fel-Pro still makes a decent product

This is changing fast since the MBAssholes at Federal-Mogul got their
greedy little paws on Fel-Pro. Over the last couple years, I've watched
money (and features, and quality) get taken out of Fel-Pro gaskets that
have been excellent for a long time.
Old July 25th 05, 01:30 PM
Richard Ehrenberg

If it's an engine with alum heads and iron block, get a MLS gasket and be
done with it. Cometic makes them for virtually everything; Fel-Pro now has a
partal line (mainly engines for which MLS was OEM.)

On something like a 2.0 or the ol' Trenton 2.2L, the durabilty difference
with MLS is astounding.

Rick

news

Old July 25th 05, 07:05 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, Richard Ehrenberg wrote:

> If it's an engine with alum heads and iron block, get a MLS gasket and
> be done with it. Cometic makes them for virtually everything

I have a bimetal Mopar engine (aluminum block, iron head, made at Trenton)
for which Cometic doesn't make anything. I checked with them; they said
"We're too busy right now, try back in Autumn and maybe we'll look at it".

So I suppose that's something...

Head Gasket Help Dave Skirrow Technology 17 January 17th 05 06:46 PM
4.0 Head Gasket Oil Leak DougW Jeep 8 December 23rd 04 02:42 AM
Head Gasket Leak? maxpower Chrysler 4 October 11th 04 03:00 PM
Head Gasket Leak? Mandrake Chrysler 0 October 10th 04 10:16 PM
Gasket replacement - 1992 525i Scott BMW 6 October 2nd 04 04:02 AM