How to disconnect battery

Old July 15th 05, 02:16 AM

Default How to disconnect battery

Hi, All:

I need to disconnect negative battery cable. Which tools do I need? Do
I need to use something like Battery Clamp Puller or Battery Clamp
spreader etc?

Rick

Old July 15th 05, 02:58 AM

depends on the type of battery connection.

Normal post and clamp, you loosen the bolt that goes across the end of
the clamp, stck a big screwdriver in to lever it open and pull it off.

The other one you remove a screw from the middle of the connector and
pull the cable off.

Get a little battery post brush and clean it before reinstalling.

Make sure the cable cannot touch the other terminal.

Old July 15th 05, 11:21 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi, All:
>
> I need to disconnect negative battery cable. Which tools do I need? Do
> I need to use something like Battery Clamp Puller or Battery Clamp
> spreader etc?

If it is in good condition then removal is obvious and I would assume your
not being silly enough to ask. So obviously yours are a top post, encrusted
in crud, like most of them out there.

With these what I do is use a couple pair of vice grips to try to undo the
bolt, if the bolt snaps then no big deal. Then use a punch and hammer
aganst the inside side of the clamp where the bolt goes through, hit it a
few times that will help to loosen the clamp. If the clamp is still glued
to the post then use a clamp puller.

Once you have the clamp off, soak in water and baking soda, then wire
brush it to get all the corrosion off. Usually by working at the bolt with
vice grips you can get it out of the clamp then put a new bolt in, but if
the clamp is too badly deteriorated then just replace the entire cable.

On reeassembly make sure to use the anticorrosion spray.

Ted

Old July 15th 05, 06:22 PM

by a manual auto 101

Old July 16th 05, 07:58 PM
ed

What are you taking it off for? You might want to just leave it alone.

oups.com...

Old July 17th 05, 10:24 PM

Thanks! Just use a adjustable wrench to get the job done.

Old July 18th 05, 12:20 AM
~^Johnny^~

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info

new alternator - battery light on, but still charging at 16v? [email protected] Technology 8 February 11th 05 11:38 PM
Battery replacement comments and questions Tom's VR6 VW water cooled 1 November 12th 04 07:12 PM
battery question Jim Beaver General 14 November 6th 04 11:54 PM
Alfa Romeo 156 alarm won't turn off problem Alfie Norks Alfa Romeo 14 October 23rd 04 04:33 AM
Replacing Corroded Battery Cables for SL1 2000 Chris Gutierrez Saturn 2 June 28th 04 03:40 AM