careful following that F150

Old May 10th 11, 03:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bob Urz

Default careful following that F150

by Tom Krisher, AP Auto Writer

DETROIT (AP) — U.S. safety regulators are investigating a fuel tank
problem that could affect more than 2.7 million Ford F-150 pickup trucks.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Monday that the
steel straps holding up the truck's gas tank can rust and break,
possibly causing a fuel spill and fire. No injuries have been reported
from the possible defect.

The agency is looking into trucks from the 1997 through 2001 model
years. NHTSA's investigations often lead to recalls.

NHTSA began looking at the fuel tank problem last year after it received
32 complaints. NHTSA and Ford have now received 243 reports of the tanks
falling. In two incidents, a fire started when the fuel tank fell. One
of the fires destroyed the pickup, while the other extinguished itself.

NHTSA said there was fuel leakage in 95 of the reported incidents. Nine
reported sparks when the tank dropped on the road, which would increase
the likelihood of a fire.

Ford said it's cooperating with the investigation. Company spokesman Wes
Sherwood said owners with questions should contact their dealers.

Old May 11th 11, 12:41 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
aemeijers

On 5/9/2011 10:48 PM, bob urz wrote:
> by Tom Krisher, AP Auto Writer
>
> DETROIT (AP) — U.S. safety regulators are investigating a fuel tank
> problem that could affect more than 2.7 million Ford F-150 pickup trucks.
>
> The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Monday that the
> steel straps holding up the truck's gas tank can rust and break,
> possibly causing a fuel spill and fire. No injuries have been reported
> from the possible defect.
>
> The agency is looking into trucks from the 1997 through 2001 model
> years. NHTSA's investigations often lead to recalls.
>
> NHTSA began looking at the fuel tank problem last year after it received
> 32 complaints. NHTSA and Ford have now received 243 reports of the tanks
> falling. In two incidents, a fire started when the fuel tank fell. One
> of the fires destroyed the pickup, while the other extinguished itself.
>
> NHTSA said there was fuel leakage in 95 of the reported incidents. Nine
> reported sparks when the tank dropped on the road, which would increase
> the likelihood of a fire.
>
> Ford said it's cooperating with the investigation. Company spokesman Wes
> Sherwood said owners with questions should contact their dealers.

Shrug. Been a problem on old trucks in salt country for decades. Almost
always starts with visible leaks and gas odor when parked, so shame on
any owner that doesn't notice and take corrective measures. Mebbe they
have plastic tanks now, so no early symptoms.

--
aem sends...
Old May 11th 11, 12:45 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

I saw a news item on TV news about six hours ago about fuel pumps which
are mounted inside fuel tanks.They said don't let the fuel level get
below the pick up tube (whatever) of the fuel pump.It can cost anywhere
from about $300.00 to over $1,000 for repair.They said don't let the
fuel level get below one quarter of a tank.
cuhulin

Old May 11th 11, 01:07 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

bob urz > wrote in :

> Ford said it's cooperating with the investigation. Company spokesman Wes
> Sherwood said owners with questions should contact their dealers.

I heard that Ray LaHood said that Ford owners should park their trucks
indefinitely, as they are clearly unsafe to drive.

--
Tegger
Old May 11th 11, 03:42 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

bob urz wrote:
> by Tom Krisher, AP Auto Writer
>
> DETROIT (AP) — U.S. safety regulators are investigating a fuel tank
> problem that could affect more than 2.7 million Ford F-150 pickup trucks.
>
> The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Monday that the
> steel straps holding up the truck's gas tank can rust and break,
> possibly causing a fuel spill and fire. No injuries have been reported
> from the possible defect.
>
> The agency is looking into trucks from the 1997 through 2001 model
> years. NHTSA's investigations often lead to recalls.
>
> NHTSA began looking at the fuel tank problem last year after it received
> 32 complaints. NHTSA and Ford have now received 243 reports of the tanks
> falling. In two incidents, a fire started when the fuel tank fell. One
> of the fires destroyed the pickup, while the other extinguished itself.
>
> NHTSA said there was fuel leakage in 95 of the reported incidents. Nine
> reported sparks when the tank dropped on the road, which would increase
> the likelihood of a fire.
>
> Ford said it's cooperating with the investigation. Company spokesman Wes
> Sherwood said owners with questions should contact their dealers.

Gee you mean that the steel straps under a 10-15 year old vehicle could
be rusty??
Those straps that are right near the STEEL brake lines that are also
rusting??
Under the cab and box that are probably full of rust holes with the cab
mounts that are falling....

--
Steve W.
Old May 11th 11, 03:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Ray LaHood said Ford trucks should be parked indefinitely? I wonder what
kind of vehicle he owns? If it isn't a Ford, he should buy a Ford.
cuhulin

Old May 11th 11, 10:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

> wrote in message
> Ray LaHood said Ford trucks should be parked indefinitely? I wonder what
> kind of vehicle he owns? If it isn't a Ford, he should buy a Ford.
> cuhulin

Ford trucks are, according to owners, some of the best
on the American market..

In tank fuel pumps need cooling and lubrication, which
they get from fuel. GM, Ford, all of them have about the
same engineering problems.

In general, it is NOT a problem. What makes it a problem
is the super high prices of the fuel pump modules in recent
vehicles.

Old May 12th 11, 01:00 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

hls > wrote:

>In general, it is NOT a problem. What makes it a problem
>is the super high prices of the fuel pump modules in recent
>vehicles.

Not to mention the difficulty of getting to the damn things.
--scott
Old May 12th 11, 02:01 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Scott Dorsey" > wrote in message
> hls > wrote:
>>
>>In general, it is NOT a problem. What makes it a problem
>>is the super high prices of the fuel pump modules in recent
>>vehicles.

> Not to mention the difficulty of getting to the damn things.
> --scott
> --

Amen!

Be careful out there Dad[_1_] Corvette 2 November 16th 08 04:22 PM
Careful....... Pink Freud©® Jeep 0 January 31st 08 08:44 AM
Let's be careful out there, Billie L.W.\(ßill\)Hughes III Auto Photos 152 January 16th 08 09:18 AM
Be careful Chicago Paddling-Fishing VW water cooled 5 July 18th 06 04:28 PM
Be careful folks DougW Jeep 0 September 6th 05 04:56 AM