Hypothetical question: tires & curb damage

Old September 7th 06, 09:30 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Class-1

Default Hypothetical question: tires & curb damage

Through lack of skill or by accident, most driver will occasionally
scuff their tires against a concrete curb. For ex. through poor parking
skills or by having to squeeze past other cars along a very narrow
road.

How much rubbing damage (scratches, scuffs, etc) is permissible to the
sidewall of a tire before it would have to be replaced? Or is minor
scuffing to be considered part of 'normal wear & tear'?

Old September 7th 06, 12:04 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

"Class-1" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Through lack of skill or by accident, most driver will occasionally
> scuff their tires against a concrete curb. For ex. through poor parking
> skills or by having to squeeze past other cars along a very narrow
> road.
>
> How much rubbing damage (scratches, scuffs, etc) is permissible to the
> sidewall of a tire before it would have to be replaced? Or is minor
> scuffing to be considered part of 'normal wear & tear'?

Scuffing normally OK - any cuts = replace.

Old September 7th 06, 12:06 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dodgy

On 7 Sep 2006 01:30:02 -0700, "Class-1" > waffled
on about something:

>Through lack of skill or by accident, most driver will occasionally
>scuff their tires against a concrete curb. For ex. through poor parking
>skills or by having to squeeze past other cars along a very narrow
>road.
>
>How much rubbing damage (scratches, scuffs, etc) is permissible to the
>sidewall of a tire before it would have to be replaced? Or is minor
>scuffing to be considered part of 'normal wear & tear'?

I can't speak for other countries, but in the UK normal scuffing of
the outer rubber layer is expected and will be allowed through an MOT.
Cuts, chunks of rubber missing, sidewall nylon ply visible will not.

Also the if the rubber is crazed, and looks aged or weak, they will
often pull you up on that.

You will also fail if the side wall has any unusual bulges, usually a
sign of over heating due to exceeding the rated speed.

Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

Got a question for someone who lnow about auto tires out there.. kraut Technology 23 August 10th 06 03:59 AM
Does tirefoam damage tires? [email protected] Technology 1 July 15th 06 01:34 AM
Door Hinge Damage Question Class 1 BMW 4 January 9th 05 06:57 PM
Snow tire question Eric Mark Saturn 10 December 12th 04 09:02 PM
Stupid question about tires Robert P. Saturn 3 September 9th 04 12:15 AM