Learning Recreation Vehicle the easy way

Old May 8th 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Learning Recreation Vehicle the easy way

A minimal RV typically contains beds, a table, food preparation and
storage areas. Larger models add full bathrooms, refrigerators, living
areas, master bedrooms, etc. Some RVs are very elaborate, with
satellite TV and internet access, slide-out sections, and awnings; many
RVs can cost (new) from less then $10,000 to $100,000 with some costing
over $1 million. These high end RVs typically need to be financed by
banks or specialized lenders.
Many RVers stay at RV parks, most of which feature electrical, water
and sewer service (full hookups), as well as cable television and
wireless Internet. Amenties often include swimming pools, gamerooms and
even destination-resort activities such as horseback riding. While
others prefer staying at locations in rural, remote areas, called
Boondocking and still others at public campgrounds with minimal
facilities.
Advantages of RVs include not having to move one's things in and out of
motel rooms, not having to rent multiple motel rooms, sleeping in a bed
one is comfortable with and the fact that preparing food saves money
compared to eating in restaurants. At the same time, an RV provides
more organized living space and better protection from the weather than
a tent. Children also tend to like RVs.
Disadvantages of RVs include low fuel economy for the motorized RV or
tow vehicle, lack of maid service as experienced in motels (maid
service is available at a few high-end resorts), and larger RV models
can be hard for the novice to drive or tow.
Some people also live in RVs because they lack funds for more
conventional housing.
Similarly, RVs '' specifically, trailers which strongly resemble travel
trailers, but usually with fewer amenities '' have been used to
temporarily house victims of natural disasters. A notable example is
Hurricane Katrina; the federal disaster relief agency FEMA has ordered
large numbers of such trailers to house victims of the storm in
Louisiana and Mississippi.
Some people craft their own RVs out of cars, vans, or even used
schoolbuses.
Elkhart, Indiana, is known as the "RV Capital of the World" because it
is home to many RV manufacturers, including, Forest River, Heartland
RV, the Damon Corporation, Four Winds, Hy-Line, Keystone, Monaco, Sun
Valley, and Travel Supreme. Many other manufacturers, including
Dutchman, Gulf Stream, and Jayco, can be found in the nearby towns of
Goshen, Middlebury, Nappanee, and Wakarusa. In 2005, these locales
experienced a boom because of the large number of trailers ordered to
house Hurricane Katrina victims.
http://recreationvehiclexfrd.blogspot.com/

Old May 9th 06, 12:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>A minimal RV typically contains beds, a table, food preparation and
> storage areas. Larger models add full bathrooms, refrigerators, living
> areas, master bedrooms, etc. Some RVs are very elaborate, with
> satellite TV and internet access, slide-out sections, and awnings; many
> RVs can cost (new) from less then $10,000 to $100,000 with some costing
> over $1 million. These high end RVs typically need to be financed by
> banks or specialized lenders.
> Many RVers stay at RV parks, most of which feature electrical, water
> and sewer service (full hookups), as well as cable television and
> wireless Internet. Amenties often include swimming pools, gamerooms and
> even destination-resort activities such as horseback riding. While
> others prefer staying at locations in rural, remote areas, called
> Boondocking and still others at public campgrounds with minimal
> facilities.
> Advantages of RVs include not having to move one's things in and out of
> motel rooms, not having to rent multiple motel rooms, sleeping in a bed
> one is comfortable with and the fact that preparing food saves money
> compared to eating in restaurants. At the same time, an RV provides
> more organized living space and better protection from the weather than
> a tent. Children also tend to like RVs.
> Disadvantages of RVs include low fuel economy for the motorized RV or
> tow vehicle, lack of maid service as experienced in motels (maid
> service is available at a few high-end resorts), and larger RV models
> can be hard for the novice to drive or tow.
> Some people also live in RVs because they lack funds for more
> conventional housing.
> Similarly, RVs '' specifically, trailers which strongly resemble travel
> trailers, but usually with fewer amenities '' have been used to
> temporarily house victims of natural disasters. A notable example is
> Hurricane Katrina; the federal disaster relief agency FEMA has ordered
> large numbers of such trailers to house victims of the storm in
> Louisiana and Mississippi.
> Some people craft their own RVs out of cars, vans, or even used
> schoolbuses.
> Elkhart, Indiana, is known as the "RV Capital of the World" because it
> is home to many RV manufacturers, including, Forest River, Heartland
> RV, the Damon Corporation, Four Winds, Hy-Line, Keystone, Monaco, Sun
> Valley, and Travel Supreme. Many other manufacturers, including
> Dutchman, Gulf Stream, and Jayco, can be found in the nearby towns of
> Goshen, Middlebury, Nappanee, and Wakarusa. In 2005, these locales
> experienced a boom because of the large number of trailers ordered to
> house Hurricane Katrina victims.
> http://recreationvehiclexfrd.blogspot.com/

The pros and cons of RVs have been debated in the past and, IIRC, over long
distances it is cheaper to fly, rent a car and stay at the motel. Friends
who have sold their homes and live in their RV aver that the lack of
property taxes and other home expenses make the RV experience very
affordable (if a little cramped). Mostly, the kids get the leftover stuff
from the former family estate. Houseboaters would claim the same advantage
but they are stuck at the dock. Using RVs for hurricane victims is good for
the victims and the manufacturers; not so good for the taxpayers (if you
ever lived or studied in an obsolete quonset hut at your state run school,
you will know what the government thought was high living in the 1940's).
The government's next initiative might be to try to shame us with the "is
this trip necessary?" meme. I'm guessing we will eventually have a high
speed rail system linking NY to LA and Chicago to New Orleans (built by the
government bailed-out GM) and if you don't like that you won't be
travelling. Just my opinion.......