Door stuck shut covers panel screws (how to remove?)

Old February 28th 06, 09:22 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.trucks,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default Door stuck shut covers panel screws (how to remove?)

> Since the truck is 7 years old, it makes sense for me to purchase the
> 4Runner factory shop manual. I thought the Chilton's would do it but I
> hear (from googling) that the Toyota 4Runner Factory Repair Manual is
> the way to go. I will stop by the dealer before the weekend to see if
> they have it in stock.

Good news and bad news on the $200 dollar Toyota shop manuals.

The good news is that they arrived in less than a week and that the two
repair manuals total about four inches of paper. The electrical wiring
diagram manual is only about 1/4 inch thick, but it's in color.

The bad news is that I read the section on how to remove and replace the
front driver's power door lock and latch assembly (Body - Front Door pages
BO8 to BO10) and if I didn't already know how to do it, I'd be confused.

To be fair, at least I didn't have to figure out which diagram to use like
I did with the Chilton shop manual. But, the writing in this manual looks
like it came from someone who never did the job. For example, step 5 says
"remove the two clips and the two screws". If I didn't already do the job,
I'd never know this is the two push/pull anchors (one near the A pillar and
one near the B pillar) in the door panel and the two screws can only be the
two screws below the velour arm rest as there are only three screws in the
whole door.

The Toyota shop manual does show there are 8 clips to be removed around the
perimeter of the door panel, but it doesn't state that the front most
center most clip is a DIFFERENT type which has to be slid off or it will
break the panel (which is what happened to me).

Nonetheless, I'm glad I received the shop manuals so I can move on to the
next job (brakes).

Thanks again for all your help. I always go to here to look first how to do
a job and I hope this helps the folks who follow us.

Stu