Car Donation Question

Old November 28th 04, 11:39 PM
Vivek Hungund

Default Car Donation Question

Does anyone know the charity with the phone number 1-888-hug-kids?
Here is an ad they placed in a classified:
http://www.independent.com/classifie...tplace2004.htm
and the text:
$2,000 SHOPPING SPREE (+s & h) - Donate your car. Max tax deduction,
any condition. Free pickup. Kids in Need. 1-888-HUG-KIDS
(1-888-484-5437) (Cal-SCAN)

I'm skeptical about it, especially the $2000 shopping spree. I tried
to search for exactly what charity it is, but couldn't find a name.
Does anyone know if this is a legit thing? Does anyone know how I
would be able to find out if this is a legit charity?
Oh, and also, what does Cal-SCAN mean?

Thanks in advance.
Old November 29th 04, 07:06 AM
Freddie Newsgroup

There is a legitimate group here in Canada that uses this program to raise
funds and is quite successful at it too. I believe it is the Kidney people.

om...

Old November 29th 04, 06:53 PM
Determinator

"Freddie Newsgroup" > wrote in message
> There is a legitimate group here in Canada that uses this program to raise
> funds and is quite successful at it too. I believe it is the Kidney

people.

I donated my old clunker to the Alberta Kidney Foundation.. but they only
give a tax receipt for the scrap value of the vehicle ($50) rather than a
blue book value.

Old November 30th 04, 08:57 AM
Christopher Green

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:53:54 -0700, "Determinator"
> wrote:

>"Freddie Newsgroup" > wrote in message
>> There is a legitimate group here in Canada that uses this program to raise
>> funds and is quite successful at it too. I believe it is the Kidney

>people.
>>

>I donated my old clunker to the Alberta Kidney Foundation.. but they only
>give a tax receipt for the scrap value of the vehicle ($50) rather than a
>blue book value.

Which is reasonable, because the blue book value is only a measure of
the value of a car that conforms to the description of vehicles rated
by the blue book and that somebody would actually buy. The market
value of a car nobody wants is either scrap or zero.

--
Chris Green

Old December 12th 04, 08:22 AM

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:53:54 -0700, "Determinator"
> wrote:

>"Freddie Newsgroup" > wrote in message
>> There is a legitimate group here in Canada that uses this program to raise
>> funds and is quite successful at it too. I believe it is the Kidney

>people.
>>

>I donated my old clunker to the Alberta Kidney Foundation.. but they only
>give a tax receipt for the scrap value of the vehicle ($50) rather than a
>blue book value.

Maybe you should tell us the year/make/model and condition of the car
to the full effect of your issue. Did the car even run?

Thx,

Tom @ www.FreelancingProjects.com
Old December 12th 04, 09:47 PM

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 12:06:34 -0800, David Ross >

>> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:53:54 -0700, "Determinator"
>> > wrote:
>>

>> >"Freddie Newsgroup" > wrote in message
>> >people.
>> >>

>> >I donated my old clunker to the Alberta Kidney Foundation.. but they only
>> >give a tax receipt for the scrap value of the vehicle ($50) rather than a
>> >blue book value.
>> >

>> Maybe you should tell us the year/make/model and condition of the car
>> to the full effect of your issue. Did the car even run?

>Starting in January 2005, a charity receiving a donated automobile
>and then selling it must report the sales price to the IRS and the
>donor. The donor's itemized charitable deduction will then be
>limited to that amount.

Oh, that's a big change. Let me see if I get it. Rather than writing
off the 'book value' the charity will sell the vehicle and tell you
how much they got, so you can write off that amount?

Makes me further solidify my option that car donation programs are
tinderboxes for corruption. IMHO: Sell your car yourself, and donate
that money directly.

later,

tom @ www.URLBee.com

Old December 13th 04, 06:41 AM
David Ross

> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 12:06:34 -0800, David Ross >

> >> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:53:54 -0700, "Determinator"

> >> Maybe you should tell us the year/make/model and condition of the car
> >> to the full effect of your issue. Did the car even run?

> >Starting in January 2005, a charity receiving a donated automobile
> >and then selling it must report the sales price to the IRS and the
> >donor. The donor's itemized charitable deduction will then be
> >limited to that amount.

> Oh, that's a big change. Let me see if I get it. Rather than writing
> off the 'book value' the charity will sell the vehicle and tell you
> how much they got, so you can write off that amount?
>
> Makes me further solidify my option that car donation programs are
> tinderboxes for corruption. IMHO: Sell your car yourself, and donate
> that money directly.

That's what I've been saying for six years at
<http://www.rossde.com/donate_car.html>.

Someone with an old car wanting to make a donation has two
choices:

Donate the car to a charity; let the charity collect about 1/3 of
the car's value (the rest going to the broker who sells the car);
and risk an audit by the IRS.

or

Sell the car yourself (priced cheaply for a quick sale); give a
charity a cash donation (the charity receiving the full amount);
and get a receipt that you can show the IRS.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

complies with Web standards. See <http://www.mozilla.org/>.

Ignorant question. Jeepers Jeep 9 January 15th 05 06:42 AM
Where to get Official Speed Limit Info [email protected] Driving 40 January 3rd 05 08:10 AM
009 Distributor question [email protected] VW air cooled 5 December 31st 04 10:52 AM
JEEP question - 4.0 vs 4.0HO James Morrow 4x4 12 June 2nd 04 05:16 PM