Amazing prices.. :/ (rant)

Old July 23rd 05, 06:23 PM
DougW

Default Amazing prices.. :/ (rant)

So I've got a bit of popping when taking off or going into
reverse. It's not drive train but rather the control arms
just need the bolts retorqued. Been there done that about
every three to four years depending on how hard I drive the
Jeep.

The only problem is it's difficult to put 130ft.lbs on the lower
arms without air tools or having the Jeep lifted and I do _not_
like working under a vehicle on jacks especially when horking on
bolts. To do it right I need a real lift.

Anyhoo, back to the story. Called the Jeep dealership to ask
how much they would charge to hit up eight bolts. They tell me
it will be a 41$ charge to "examine the problem" and probably an
hour of time $91 to fix it.

91$/hour! That's flatly insane. It must be due to the war in
Iraq and oil prices driving up the cost of the imported booze
the addleminded dealership owner swills down.

Well, it costs about 4-5$/hr to rent lift space at the auto-hobby
shop on base. So it looks like I'll be there later next week.

It will probably take me an hour but that includes bs time and
a few sodapop breaks since the rack is outside.

DougW

Old July 23rd 05, 06:38 PM
Dave Milne

Amazing. I did the TJ easily enough by putting it on axle stands, and then
using a t-bar bearing against a brick to prevent the inner bolt from turning
which I made sure the cam washer stayed in place on the other side. Fairly
easy with a long torque wrench.
Jeep dealers here charge £70 per hour, which is ~ $122.50 per hour. Needless
to say, I don't give them any of my business. They are not too bad for
getting Wagoneer parts from as their markup is often less than the US->UK
shipping price.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Old July 23rd 05, 07:06 PM
Earle Horton

Sometimes it helps to look at things in perspective. It cost me $30,000 to
have my wife's hip joint tightened up last month. $9,500 for a chunk of
titanium and some stainless steel screws! That's flatly insane! I have a
policy with a $25,000 deductible too. Ouch!

Earle

Old July 23rd 05, 07:27 PM
Cherokee-Ltd

You probably could have done it yourself and saved a bunch ;-)

This reminds me of when we had our first child. There were some
complications with my wife and the threat of malignant hypothermia under
anaesthesia so the hospital trained some staff members and scheduled a
delivery date to induce labour.... the entire process concluding in the
healthy birth of my daughter set us back $9.00 for parking. Oh Canada...
-Brian

news:1122141757.eedf12b6a86236b69e5031d41d12c07b@t eranews...

Old July 23rd 05, 07:29 PM
Nathan Otis

You should replace that with a high-end heim...

Old July 23rd 05, 08:03 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Earle,
All the hip operations I've heard of were successful, at least for
the period they were designed to last. So it should make for a happy
house hold. I could have be worst, my uninsured Mother-in-law had one
replaced in '72 at a cost of seventy five thousand.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 24th 05, 07:55 PM
Pi-Eyed Piper

here here

Old July 26th 05, 11:51 PM
Billy Ray

$9 ? Is that Canadian dollars or real money <g>. Both my daughters cost $6
(US) apiece.

The room phone and TV were $1 each x 3 days.

Of course..... my younger daughter will be 23 in November. Prices may have
gone up since then.