Fireworks, Kids, and the Angry Driver

Old July 21st 05, 11:01 PM
DYM

"Bernard Farquart" > wrote in
:

> "DYM" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> It all comes down to knowing where that double yellow line is, and
>> choosing not to cross it.
>>

> Like not firing explosives at cars because you may reasonably
> expect to get your ass whipped for it?

Yes! Exactly. They made a very poor choice.

Doug
Old July 22nd 05, 04:27 AM
Scott en Aztlán

On 21 Jul 2005 08:09:48 -0700, "Harry K" >
wrote:

>> Has anyone noticed that Skip Elliott Bowman or who ever it really is
>> has not once posted a followup. Possibly a troll looking for food????

>Nah, he's a fairly regular poster here.

So is Aunt Judy.

Old July 22nd 05, 06:06 AM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
news
> On 21 Jul 2005 08:09:48 -0700, "Harry K" >
> wrote:
>
>>> Has anyone noticed that Skip Elliott Bowman or who ever it really is
>>> has not once posted a followup. Possibly a troll looking for food????

>>Nah, he's a fairly regular poster here.

> So is Aunt Judy.

You criminal coddler, Scott

Old July 22nd 05, 10:35 PM
John David Galt

> Shooting fireworks at cars is a dangerous act.
>
> The two boys used thier own judgment, and they
> chose to act in a way that led to one of them being
> struck by a car, while the other escaped with only
> a beating. I think the occupants of the car that got
> out and administered the beating were merely agents
> of karma, and should be let go.

I agree. Until the UK's Home Office abandons its stupid and unjust
practice of prosecuting victims who defend themselves, one can only
hope that the jury will refuse to convict him. I certainly would.
Old July 22nd 05, 10:36 PM
John David Galt

DYM wrote:
> That would be vigilantism.

It's not vigilantism when the VICTIM HIMSELF fights attackers, only
when a third party does it.
Old July 23rd 05, 12:21 AM
DYM

John David Galt > wrote in news:dbrp07$s0h$2
@blue.rahul.net:

> DYM wrote:
>> That would be vigilantism.

> It's not vigilantism when the VICTIM HIMSELF fights attackers, only
> when a third party does it.

It can be by committee or a self-appointed doer of justice. This key is
that the doer (?) is acting as cop, judge and jury.

Bronson was a victim but that didn't stop him from despensing justice from
his weaponry.

So, are you for law and order as our President keeps boasting, or do you
want chaos from every Tom, Dick & Dirty Harry deciding on their own what
your punishment should be.

Doug
Old July 23rd 05, 12:31 AM
fbloogyudsr

"John David Galt" > wrote
> DYM wrote:
>> That would be vigilantism.

> It's not vigilantism when the VICTIM HIMSELF fights attackers, only
> when a third party does it.

Except that, at the time that the attackers were assaulted, they
had abandoned their attack. The attackees were justified in holding
the attackers for the police, but not in beating them. That's probably
the reason the PA and police are trying to figure out what to charge
the attackees with: motive/intent is not clear.

Floyd
Old July 23rd 05, 12:47 AM
Arif Khokar

DYM wrote:

> John David Galt > wrote in news:dbrp07$s0h$2
> @blue.rahul.net:

>>It's not vigilantism when the VICTIM HIMSELF fights attackers, only
>>when a third party does it.

> It can be by committee or a self-appointed doer of justice. This key is
> that the doer (?) is acting as cop, judge and jury.

Tell that to the next woman who manages to fight off a would be rapist.
She should just let him do it, from what you're advocating.
Old July 23rd 05, 02:33 AM
Scott en Aztlán

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 23:21:36 GMT, DYM > wrote:

>John David Galt > wrote in news:dbrp07$s0h$2
:

>> DYM wrote:
>>> That would be vigilantism.

>> It's not vigilantism when the VICTIM HIMSELF fights attackers, only
>> when a third party does it.

>It can be by committee or a self-appointed doer of justice. This key is
>that the doer (?) is acting as cop, judge and jury.

So where do you draw the line between self-defense and vigilantism?

Old July 23rd 05, 02:52 AM
Harry K

Scott en Aztl=E1n wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 23:21:36 GMT, DYM > wrote:
>
> >John David Galt > wrote in news:dbrp07$s0h=

$2
> :

> >> It's not vigilantism when the VICTIM HIMSELF fights attackers, only
> >> when a third party does it.

> >It can be by committee or a self-appointed doer of justice. This key is
> >that the doer (?) is acting as cop, judge and jury.

> So where do you draw the line between self-defense and vigilantism?

Self defense ends when the threat to ones person (or someone else's)
ends. The threat in the scenario ended the second the kids ran. That's
why you can claim, and usually win, on self defense for shooting
someone in your home at 0 dark 30 but not if they are leaving when you
shoot em in the back. Chasing to catch and hold em for the cops is
legal, beating them isn't.

Harry K

Harry K