pseudotropheus saulosi

Old January 25th 04, 04:46 AM
Rick

Default pseudotropheus saulosi

I picked up a half dozen juvenile saulosi awhile back and have noticed that
one is showing black on his dorsal and ventral fins much like one would see
on a L. caeruleus. The buy I got them from claims they are not hybrids
however I have not been able to find a description of P.saulosi showing
those black fins. Anyone have experience with this fish or seen any with
black fins?. I do not want to waste time on these fish if they are hybrids.

Rick

Old January 25th 04, 08:31 PM
Amateur

"Rick" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
I picked up a half dozen juvenile saulosi awhile back and have noticed that
one is showing black on his dorsal and ventral fins much like one would see
on a L. caeruleus. The buy I got them from claims they are not hybrids
however I have not been able to find a description of P.saulosi showing
those black fins. Anyone have experience with this fish or seen any with
black fins?. I do not want to waste time on these fish if they are hybrids.

Rick

Sounds like a male. http://www.amateurcichlids.com/fish/..._saulosi.shtml
Even females occassionally will show a slight hint of barring and darkness on
the dorsal and ventral fins.
AC

Old January 26th 04, 09:06 PM
Rick

"Amateur" wrote in message
m...

"Rick" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
I picked up a half dozen juvenile saulosi awhile back and have noticed

that
one is showing black on his dorsal and ventral fins much like one would

see
on a L. caeruleus. The buy I got them from claims they are not hybrids
however I have not been able to find a description of P.saulosi showing
those black fins. Anyone have experience with this fish or seen any with
black fins?. I do not want to waste time on these fish if they are

hybrids.

Rick

Sounds like a male.

http://www.amateurcichlids.com/fish/..._saulosi.shtml
Even females occassionally will show a slight hint of barring and darkness

on
the dorsal and ventral fins.
AC

possibly a male but no egg spots however I realize that is an inexact method
of sexing them. I do have a smaller fish that is turning darker all over so
I assume this one will likely end up blue. Just have to wait and see how
they develop. Thx.

Rick

Old February 6th 04, 07:58 AM
Phil

yeah my sub male looks like that
if it's dominant it'll go all blue/black with no sign of the orange
eventually
news:[email protected]