Way to go, Mensas....

Old August 5th 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_1_]

Default Way to go, Mensas....

The short of it: a couple of rednecks drive onto the beach to pickup
their jet-ski and their truck gets caught up in the rising tide.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/l...?storyid=62336

There is also a video link showing this pick-up trying to escape mother
nature...

--
"Well, if crime fighters fight crime and
fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom
Old August 5th 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Dave Head

On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 10:33:50 -0400, necromancer > wrote:

>The short of it: a couple of rednecks drive onto the beach to pickup
>their jet-ski and their truck gets caught up in the rising tide.
>
>http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/l...?storyid=62336
>
>There is also a video link showing this pick-up trying to escape mother
>nature...

Jeez... "illegally drove on the beach". Hell, that's one of the _fun_ things
to do in Daytona, so Jacksonville makes it illegal? Are people out to make
_everything_ illegal? Huh?

DPH

Old August 5th 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Dave Head

On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 14:54:20 GMT, Dave Head > wrote:

>On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 10:33:50 -0400, necromancer > wrote:
>
>>The short of it: a couple of rednecks drive onto the beach to pickup
>>their jet-ski and their truck gets caught up in the rising tide.
>>
>>http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/l...?storyid=62336
>>
>>There is also a video link showing this pick-up trying to escape mother
>>nature...

>Jeez... "illegally drove on the beach". Hell, that's one of the _fun_ things
>to do in Daytona, so Jacksonville makes it illegal? Are people out to make
>_everything_ illegal? Huh?
>
>DPH

At least it's not illegal in Daytona, still:

"PARKING & DRIVING ON THE BEACH: Daily beach driving passes are $5.00 per
vehicle, February 1 through November 30. After 3 pm, daily passes are $3.00.
Annual passes are available to residents for only $20.00 or $40.00 for
non-residents. A Superpass is also available. Call Republic Parking at
386-254-4605 for information. "

But it'll cost ya...

DPH

Old August 5th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_1_]

> Dave Head said in rec.autos.driving:
> Jeez... "illegally drove on the beach".

Actually, its illegal to drive on the beach in lots of places in the
southeast. Daytona is one of the exceptions.

> Hell, that's one of the _fun_ things
> to do in Daytona, so Jacksonville makes it illegal?

I lived there several years ago, and only drove on the beach a few
times. Saw nothing special in it; and what with the beach rangers and
the crowds on the beach, it was more like an ant farm than anything I
would call driving. And the fact that some people when selling their
cars would advertise "never driven on the beach," says something to
me....

> Are people out to make
> _everything_ illegal? Huh?

I thought you already knew that...

Old August 5th 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Dave Head

On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 11:18:57 -0400, necromancer > wrote:

>> Dave Head said in rec.autos.driving:
>> Jeez... "illegally drove on the beach".

>Actually, its illegal to drive on the beach in lots of places in the
>southeast. Daytona is one of the exceptions.

Yep - the fun police are ubiquitous.

>> Hell, that's one of the _fun_ things
>> to do in Daytona, so Jacksonville makes it illegal?

>I lived there several years ago, and only drove on the beach a few
>times. Saw nothing special in it; and what with the beach rangers and
>the crowds on the beach, it was more like an ant farm than anything I
>would call driving. And the fact that some people when selling their
>cars would advertise "never driven on the beach," says something to
>me....

Its nice to go down there and park, open the back of your SUV, haul out the
beach equipment and have your vehicle at hand. U can load everything up and
lock it in the car if you want to take a stroll, and not have it stolen, and...
it just beats the heck out of carrying 70 lbs of junk from some street parking
200 feet away. And, of course, most everyone's got a nice car radio or tape or
CD player in the car, so you don't even have to lug that, either, if you can
park on the beach. Then there's just cruising the beach. That's just the
novelty of it, tho.

>> Are people out to make
>> _everything_ illegal? Huh?

>I thought you already knew that...

Yep, damn their eyes...

Dave Head

Old August 5th 06, 05:47 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
barking pumpkin

necromancer wrote:
> The short of it: a couple of rednecks drive onto the beach to pickup
> their jet-ski and their truck gets caught up in the rising tide.
>
> http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/l...?storyid=62336
>
> There is also a video link showing this pick-up trying to escape mother
> nature...

Last week, I saw a clip of some guy in Ecuador (or possibly Peru -
somewhere in that area) that parked his Jeep on the beach and was
desperately trying to save it from the rising tide.

The ocean won.

"It's a Jeep thing" :-)

I remember saying that to a Jeep owner regarding the moron in Colorado
who got his Jeep stuck about 2 in the morning - he frowned at me. This
idiot asked some people close by who were camping to help him get it
unstuck. They refused. He threw rocks at them. They broke a .22 rifle
over his head subdueing him and he ended up in the hospital.

My only complaint is that they used the wrong end of the gun on him.
Old August 5th 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Jim Yanik

Dave Head > wrote in
:

> On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 10:33:50 -0400, necromancer >
> wrote:
>
>>The short of it: a couple of rednecks drive onto the beach to pickup
>>their jet-ski and their truck gets caught up in the rising tide.
>>
>>http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/l...x?storyid=6233
>>6
>>
>>There is also a video link showing this pick-up trying to escape
>>mother nature...

Every winter,idiots drive out onto frozen Lake Erie to go ice fishing,and
have to abandon their vehicles when the ice breaks up and they have to be
rescued.The USCG will not rescue vehicles or belongings,and there are some
enterprising individuals who salvage some of them for resale,sometimes to
their original owners..

> Jeez... "illegally drove on the beach". Hell, that's one of the _fun_
> things to do in Daytona, so Jacksonville makes it illegal? Are people
> out to make _everything_ illegal? Huh?
>
> DPH

Some beach areas are "no vehicles" because of sea turtle nests,or because
they are are designated "people areas". No different than urban zoning.
(so people don't get run down or backed over,small kids can play safely.)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old August 5th 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Jim Yanik

barking pumpkin > wrote in
:

> necromancer wrote:
>> The short of it: a couple of rednecks drive onto the beach to pickup
>> their jet-ski and their truck gets caught up in the rising tide.
>>
>> http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/l...?storyid=62336
>>
>> There is also a video link showing this pick-up trying to escape mother
>> nature...
>>

> Last week, I saw a clip of some guy in Ecuador (or possibly Peru -
> somewhere in that area) that parked his Jeep on the beach and was
> desperately trying to save it from the rising tide.
>
> The ocean won.
>
> "It's a Jeep thing" :-)
>
> I remember saying that to a Jeep owner regarding the moron in Colorado
> who got his Jeep stuck about 2 in the morning - he frowned at me. This
> idiot asked some people close by who were camping to help him get it
> unstuck. They refused. He threw rocks at them. They broke a .22 rifle
> over his head subdueing him and he ended up in the hospital.
>
> My only complaint is that they used the wrong end of the gun on him.

Yes,a rock is a deadly projectile.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old August 5th 06, 08:00 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Dave Head

:

>> On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 10:33:50 -0400, necromancer >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>The short of it: a couple of rednecks drive onto the beach to pickup
>>>their jet-ski and their truck gets caught up in the rising tide.
>>>
>>>http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/l...x?storyid=6233
>>>6
>>>
>>>There is also a video link showing this pick-up trying to escape
>>>mother nature...

>Every winter,idiots drive out onto frozen Lake Erie to go ice fishing,and
>have to abandon their vehicles when the ice breaks up and they have to be
>rescued.The USCG will not rescue vehicles or belongings,and there are some
>enterprising individuals who salvage some of them for resale,sometimes to
>their original owners..

Yeah, but ice and beach sand are 2 different things. I could have backed my
Jeep up there and have pulled them out, I think. Cars stuck on ice flows are
"toast".

>> Jeez... "illegally drove on the beach". Hell, that's one of the _fun_
>> things to do in Daytona, so Jacksonville makes it illegal? Are people
>> out to make _everything_ illegal? Huh?
>>
>> DPH
>>

>Some beach areas are "no vehicles" because of sea turtle nests,or because
>they are are designated "people areas". No different than urban zoning.

I've never liked zoning, either...

>(so people don't get run down or backed over,small kids can play safely.)

Yeah... well... people need to create areas on the sand to make it possible to
do it safely, rather than just banning things. Sea turtles are a different
matter, although a 365 day ban for turtles that spawn over several weeks is
over the top, too...

Dave Head
Old August 5th 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_1_]

> Scott en Aztlán said in rec.autos.driving:

> Maybe it's illegal so that dumb**** rednecks don't get stuck in the
> sand, requiring a costly rescue effort?

Do you mean rescuing the rednecks from themselves or rescuing the beach
and ocean from the rednecks?

> But what I really know is, what does a woman's period have to do with
> what these losers did???

What *are* you talking about???

--
"If a woman tells you she's 20 and looks 16.. she's 12
If she tells you she's 26, and LOOKS 26... she's damn near 40"