Overfilled Oil

Old December 17th 04, 09:13 PM
Spiderman

Default Overfilled Oil

I think the shop slightly overfilled my oil crankcase at the last oil change
on my 1989 Chevy S10 Blazer 4.3L 4x4....the dipstick is reading "off the
charts" and when I'm parked I get a small drip of very watery brown fluid (I
assume it's overfrothed oil) under the engine compartment. The fluid is not
warm and is very watery so I don't believe this fluid has been thru the
engine. Can a slightly overfilled crankcase cause any permanent damage? I
assume the excess will just drip out?

Old December 17th 04, 09:26 PM
Willy Wanka

<chop>
> engine. Can a slightly overfilled crankcase cause any permanent damage? I
> assume the excess will just drip out?

A little bit won't hurt but,,,, if it is way over full your crankshaft will
have to fight it's way through the oil so your mileage and power will
suffer. I lost a fuelpump diaphram on a 327 once and filled the crankcase
with gas. Had one hell of a leak, out the dipstick, oil filler cap, blew pcv
out. Sure smoked a lot too.

Willy

Old December 17th 04, 09:46 PM
\Doc\

"Spiderman" > wrote in message
>I think the shop slightly overfilled my oil crankcase at the last oil
>change on my 1989 Chevy S10 Blazer 4.3L 4x4....the dipstick is reading "off
>the charts" and when I'm parked I get a small drip of very watery brown
>fluid (I assume it's overfrothed oil) under the engine compartment. The
>fluid is not warm and is very watery so I don't believe this fluid has been
>thru the engine. Can a slightly overfilled crankcase cause any permanent
>damage? I assume the excess will just drip out?

How far (in inches) over the full mark is it?

Doc

Old December 17th 04, 09:48 PM
Spiderman

"Willy Wanka" > wrote in message
> <chop>
>> engine. Can a slightly overfilled crankcase cause any permanent damage? I
>> assume the excess will just drip out?

> A little bit won't hurt but,,,, if it is way over full your crankshaft
> will have to fight it's way through the oil so your mileage and power will
> suffer. I lost a fuelpump diaphram on a 327 once and filled the crankcase
> with gas. Had one hell of a leak, out the dipstick, oil filler cap, blew
> pcv out. Sure smoked a lot too.
>
> Willy

Thanks for the quick reply. The engine sounds/runs normal (i.e. great) and
the tailpipe emissions are normal (clear). I love the 4.3 Vortec...just
wanted to make sure nothing damages my "baby". haha

Old December 17th 04, 09:51 PM
Spiderman

""Doc"" > wrote in message

> "Spiderman" > wrote in message
>>I think the shop slightly overfilled my oil crankcase at the last oil
>>change on my 1989 Chevy S10 Blazer 4.3L 4x4....the dipstick is reading
>>"off the charts" and when I'm parked I get a small drip of very watery
>>brown fluid (I assume it's overfrothed oil) under the engine compartment.
>>The fluid is not warm and is very watery so I don't believe this fluid has
>>been thru the engine. Can a slightly overfilled crankcase cause any
>>permanent damage? I assume the excess will just drip out?

> How far (in inches) over the full mark is it?
>
> Doc

I didn't measure it but its past the FULL mark...but not so far as to ride
up the stem of the dipstick.

Old December 17th 04, 09:57 PM
\Doc\

"Spiderman" > wrote in message

>> How far (in inches) over the full mark is it?
>>
>> Doc

> I didn't measure it but its past the FULL mark...but not so far as to ride
> up the stem of the dipstick.

Ok, there is about 2 FEET of dipstick above the full mark. GUESTIMATE how
far over the full mark the oil level is. 1/2" is a lot different than 2".

Doc

Old December 17th 04, 10:20 PM

So what's the problem? If it is over filled, either do it
yourself, take you vehicle to a shop, remove the oil, refill with
the proper amount of oil, end of problem.

mike hunt

Old December 17th 04, 11:26 PM
Woody

All the above said if the oil is too high it will be turned to foam by the
crankshaft and the bearings will be starved of oil and burn up. If it is
more than 1/2 inch above full drain it and fill correctly...

Old December 18th 04, 01:05 AM
zonie

Drain the oil pan and refill. But I will bet the shop didnot over fill the
engine , I bet that is coolant in your oil. On that engine I bet your
intake gasket has failed or the intake manifold has corroded through. Is
your coolant level going down? Good Luck ! Scott

Old December 18th 04, 01:16 AM
Spiderman

""Doc"" > wrote in message
news

> "Spiderman" > wrote in message
>
>>> How far (in inches) over the full mark is it?
>>>
>>> Doc

>> I didn't measure it but its past the FULL mark...but not so far as to
>> ride up the stem of the dipstick.

> Ok, there is about 2 FEET of dipstick above the full mark. GUESTIMATE how
> far over the full mark the oil level is. 1/2" is a lot different than 2".
>
> Doc

Sorry hehe....it's about 1/2" over the full mark. What's the diagnosis, Doc?