CJ abnormal brake pad wear

Old July 4th 04, 05:11 PM

Default CJ abnormal brake pad wear

While doing the spring replacement (which is about finished!!) I
noticed the inner pads on the front brakes were about worn out on both
the driver and passenger side.

I don't remember exactly when I replaced them -- but seems like 20,000
miles or so ago. I could be wrong.

The outer pads looked a little worn, but basically had lots of life
remaining in them.

No damage done to either rotor, but I don't understand why both inner
pads are almost worn out while the outers were still very, very good.

Could somebody please explain what is going on and what, if anything,
I can do about it.

Thanks ......

Mike

Michael Pomeroy
Old July 4th 04, 05:23 PM
HarryS

More than likely tour calipers are not pulling equally due to binding hence,
the wear on one side. Also, this can be caused by not lubricating the guide
bolts the caliper slides on.

--
HarryS
JAFGBR

Old July 4th 04, 07:21 PM

Just to add, the bolts may also be worn out, New guide bolts are not very
expensive, and are a good thing to replace if they show wear or corrosion.

Chris

Old July 5th 04, 03:25 AM

As usual, you were correct -- which leads to another question.

When I pulled them the slide bolts were all gummed up with
"lubricant". No way they would work.

And I have nobody but myself to dump on; because I was the one who
replaced the original pads.

So I've now cleaned them up and cleaned up the bores that they ride
within. All looks good to me.

Then the question -- what, if any, lubricant should I use when I put
the slide bolts back? The same high-temp brake lube that I use on
track that the caliper's slide on?? Nothing??? Something else????

Mike

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 12:11:58 -0400, wrote:

>While doing the spring replacement (which is about finished!!) I
>noticed the inner pads on the front brakes were about worn out on both
>the driver and passenger side.
>
>I don't remember exactly when I replaced them -- but seems like 20,000
>miles or so ago. I could be wrong.
>
>The outer pads looked a little worn, but basically had lots of life
>remaining in them.
>
>No damage done to either rotor, but I don't understand why both inner
>pads are almost worn out while the outers were still very, very good.
>
>Could somebody please explain what is going on and what, if anything,
>I can do about it.
>
>Thanks ......
>
>Mike
>
>Michael Pomeroy

Mike
Old July 5th 04, 04:09 PM
Mike Romain

I prefer that anti seize compound on them but high temp grease is ok.
Just don't use too much. They need something because worn ones will
rust.

I don't know for sure, but the anti seize doesn't seem to attract dirt
like grease does.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old July 5th 04, 09:28 PM
RoyJ

There is a special very high temp grease for those. Ask at the parts
counter. Usually comes in one of those 'rip off the top' squeeze tubes.

Old July 5th 04, 11:03 PM

As usual, you were correct -- which leads to another question.

When I pulled them the slide bolts were all gummed up with
"lubricant". No way they would work.

And I have nobody but myself to dump on; because I was the one who
replaced the original pads.

So I've now cleaned them up and cleaned up the bores that they ride
within. All looks good to me.

Then the question -- what, if any, lubricant should I use when I put
the slide bolts back? The same high-temp brake lube that I use on
track that the caliper's slide on?? Nothing??? Something else????

CJ brakes are repaired and springs are on!!

Some of you on the list have been a GREAT help, and I appreciate it.

I know this cj doesn't compare to some of yours -- but here are a few
pics to document the completion of this latest Jeep project:

http://cj8.sciencediver.com/springs/index.html

Thanks .....

Mike
Mike
Old July 5th 04, 11:22 PM
HarryS

Yes, hitemp anti-seize works the best, use it on many things like manifold
bolts they always come out.

--
HarryS
JAFGBR