Trip to France and back in my AR 166 2.5 V6

Old August 7th 04, 10:16 PM
DJ

Default Trip to France and back in my AR 166 2.5 V6

What a great car ! - I have just completed about 1500 miles to France and
back for my hols. On the autoroutes , etc I set the cruise control to about
136KM and got about 28MPG over a 1000 miles - pretty good going considering
the car was fully loaded with suitcases, etc plus 4 people - over 400miles
to a tank.

When on normal N roads overtaking lorries up hill, again fully loaded, was
effortless.

When you want a nice smooth civillised ride - it delivers, and then when
you need it to wake up and respond quickly - it delivers ! We all got to our
Gite in France after 4.5hrs motoring very cool and fresh.
In actual fact driving the car through the French countryside for me became
a very enjoyable part of the holiday !.

I've had my 1st AR for 2 months now and it really has justified its self - I
simply love the 166 and I just know that my next car will almost certainly
be another 166.

The only puzzle I have overall is the oil consumption - the car has now done
4,000 miles and has not needed not single a drop of oil - (it uses Selenia
20K 10W40) - I thought it would certainly use some during the run in period
of 1000 miles (and I really did run the engine in properly).

DJ
( A Happy Ar 166 Owner)

Old August 8th 04, 07:53 AM
Dutchie

"DJ" > wrote in message ...
> What a great car ! - I have just completed about 1500 miles to France and
> back for my hols. On the autoroutes , etc I set the cruise control to

about
> 136KM and got about 28MPG over a 1000 miles - pretty good going

considering
> the car was fully loaded with suitcases, etc plus 4 people - over 400miles
> to a tank.

A warning: French police are very keen nowadays on foreigners going too
fast.
You have to pay cash on the spot, so bring some extra euros with you

Old August 8th 04, 09:43 AM
DJ

"Dutchie" > wrote in message

> "DJ" > wrote in message

> > What a great car ! - I have just completed about 1500 miles to France

and
> > back for my hols. On the autoroutes , etc I set the cruise control to

> about
> > 136KM and got about 28MPG over a 1000 miles - pretty good going

> considering
> > the car was fully loaded with suitcases, etc plus 4 people - over

400miles
> > to a tank.
> >

> A warning: French police are very keen nowadays on foreigners going too
> fast.
> You have to pay cash on the spot, so bring some extra euros with you

Interestingly I did drive towards a couple of Gendarmes with a speed gun on
the A16 who simply let me drive by ? I wondered if they had a policy not to
be too strict with foreigners in case they effected tourism !
The road was very clear and I could have easily been travelling at 160KM and
not felt it - and some drivers were passing me at that speed, perhaps they
were only interested in the real speed abusers.

DJ

Old August 8th 04, 10:49 AM
Alfistagj

"DJ" > schreef in bericht
> Interestingly I did drive towards a couple of Gendarmes with a speed gun

on
> the A16 who simply let me drive by ?

Speed gun with camara = ticket in the mail box!!
Much better "business" for them; saves them a lot of time not having to stop
you!
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

Old August 8th 04, 12:20 PM
DJ

"Alfistagj" > wrote in message

> "DJ" > schreef in bericht
> > Interestingly I did drive towards a couple of Gendarmes with a speed gun

> on
> > the A16 who simply let me drive by ?

> Speed gun with camara = ticket in the mail box!!
> Much better "business" for them; saves them a lot of time not having to

stop
> you!
> --
> Ciao from Holland
> AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)
> Alfa red 156 SW 1.8 Madeno tuned (2000)
> Golden Montreal 1428700 (1973/4)

whats the tolerance ?

Whats the cost ???

DJ

Old August 8th 04, 12:29 PM
SteveH

Alfistagj > wrote:

> "DJ" > schreef in bericht
> > Interestingly I did drive towards a couple of Gendarmes with a speed gun

> on
> > the A16 who simply let me drive by ?

> Speed gun with camara = ticket in the mail box!!
> Much better "business" for them; saves them a lot of time not having to stop
> you!

AFAIK, the French police can't do this to a British license holder - not
yet, anyway.

They have to physically stop you, but, being French, they're
fundamentally to lazy to do this ;-)
VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - Alfa 155 TS Lusso - COSOC KOTL
Old August 8th 04, 02:01 PM
DJ

"SteveH" > wrote in message
. ..
> Alfistagj > wrote:
>
> > "DJ" > schreef in bericht
> > > Interestingly I did drive towards a couple of Gendarmes with a speed

gun
> > on
> > > the A16 who simply let me drive by ?

> > Speed gun with camara = ticket in the mail box!!
> > Much better "business" for them; saves them a lot of time not having to

stop
> > you!

> AFAIK, the French police can't do this to a British license holder - not
> yet, anyway.
>
> They have to physically stop you, but, being French, they're
> fundamentally to lazy to do this ;-)
> --

Personally I think they just wanted a picture of my 166 - and who could
blame them ;-)

Old August 8th 04, 08:18 PM
Alfistagj

"SteveH" > schreef in bericht
. ..
> AFAIK, the French police can't do this to a British license holder - not
> yet, anyway.

Wrong!!
They can and will; the only problem is that the French authorities will have
to chase their money themselves.
As of 1/1/2005 the EU laws change and i.e. the English authorities will
handle a French fine for the French!!

In France:
Max speed on Motorways is mostly 130km/79mph
Fines:
- up to 160kmh/97mph (max 30kmh too fast): 100 euro/~70 GBP
- 160-170kmh/97-103mph (max 40kmh too fast): 140 euro / ~95GBP
- over 170kmh/103mph (more than 40kph too fast: 1500 euro / 1000GBP (yes,
you read correctly!!!!!)

There is a discount of 30% when you pay immediately (= within 72 hours);
nice folks those French!!

Old August 8th 04, 10:36 PM
DJ

"Alfistagj" > wrote in message

> "SteveH" > schreef in bericht
> . ..
> > AFAIK, the French police can't do this to a British license holder - not
> > yet, anyway.
> >

> Wrong!!
> They can and will; the only problem is that the French authorities will

have
> to chase their money themselves.
> As of 1/1/2005 the EU laws change and i.e. the English authorities will
> handle a French fine for the French!!
>
> In France:
> Max speed on Motorways is mostly 130km/79mph
> Fines:
> - up to 160kmh/97mph (max 30kmh too fast): 100 euro/~70 GBP
> - 160-170kmh/97-103mph (max 40kmh too fast): 140 euro / ~95GBP
> - over 170kmh/103mph (more than 40kph too fast: 1500 euro / 1000GBP (yes,
> you read correctly!!!!!)
>
> There is a discount of 30% when you pay immediately (= within 72 hours);
> nice folks those French!!

I'll let you know what happens !!.