'93 LX 5.0 Cat-Back Suggestions

Old June 17th 05, 06:03 AM
Michael Johnson, PE

dwight wrote:
> "Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in message
>
>>dwight wrote:

>>>I was 39 when I bought TFrog (my 4th Mustang), and people who supposedly
>>>knew me were saying that it was my midlife crisis. That brought on a bout
>>>of Old Fartism.
>>>
>>>I was about 45 when the basketball hoops went up out back of my house,
>>>and TFrog's alarm was frequently set off by wayward basketballs. That
>>>brought about an extended bout of Old Fartism.
>>>
>>>I was 50 when I moved outta there and settled into the gentrified outer
>>>circle of the far suburbs, and my Old Fartism is in full swing. I have no
>>>time for screaming kids, punk-ass wannabes with ultraloud car stereos,
>>>and just want to be left alone to tend to my groundskeeping.
>>>
>>>I may have had Early Onset Old Fartism, but I'm enjoying the hell out of
>>>it now.

>>I still have the Mustang I bought new in 1989. I'm accused of being
>>unable to let go of my youth. I like to think of it as I'm still
>>immature. IMO, being too mature is highly over rated. The trouble is
>>that my body is becoming an old fart well before my state of mind.

> I keep the '93 because it fits. And it still makes me smile. If that's
> immature, then fine; I make up for it in other areas.

I've told my wife not to make me choose between her and the '89. I've
known that car longer than I have her. Getting rid of it would be like
selling my favorite dog.

> My body may fail me over the coming years, but I swear I'm going to my grave
> with a well-defined left leg.

I have a SPEC Stage III in my car and it kills my left knee. I'll be
going to my grave with a well-defined left leg in a knee brace.

Old June 17th 05, 12:56 PM
Joe

"Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in
:
<snippy>
> I've told my wife not to make me choose between her and the '89.
> I've known that car longer than I have her. Getting rid of it would
> be like selling my favorite dog.

I just had that very same conversation with my wife this week. She's
****ed about how much money has been dumped into it over the years,
and she accused me of thinking that "the car was part of the family".
Of course, I told her she was right. It was the first car we bought
as a family, and now it's sort of being passed down to my son. I
think of it as an heirloom of sorts.

>> My body may fail me over the coming years, but I swear I'm going to
>> my grave with a well-defined left leg.

> I have a SPEC Stage III in my car and it kills my left knee. I'll
> be going to my grave with a well-defined left leg in a knee brace.
>
>> dwight

My left leg's just fine. That's why automatics were invented.

Let the flames begin...

Joe
Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC
Old June 17th 05, 06:33 PM
Michael Johnson, PE

Joe wrote:
> "Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in
> :
> <snippy>
>
>>I've told my wife not to make me choose between her and the '89.
>>I've known that car longer than I have her. Getting rid of it would
>>be like selling my favorite dog.

> I just had that very same conversation with my wife this week. She's
> ****ed about how much money has been dumped into it over the years,
> and she accused me of thinking that "the car was part of the family".
> Of course, I told her she was right. It was the first car we bought
> as a family, and now it's sort of being passed down to my son. I
> think of it as an heirloom of sorts.
>

>>>My body may fail me over the coming years, but I swear I'm going to
>>>my grave with a well-defined left leg.

>>I have a SPEC Stage III in my car and it kills my left knee. I'll
>>be going to my grave with a well-defined left leg in a knee brace.
>>

>>>dwight

> My left leg's just fine. That's why automatics were invented.
>
> Let the flames begin...

No flames from me. I just hope the GT500 has an option for an auto
tranny. It will do duty as a cruiser, not a road racer. Plus, one
thing I've learned from hopping up the LX is having a manual car with
400+ rwhp and a boat load of torque makes the first two gears worthless.
In a 0-60 run I spend more time shifting than accelerating.
Old June 17th 05, 10:00 PM
Joe

"Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in
:

> Joe wrote:
>> "Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in
>> :
>> <snippy>
>>
>>>I've told my wife not to make me choose between her and the '89.
>>>I've known that car longer than I have her. Getting rid of it
>>>would be like selling my favorite dog.

>> I just had that very same conversation with my wife this week.
>> She's ****ed about how much money has been dumped into it over the
>> years, and she accused me of thinking that "the car was part of the
>> family". Of course, I told her she was right. It was the first
>> car we bought as a family, and now it's sort of being passed down
>> to my son. I think of it as an heirloom of sorts.

>>>I have a SPEC Stage III in my car and it kills my left knee. I'll
>>>be going to my grave with a well-defined left leg in a knee brace.

>> My left leg's just fine. That's why automatics were invented.
>>
>> Let the flames begin...

> No flames from me. I just hope the GT500 has an option for an auto
> tranny. It will do duty as a cruiser, not a road racer. Plus, one
> thing I've learned from hopping up the LX is having a manual car
> with 400+ rwhp and a boat load of torque makes the first two gears
> worthless.
> In a 0-60 run I spend more time shifting than accelerating.

There ya go. Automatics are tons o' fun with torquemonsters. Just a
blip or two of the throttle and it's party time. The Dak's tranny is
pretty neat - the harder you're accelerating the firmer it shifts.
WOT is a blast.
Old June 18th 05, 12:12 AM
Michael Johnson, PE

:
>>><snippy>

>>>I just had that very same conversation with my wife this week.
>>>She's ****ed about how much money has been dumped into it over the
>>>years, and she accused me of thinking that "the car was part of the
>>>family". Of course, I told her she was right. It was the first
>>>car we bought as a family, and now it's sort of being passed down
>>>to my son. I think of it as an heirloom of sorts.

>>>My left leg's just fine. That's why automatics were invented.
>>>
>>>Let the flames begin...

>>No flames from me. I just hope the GT500 has an option for an auto
>>tranny. It will do duty as a cruiser, not a road racer. Plus, one
>>thing I've learned from hopping up the LX is having a manual car
>>with 400+ rwhp and a boat load of torque makes the first two gears
>>worthless.
>> In a 0-60 run I spend more time shifting than accelerating.

> There ya go. Automatics are tons o' fun with torquemonsters. Just a
> blip or two of the throttle and it's party time. The Dak's tranny is
> pretty neat - the harder you're accelerating the firmer it shifts.
> WOT is a blast.

I really hope the GT500 has an auto option. If it does it will be a
terror at the drag strip.
Old June 18th 05, 02:30 AM
Dave Combs

After spending 2 1/2 hours yesterday on the 405 (LA area) going 65 miles I'm
almost ready to get an automatic in may next car, no matter what decade that
is!

dave

Old June 18th 05, 01:55 PM
Joe

I hear ya. My commute is usually 1 to 1-1/2 hr each way, at least 20
minutes of which is creepy crawly. An automatic is just fine for me.

BTW, to get back on topic, I ended up getting Flows again for the LX.
2-chamber Delta something or other. The shop I went to did a cat-back
but they saved my stock tips, which I wanted badly. $300 out the
door. The sound is fairly mellow during normal driving, but they
sound downright _nasty_ at WOT.

"Dave Combs" > wrote in
:

Old June 18th 05, 03:44 PM
Dave Combs

That's exactly the sound I'm looking for. Thanks.

Dave