Jackson SC for my '97 !?

Old July 19th 06, 04:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Dave Smith[_1_]

Default Jackson SC for my '97 !?

I started thinking about getting a turbo, but after doing some
homework, I've pretty much decided to go with a Jackson supercharger.
There's a place near me, MD Automotive in Westminster Ca., that
specializes in installing Jacksons, the installed price is in my range
of $3000-$3500, and it sounds as if the Jackson SC will give me the
performance boost I'm looking for.

I'm very interested in hearing from anyone with experience with the
Jackson SC. How driveable? How noisy? Any downsides? and for a
kind of a downer question, how much of an insurance hit does it bring?

I'm a 56 year old guy and my Miata is my daily ride. I won't race, I
just want a little more grin per gallon.

Thanks very much for any comments.
Old July 20th 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
McMahon

I've had my JRSC (stock crank pulley, 6.5 lbs. boost, no intercooler) for
about 5 years, 50K miles with absolutely NO problems. None. Runs great. a
little balky when cold. It also has 'idle-droop' but I think that's a
'99/'00 thing. I also installed a 4-into-1 header (Brainstorm) and the
performance is just right for me. Power is good thruout rev-range and it
PULLS, believe me. Love the sound of the blower whine and the header (stock
muffler). Wouldn't trade it for ANYthing. But get the header, too.

You'll have to change the belt about every 12K miles. keep an eye on belt
for cracks. Remember to run high-octane, 92, if you can get it or 91 if you
can't.

You're gonna love it.

I have a 'Don't Ask; Don't Tell' policy with my insurance carrier. They
don't ask, I don't tell.

Steve McMahon
Green JRSC '00LS

Old July 20th 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck

You can always describe it as a modification for use in the mountains (high
altitude)
I have a factory supercharged chevy and an FM]['d MX-5.

Old July 22nd 06, 06:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
tooloud

McMahon wrote:
> I've had my JRSC (stock crank pulley, 6.5 lbs. boost, no intercooler)
> for about 5 years, 50K miles with absolutely NO problems. None.

How about when it's cold? Does it get balky? What about "idle-droop"? Ever
have that problem? Any strange belt issues?

> Runs great. a little balky when cold. It also has 'idle-droop' but
> I think that's a '99/'00 thing. I also installed a 4-into-1 header
> (Brainstorm) and the performance is just right for me. Power is good
> thruout rev-range and it PULLS, believe me. Love the sound of the
> blower whine and the header (stock muffler). Wouldn't trade it for
> ANYthing. But get the header, too.
> You'll have to change the belt about every 12K miles. keep an eye on
> belt for cracks. Remember to run high-octane, 92, if you can get it
> or 91 if you can't.
>
> You're gonna love it.
>
> I have a 'Don't Ask; Don't Tell' policy with my insurance carrier. They
> don't ask, I don't tell.

I've seriously considered installing a JRSC on my '95 M-edition, but the one
guy I knew that had one said much the same as everyone else; "it's great,
except for..." I'd ask him to elaborate but he's dead.

--
tooloud
Remove nothing to reply

Old July 22nd 06, 08:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
L Bader

In all things, there are PROs and CONs. You will get power gains,
however there is always, ultimately a price to pay. -- You are the
only judge as to whether or not the "penalties" are worth the
"benefits".

For example, one of the members of my local Miata club recently had
Bell Engineering build a turbo charged drivetrain for him. He loves
the power and the responsiveness, but *immediately* noticed an
increase in fuel consumption. -- In that this is a (planned) track
car, he is more than happy with the trade off. (However, he has not
had the updated motor long enough to know what maintenance changes
will be required.)

As to the "idle droop", with a '97 you should not have to worry about
it. From what I've heard, it is a quirk of the '99-2000 Miatae...

- L

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 17:10:17 GMT, "tooloud" >
wrote:

>McMahon wrote:
>> I've had my JRSC (stock crank pulley, 6.5 lbs. boost, no intercooler)
>> for about 5 years, 50K miles with absolutely NO problems. None.

>How about when it's cold? Does it get balky? What about "idle-droop"? Ever
>have that problem? Any strange belt issues?
>
>> Runs great. a little balky when cold. It also has 'idle-droop' but
>> I think that's a '99/'00 thing. I also installed a 4-into-1 header
>> (Brainstorm) and the performance is just right for me. Power is good
>> thruout rev-range and it PULLS, believe me. Love the sound of the
>> blower whine and the header (stock muffler). Wouldn't trade it for
>> ANYthing. But get the header, too.
>> You'll have to change the belt about every 12K miles. keep an eye on
>> belt for cracks. Remember to run high-octane, 92, if you can get it
>> or 91 if you can't.
>>
>> You're gonna love it.
>>
>> I have a 'Don't Ask; Don't Tell' policy with my insurance carrier. They
>> don't ask, I don't tell.

>I've seriously considered installing a JRSC on my '95 M-edition, but the one
>guy I knew that had one said much the same as everyone else; "it's great,
>except for..." I'd ask him to elaborate but he's dead.

'97 STO, "Chouki"

// Change TEJAS to TX to reply via eMail //
Old July 23rd 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
tooloud

L Bader wrote:
> In all things, there are PROs and CONs. You will get power gains,
> however there is always, ultimately a price to pay. -- You are the
> only judge as to whether or not the "penalties" are worth the
> "benefits".

No argument there. I just don't like it when JRSC owners act like the setup
is completely plug-and-play when, from everything I can tell, it's not.
Somedays you'd think the addition of a JRSC and a set of Toyo tires changes
a Miata into a Boxster-killer, but that's not the case.

> For example, one of the members of my local Miata club recently had
> Bell Engineering build a turbo charged drivetrain for him. He loves
> the power and the responsiveness, but *immediately* noticed an
> increase in fuel consumption. -- In that this is a (planned) track
> car, he is more than happy with the trade off. (However, he has not
> had the updated motor long enough to know what maintenance changes
> will be required.)
>
> As to the "idle droop", with a '97 you should not have to worry about
> it. From what I've heard, it is a quirk of the '99-2000 Miatae...

In any case, I'm currently happy with my stock '95. Oops, I *do* have a K&N
air filter...which has indeed been plug-and-play.

<snip>

--
tooloud
Remove nothing to reply

Old July 23rd 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

"tooloud" > wrote in

> No argument there. I just don't like it when JRSC owners act like
> the setup is completely plug-and-play when, from everything I can
> tell, it's not. Somedays you'd think the addition of a JRSC and a
> set of Toyo tires changes a Miata into a Boxster-killer, but
> that's not the case.

Agreed and I'm one who is completely happy with the performance of
my stock 1.6 liter Miata. I guess it comes from enough years in the
business to know that when you build a car for the world's fastest
top speed or fastest acceleration or fastest through the twisties
you've only got 10 minutes or less before someone builds something
faster! <G>

To me, the Miata is a good combination of performance and price and
that's the biggest trade-off, if you want a Boxster-killer it might
be cheaper to buy a Boxster...

If you really want to go faster spend a bit more and get this:

http://www.bombardier.com/index.jsp?..._2_1/3_2_1.jsp
Old July 23rd 06, 11:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
lgadbois

Why get a Jackson M45 when you can get an M62 system for about the same
price?

Check this out:
http://www.fastforwardsuperchargers....rchargers.html

Jackson Supercharger ron[_1_] Mazda 5 July 8th 06 12:57 AM
american justice in action the guvnor Ford Mustang 9 June 16th 05 09:28 AM
Barrett Jackson Auction Kevin_S Jeep 2 February 1st 05 11:18 PM
Vintage Cars Get Hot with Makeovers Grover C. McCoury III Ford Mustang 2 December 5th 04 04:13 AM
FA: BRP Jackson Racing supercharger for 99-00 Miata (ends today) SC Miata Mazda 0 September 7th 04 04:55 PM