Wheel Care Tips

Old July 16th 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
JeepXJ

Default Wheel Care Tips

I just bought a 65th Anniversary Edition Wrangler and it has the
"Forged Aluminum Wheels" on it. I am curious about the BEST way to care
for these wheels. I have had it about 10 days and am already
experiencing a great amount of brake dust on the front two wheels. Any
suggestions?

Old July 16th 06, 06:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jerry Bransford

Wash the wheels? Change the brake pads to something like Performance
Friction that gives off less brake dust?

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old July 16th 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Butt Im Learnin

what does the Owner's Manual say?

Lot's of good wheel cleaner chemicals out there, but you don't want to
eat thru any factory coating that might be on the wheels. For mine, the
manual says use mild car wash soap & rinse them off - but not to use any
specific wheel cleaners.

Old July 16th 06, 06:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

Jerry Bransford wrote:
> Wash the wheels? Change the brake pads to something like Performance
> Friction that gives off less brake dust?
>
> JeepXJ wrote:
>> I just bought a 65th Anniversary Edition Wrangler and it has the
>> "Forged Aluminum Wheels" on it. I am curious about the BEST way to
>> care for these wheels. I have had it about 10 days and am already
>> experiencing a great amount of brake dust on the front two wheels.
>> Any suggestions?

And only clean with good ol carwash soap and water. Don't use that
spray on wheel cleaner as it will just strip the protective coating
on the aluminum and you will wind up with corrosion.

--
DougW

Old July 16th 06, 07:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_1_]

Inert brake dust won't hurt anything. Water is the real enemy. With time,
it will cause pitting of the aluminum. On polished wheels, wax can help
protect the surface, and make it easier to wash off the brake dust. Then
the wax promotes drying. With dull surfaced wheels, a little aluminum
chemistry is good to know. Like iron, aluminum forms an oxide on reacting
with the oxygen in the atmosphere. But unlike iron, aluminum oxide is a
hard, tough coating that protects the aluminum underneath from further
damage. You don't want to scratch that stuff off with harsh cleaners or
stiff brushes. Use a soft sponge, a mild detergent or soap, and make sure
to rinse off all the cleaner when done. Resist the temptation to clean the
wheels too frequently, but every time you do so, make sure that they are
completely clean and dry when you are done.

At least you don't have to worry about rust forming under paint, and wheels
turning brown as a result. ;^)

Earle

ps.com...

Old July 16th 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon

Good wax helps, unfortunately is a pain to apply frequently enough
unless you look at it as an opportunity to rotate them. Haven't seen
much difference between the stuff like Blue Coral and ordinary old paste
or spray wax. Washing with ordinary car soap and a good brush helps.

Jerry Bransford proclaimed:

Old July 17th 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

I believe rims are supposed to have brake dust on them:
http://www.billhughes.com/realJeepFrame.jpg
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old July 17th 06, 05:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

Real Jeeps don't have disk brakes.

Old July 18th 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Troy

dog pee ruined mine but they're covered in mud enough to hide the damage.

Troy

om...