Faded Paint

Old April 27th 06, 02:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Faded Paint

Hi all

I've got a '95 red Miata and the plastic nose/bumper has been faded/oxidized for some time now, and the car's performance seems to have slowed down the more it faded. Now it seems my Red Miata is being out-performed by the normally slower White Miatas. Bottom line...not good for my ego :-(

So I want to go ahead and get it shiny'ed up. I know there are polishes etc out there to do the job, but can anyone recommend particular products that they have had a good experience with.

Thanks in advance

Jitendra
'95 partly faded red.
Old April 27th 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >,
"hmmm" > wrote:

> So I want to go ahead and get it shiny'ed up. I know there are polishes etc
> out there to do the job, but can anyone recommend particular products that
> they have had a good experience with.

Meguiar's is the standard. Start with the fine cut cleaner, then the
polish, then either #26 wax or NXT liquid. If the fine cut cleaner isn't
getting the job done, try the medium cut cleaner.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old April 27th 06, 07:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Meguiar's, Meguiar's, Meguiar's. And a nice dual-action buffer.

Try using their ColorX on the faded areas to restore some of the paint
color. Don't get too upset about paint on your pads, the cleaner will
remove most, if not all, of the oxidation which will show up as red on the
pads.

My '90 has a problem with water spotting on the hood - Meguiar's brings back
the shine every time.

And as for performance, when was the last time you replaced your spark plug
wires? That can make a *major* difference in performance.

Our local club just did a detail day with 2 Meguiar's reps - photos can be
seen in our gallery at
http://www.lvmoc.net/gallery/view_al...etail-Day-2006 -
there's a couple of good "before" and "after" shots to show just how well
Meguiar's works.

Iva & Belle.)
'90B Classic Red.)
#3 winkin' Miata

Old April 28th 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

ever try clay? i here good things about the mothers california kit which
comes with clay bar, clay lubricant, and polish... but might give the
meguiars treatment that you suggest a try...
http://www.autobarn.net/ch07240.html

Old April 28th 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"hmmm" > wrote:

>Hi all
>
>I've got a '95 red Miata and the plastic nose/bumper has been faded/oxidized for some time now, and the car's performance seems to have slowed down the more it faded.

Actually, it just requires less effort to drive fast.

> Now it seems my Red Miata is being out-performed by the normally slower White Miatas.

You mean the parked white Miatas.

Leon

--
Leon van Dommelen Bess, the Miata Bozo, the Miata
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
Old April 28th 06, 01:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Iva" .> wrote in message
> Meguiar's, Meguiar's, Meguiar's. And a nice dual-action buffer.
>
> Try using their ColorX on the faded areas to restore some of the paint
> color. Don't get too upset about paint on your pads, the cleaner will
> remove most, if not all, of the oxidation which will show up as red on the
> pads.
>
> My '90 has a problem with water spotting on the hood - Meguiar's brings
> back
> the shine every time.
>
> And as for performance, when was the last time you replaced your spark
> plug
> wires? That can make a *major* difference in performance.
>
> Our local club just did a detail day with 2 Meguiar's reps - photos can be
> seen in our gallery at
> http://www.lvmoc.net/gallery/view_al...etail-Day-2006
> -
> there's a couple of good "before" and "after" shots to show just how well
> Meguiar's works.
>
> Iva & Belle.)
> '90B Classic Red.)
> #3 winkin' Miata

ditto on the wires. made mine feel like a new car. if you change the wires
be sure to change the plugs. putting fresh wires on fouled plugs is not a
good idea.

Old April 28th 06, 06:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

I had the same fading problem on my red '92. Applied Mothers liquid "Back
to Black" product and the difference is amazing! What a great,
inexpensive solution to this problem.

Old April 28th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Thanks All

Iva & Belle

I was just kidding about the performance;-). I replaced the plugs and wires
3 months ago after the car started hesitating and it solved that problem.
I'm gonna try the Meguiars since that seems to be the overwhelming
recommendation. Once again the Miata newsgroup comes to the rescue; works
every time!

Your LVMOC web site is nicely done, and I'm gonna bookmark it just to see
what's going on.

Everyone, thanks for your responses!

Jitendra

--
VIPULA TAILOR

Old April 28th 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Leon, thanks for taking the bait! A sense of humour never hurt anyone...well
at least anyone that I know personally ;-)

--
VIPULA TAILOR

Old April 29th 06, 12:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"hmmm" > wrote:

>Leon, thanks for taking the bait! A sense of humour never hurt anyone...well
>at least anyone that I know personally ;-)

You are a poster after my own heart.

Leon