Is An Inspection by A Mechanic Worthwhile?

Old April 25th 06, 01:34 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Is An Inspection by A Mechanic Worthwhile?

Hello All

My 1998 Windstar 3.8L, with 145,000 miles on it needs a transmission.
I'd like to make sure there isn't another high cost problem lurking
around the corner, and am thinking of taking it to my mechanic, and ask
him to inspect the engine including a compression test, inspect the
front end, brakes, etc.

Does this seem like a reasonable plan? Any suggestions on what to look
for?

Old April 25th 06, 03:50 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

A good tech should be able to give you a list of obviously needed repairs
and a relativly accuare estimate of the general conditon of the engine and
suspension/ powertrain with minimum diagnostic time involved. No tech can
accurately predict what might fail unexpectedly. A compression test on an
older engine dosen't mean much by itself. A clyinder leak down test along
with careful inspection for signs of poor maintainence will tell a lot more.
In most cases a good look at the sludge under the oil filler cap tells the
whole story.

--
Kevin Mouton
Automotive Technology Instructor

ups.com...

Old April 25th 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Could be the best money you spend on it.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old April 25th 06, 06:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

KC wrote:
> Hello All
>
> My 1998 Windstar 3.8L, with 145,000 miles on it needs a transmission.
> I'd like to make sure there isn't another high cost problem lurking
> around the corner, and am thinking of taking it to my mechanic, and ask
> him to inspect the engine including a compression test, inspect the
> front end, brakes, etc.
>
> Does this seem like a reasonable plan? Any suggestions on what to look
> for?

An inspection is imho a very good use of your money. A good mechanic,
hopefully one with experience with that make, who can see and hear
things that most of us would pass by.

For example my daughter was considering the purchase of a 2000 Saab.
We spent $75.00 for a mechanic at the local Saab dealer to give it a
pre-purchase inspection, and he spotted several issues that would have
to be resolved in the near future. The owner wasn't willing to
negotiate so we passed.

There are

State-endorsed fraud Mike T. Driving 7 March 25th 06 02:24 PM
carfax help please?? [email protected] Technology 9 March 24th 06 01:18 PM
Stockton area inspection mechanic [email protected] VW water cooled 1 September 1st 05 10:24 PM
Advice Please! Car Repair Rip-Off! Police Involvement? Bill General 0 September 2nd 04 06:13 PM