'86 Jeep CJ7 - need help

Old September 2nd 06, 06:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
mh51867

Default '86 Jeep CJ7 - need help

I have a 1986 Jeep CJ7 which I recently put a rebuilt engine into.
Just today, there's a new problem that's got me stumped. The two rear
tires have a greasy oily substance that is literally sprayed all over
them (inner tires and inside the wheel wells). I've been underneath
and don't see any leaks - this obviously happened while driving.
There's a ton of oil. What is the most weird is that it's on BOTH
sides - both rear inner tires & wheel wells. Brake fluid is full and
looks fine, no drips underneath the jeep. I did hear a semi loud clunk
when driving this morning just as I got going and was turning sharply
out of the driveway. No leaks up front.

Any ideas?

Old September 2nd 06, 06:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

Is it heavy and stinky enough to be gear lube?

oups.com...

Old September 2nd 06, 06:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

Both brake fluid and gear lube have their distinct smells, but
regardless it must come apart to replace the seals or cups, or both.
AMC20 hub: http://www.billhughes.com/amc20hub.jpg Axle and shoes:
http://www.billhughes.com/temp/AMC20axle.pdf Dana 44 axle and shoes:
http://www.billhughes.com/temp/dana44axle.pdf
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old September 2nd 06, 01:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
mh51867

Not thick enough to be lube - that's for certain. Definitely oily and
thin. I'll check all seals & cups - just very strange in my opinion
for both tires (both sides in other words) to have this stuff sprayed
all over them.

Thanks for the input - keep it coming if this issue sounds like
something you know of.

Old September 2nd 06, 01:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
mh51867

and by the way - thanks for taking the time to post the links - very
helpful - I appreciate it!!!

Old September 5th 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Usually that means you have filled the rear pumpkin with water. The
gear oil floats on top and presses at the back of the seals so it leaks
out and gets spun away by the tires. Your brake shoes are now likely
garbage too.

Is the high water vent on the rear axle clear and hooked up? Have you
crossed any water lately?

It is time to check the rear end fluid anyway. If it pours out the
hole, then you have water likely. The water raises the oil level. If
it looks like a purple milkshake, you have water for sure.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's