A few Odd questions

Old July 10th 05, 02:23 PM

Default A few Odd questions

OK,.. we are cooking now,.. Except for a handfull of minor problems
our bug is up and running. My wife has drivien it to work (40 miles
round trip) for a week now and she is happy. But we do have a few more
questions to ask,...

1. What kind of gas should we run in this thing? Kim found something
that says 91 Octaine. It's a 1600 dual Port Engine made in 71.

2. What is the best oil to run? 10 W "what".

3. We are having a problem with the lights,.. when you pull the
switch back once all the running lights come on,.. pull it once more
and they go out and the headlights come on. Any clue where to look
for this problem? Can I wire it to the headlights so everything come
on at the last pull?

4. I bought a used (and rusty) original car jack,.. I've got it
soaking in WD 40 and will clean it all up. But it has 2 places for
the jack handle and I don't see any place to switch from up to down.
Anyone help me here?

5. When moving the front seats back so that I can get behind the wheel
they tend ot want to fly off the track. IS there something that isn't
there that is supposed to stop that from happening?

So many questions,.. so little time <G>.

Ken
73 Beetle
Old July 10th 05, 02:57 PM
Jan Andersson

> OK,.. we are cooking now,.. Except for a handfull of minor problems
> our bug is up and running. My wife has drivien it to work (40 miles
> round trip) for a week now and she is happy. But we do have a few more
> questions to ask,...
>
> 1. What kind of gas should we run in this thing? Kim found something
> that says 91 Octaine. It's a 1600 dual Port Engine made in 71.

Depends on teh engine. I forget, is it stock? Then lower octane should
do. If you experience pinging or the engine sputters after you turn the
ignition off, switch to higher octane.

> 2. What is the best oil to run? 10 W "what".

Depends on how hot it is where you live. SUMMER oils would be 20W30,
brand name doesn't play a huge role in your case. Stay with known decent
brands.

10W "anythig" whould be winter oil for those who get temps below
freezing point. (of water).

> 4. I bought a used (and rusty) original car jack,.. I've got it
> soaking in WD 40 and will clean it all up. But it has 2 places for
> the jack handle and I don't see any place to switch from up to down.
> Anyone help me here?

One handle socket pumps the jack up, and the other pumps the jack down.

Do NOT use teh original jack spots, the "ears" on the chassis, just
under the running boards.
After 30-some years, they are not strong enough.

> 5. When moving the front seats back so that I can get behind the wheel
> they tend ot want to fly off the track. IS there something that isn't
> there that is supposed to stop that from happening?

Seats come off through the front. Under no circumstances should it be
possible for them to come off when pushed towards the back. Your seat
tracks may be starting to give.

Jan
Old July 10th 05, 03:05 PM

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 09:42:48 -0400, Speedy Jim > wrote:

> Sounds like bad switch.
> If you wire "it" to the headlights, nothing will come on in
>"Parking Light" position.
>
> hmmmm '73 is supposed to have a rocker switch, not pull type.

Well,.. to tell you the truth the Bug is reged as a 1970,.. has a 1971
engine,... but the chasiss is a 73 <sigh> So who knows what year the
switch is from <G>.

Ken

Old July 10th 05, 03:07 PM

>> 4. I bought a used (and rusty) original car jack,.. I've got it
>> soaking in WD 40 and will clean it all up. But it has 2 places for
>> the jack handle and I don't see any place to switch from up to down.
>> Anyone help me here?

>One handle socket pumps the jack up, and the other pumps the jack down.
>
>Do NOT use teh original jack spots, the "ears" on the chassis, just
>under the running boards.
>After 30-some years, they are not strong enough.

OK,.. I think I need some clarification here,... If I cna't use the
ears then this jack is useless. What kind of Jack should I get? and
where should I jack it up from?

Ken
Old July 10th 05, 03:42 PM
Bob

I use a scissor jack from an old Toyota or Honda and just lift up the wheel
I want to work on. The VW jack lifts the entire side of the car. - Bob

Old July 10th 05, 04:02 PM
Tim Rogers

"Speedy Jim" > wrote in message

> I like a scissor over a hyd jack because they have better footprint
> and won't "leak" down.

.................My '93 Altima has a perfect scissors jack for use on a bug.
When I get rid of it someday, I'm keeping the jack!

Old July 10th 05, 05:30 PM

I've always carried a small floor jack in my bus. It does have lots of
hiding places though.

The seats should have a small spring tab that keeps the seat from sliding
all the way off. The seat release lever sould also have a spring on it that
engages the slots on the frame and makes it difficult to slide off. I'd try
and find a bug at a junkyard or shop to go and look at how this works.
Andy