Canada's new Toyota plant

Old July 10th 05, 03:43 AM
RichA

Default Canada's new Toyota plant

One reason they gave for setting up
(in Quebec, I think) was the illiteracy
they found in the American South. Apparently,
there is a real problem with things like reading
and writing down there. So much so that they've
had to do things with symbolism instead of writing.
That is pretty bad for a first world country.

Old July 10th 05, 04:08 AM
D.K.R.

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/business/050630/b0630102.html

Toyota to build 100,000 vehicles per year in Woodstock, Ont., starting 2008

11:06 PM EDT Jul 09

New President of Toyota Motor Corp. Katsuaki Watanabe said that the
automaker plans to build a new plant in Canada. (AP/Shizuo Kambayashi)
STEVE ERWIN

WOODSTOCK, Ont. (CP) - Ontario workers are well-trained.

That simple explanation was cited as a main reason why Toyota turned its
back on hundreds of millions of dollars in subsidies offered from
several American states in favour of building a second Ontario plant.

Industry experts say Ontarians are easier and cheaper to train - helping
make it more cost-efficient to train workers when the new Woodstock
plant opens in 2008, 40 kilometres away from its skilled workforce in
Cambridge.

"The level of the workforce in general is so high that the training
program you need for people, even for people who have not worked in a
Toyota plant before, is minimal compared to what you have to go through
in the southeastern United States," said Gerry Fedchun, president of the
Automotive Parts Manufacturers' Association, whose members will see
increased business with the new plant.

Acknowledging it was the "worst-kept secret" throughout Ontario's
automotive industry, Toyota confirmed months of speculation Thursday by
announcing plans to build a 1,300-worker factory in the southwestern
Ontario city.

"Welcome to Woodstock - that's something I've been waiting a long time
to say," Ray Tanguay, president of Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada,
told hundreds gathered at a high school gymnasium.

The plant will produce the RAV-4, dubbed by some as a "mini
sport-utility vehicle" that Toyota currently makes only in Japan. It
plans to build 100,000 vehicles annually.

The factory will cost $800 million to build, with the federal and
provincial governments kicking in $125 million of that to help cover
research, training and infrastructure costs.

Several U.S. states were reportedly prepared to offer more than double
that amount of subsidy. But Fedchun said much of that extra money would
have been eaten away by higher training costs than are necessary for the
Woodstock project.

He said Nissan and Honda have encountered difficulties getting new
plants up to full production in recent years in Mississippi and Alabama
due to an untrained - and often illiterate - workforce. In Alabama,
trainers had to use "pictorials" to teach some illiterate workers how to
use high-tech plant equipment.

"The educational level and the skill level of the people down there is
so much lower than it is in Ontario," Fedchun said.

In addition to lower training costs, Canadian workers are also $4 to $5
cheaper to employ partly thanks to the taxpayer-funded health-care
system in Canada, said federal Industry Minister David Emmerson.

"Most people don't think of our health-care system as being a
competitive advantage," he said.

Tanguay said Toyota's decision on where to build its seventh North
American plant was "not only about money."

"It's about being in the right place," he said, noting the company can
rely on the expertise of experienced Cambridge workers to help get
Woodstock up and running.

Premier Dalton McGuinty said the money the province and Ottawa are
pledging for the project is well-spent. His government has committed
$400 million, including the latest Toyota package, to the province's
auto sector, which helped finance $5-billion worth of industry projects.

"I think that's a great investment that will more than pay for itself in
terms of new jobs and new economic returns," McGuinty said.

The provincial funds for the auto sector were drawn from a fund set up
to attract investments specifically in that industry. McGuinty said no
similar industry funds are being planned for other sectors, but added
the province wants to attract biotechnology companies - those working on
multibillion-dollar advanced medical research.

"What we have done for auto we would like to be able to do for biotech,"
he said. "That's where we're lending some real focus to at the present
time."

Similarly, Emmerson said Ottawa is looking to help out industries that
create "clusters" of jobs around them - such as in aerospace,
shipbuilding, telecommunications and forestry - where supply bases build
around a large manufacturer.

Old July 10th 05, 04:28 AM
pawn

D.K.R. wrote:

> http://www.cbc.ca/cp/business/050630/b0630102.html

(snip)

Most stupid thing I've ever read. You understand NASA operates out of
Hunstville, right?
Old July 10th 05, 04:55 AM
D.K.R.

pawn wrote:
> D.K.R. wrote:
>
>> http://www.cbc.ca/cp/business/050630/b0630102.html

> (snip)
>
> Most stupid thing I've ever read. You understand NASA operates out of
> Hunstville, right?

So you're saying that rocket scientists would go work for Toyota?
Old July 10th 05, 05:18 AM
Michael Johnson, PE

RichA wrote:
> One reason they gave for setting up
> (in Quebec, I think) was the illiteracy
> they found in the American South. Apparently,
> there is a real problem with things like reading
> and writing down there. So much so that they've
> had to do things with symbolism instead of writing.
> That is pretty bad for a first world country.

Thank the NEA. They're more interested in protecting their
jobs/salaries than educating the students. Generally speaking, of course.
Old July 10th 05, 06:20 AM
Jim Warman

hurc... is that you???

Old July 10th 05, 07:51 AM
RichA

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 00:51:27 -0500, William Claude Dukenfield <William
Claude > wrote:

>On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 05:20:55 GMT, "Jim Warman"
> wrote:
>>hurc... is that you???
>>"RichA" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> One reason they gave for setting up
>>> (in Quebec, I think) was the illiteracy
>>> they found in the American South. Apparently,
>>> there is a real problem with things like reading
>>> and writing down there. So much so that they've
>>> had to do things with symbolism instead of writing.
>>> That is pretty bad for a first world country.

>Naw, just another Canadian showing that inferiority complex.
>
>Next they will accuse the US of Igloo envy.

I'd never heard what the Japanese reported in that story.
But, just like losers who sit around for years, knowing their jobs
will end (for whatever reason) and NEVER seek re-training, just
sit around, complaining and getting fat, they get what they deserve.
-Rich
Old July 10th 05, 08:38 AM
Jim Warman

Ummmm.... how can I say this nicely???? I'm a f*cking Canadian and you sound
like an arrogant *******!!!!!

There.... now I feel better....

"William Claude Dukenfield" <William Claude > wrote in
message ...

Old July 10th 05, 03:14 PM
pawn

D.K.R. wrote:
> pawn wrote:
>>
>> Most stupid thing I've ever read. You understand NASA operates out of
>> Hunstville, right?

> So you're saying that rocket scientists would go work for Toyota?

No, I'm saying that the idea of not being able to find enough trained
workers in any significantly populated area is silly. I've worked on an
auto parts plant in Huntsville, the people seemed just like people
everywhere.
Old July 10th 05, 04:50 PM
EADGBE

This might get me deported, but I am an American living in the south
and I for one applaud Toyota's decision and totally understand their
reasons for locating their plant in Ontario.

The south IS a backwards place. I taught high school here for three
years and let me tell you, it was enough to make Mother Teresa lose her
faith. You have never seen so many people who not only are expecting
to, but actually WANTING to become nothing at all. They are sorry,
pathetic losers and, incredibly, they are just fine with it!

By contrast, about a year ago I visited Canada for the first time and
was immediately struck by how clean, friendly, and safe it was.
Everyone I met was intelligent and very accomodating. Don't get me
wrong, I am proud of my American roots, but in no way does that mean
that I think America in general, and the south in particular, has
nearly enough of its act together.

The south is a cesspool of ignorance, laziness, narrow-mindedness,
futility, and complacence. My family and I are in the process of
saving our funds for a BIG move, and I can honestly say that I can't
wait to get out of here.