Prices to regear to lower gears

Old March 3rd 05, 02:58 AM
Jerry Bransford

I can't recommend buying gears from one location and having another
install them. If there is a problem, and there was after my last
regearing, there will be finger-pointing between the installer and where
the gears were purchased. Besides, just about any installer can match
the pricing of an online gear dealer since they want the money spent on
labor spent to install them.

Jerry

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old March 3rd 05, 03:00 AM
Jerry Bransford

I doubt very seriously that anyone can have new front and rear gears
together with a new Truetrac LSD in the rear for only $900. In fact
I'll go so far as to say that it can't be done in a retail shop for that
price.

Old March 3rd 05, 03:32 AM
JimG

Jerry, you are correct, I made a calculation mistake and did not add in the
TruTrac at $350. I discovered my mistake shortly after my post. I wish
there was a way to edit NG posts.

Sorry for the misinformation.

JimG

Old March 3rd 05, 03:43 AM
JimG

In my case the gents at the shop are experienced and personable enough to
know better. They know good gears when they see them and know that their
performance is base on their labor only. I don't think this would be odd
for any shop that knows what they are doing. Like you say: "they want the

Old March 3rd 05, 03:34 PM
Dennis Cox

I paid $300 for labor plus about another $230 or so for parts that included
a master install kit and a new carrier and lube, etc. That was just for the
front regear.
This was in Lewisville, TX.

Good luck,
Dennis

Old March 3rd 05, 05:50 PM
Matt Macchiarolo

I had 4.56 gears and a Tru-Trac installed in front for about $1300 in the
Detroit area. The parts don't hit you as much as the labor does.

Old March 3rd 05, 05:59 PM
Matt Macchiarolo

So your front and rear are running at different ratios, or you just
installed a locker/limited slip?

Old March 3rd 05, 09:12 PM
Dennis Cox

I replaced the "blown up" D35 rear with a new D44 last year, but didn't have
enuf money to regear the front at the time, so I ran with 3.73 in the rear
and the stock 3.07 in the front. I just couldn't lock it up until I got it
regeared. Now, both front and rear are 3.73 and I'm back in the mud again