A Cars forum. AutoBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AutoBanter forum » Auto makers » Alfa Romeo
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Gt Tuning

Old September 4th 06, 08:24 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
nipi
external usenet poster

Default Gt Tuning

I have just got my new GT 3.2 and after two years with a 147 GTA I now find the GT a bit lacking in the performance department, I knew that it was slightly detuned from the GTA, but not by that much.
Also the sound is not as good as the GTA.
Maybe is because the car as only done 3000 miles and needs to loosen up a bit, or maybe it needs a kick up the back side with a bit of tuning from Autodelta.
I was thinking of installing a I&N air filter and a new air intake and microchip from autodelta,but I am a bit worried about the warranty and the insurance invalidation.
Will the garage be able to detect that the engine as been chipped or not when it goes in for a service.
Any comments and suggestions much appreciated.

Nipi

Ads
Old September 7th 06, 04:50 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
davea
external usenet poster

Default Gt Tuning

I was thinking of buying the 3.2 Brera but had second thoughts due to
lack of performance. I would expect the 3.2 to deliver more and
shouldn't need to be modified but...

If you modify yours and take it to an alfa dealer for servicing they
will probably notice the superchip (if they are any good!). You could
blag it and say it's there to improve fuel efficiency instead of power
but any mechy that knows the GT will be able to tell by test drive
alone. They will most definatley use it as an excuse for anything you
try and get under warranty afterwards. They'll always have that to
throw back at you!

You could get an upgraded exhaust system though that shouldn't affect
your warranty (since exhausts aren't usually covered anyway!). Check
that out with your warranty first though. That will sort the noise out
at least.

If you are freindly with the dealer they should be happy to tell you
what you can and can't do. I would do this before you do anything

Old September 7th 06, 05:39 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
nipi
external usenet poster

Default Gt Tuning

Hi Davea

Many thanks for the info, much appreciated.

I will stick to changing the filter for the time being and then will speak to the dealer as i am in good terms with them and take it from there.

Nino

"nipi" > wrote in message ...
I have just got my new GT 3.2 and after two years with a 147 GTA I now find the GT a bit lacking in the performance department, I knew that it was slightly detuned from the GTA, but not by that much.
Maybe is because the car as only done 3000 miles and needs to loosen up a bit, or maybe it needs a kick up the back side with a bit of tuning from Autodelta.
I was thinking of installing a I&N air filter and a new air intake and microchip from autodelta,but I am a bit worried about the warranty and the insurance invalidation.
Will the garage be able to detect that the engine as been chipped or not when it goes in for a service.

Nipi

Old September 7th 06, 09:05 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
alfistagj
external usenet poster

Default Gt Tuning

Don't forget the difference in weight between 147 and GT, I believe 125kgs, with slightly less HP's!!
Logically the GT will feel less powerful than the 147!

Chipping by re-programming the original chip it not traceable by a dealer.
Two problems:
-1-
Finding a good tuner to do so is difficult. Don't believe the cheap, 10 minute jobs, they stink. Invest in a tuning by a "real" tuner that loads new software, test runs the car on the ddyno befor and after and corrects the programm lines based on what they have realized with the default tuning, dyno test again to check etc. until they are happy with YOUR car/engine.
-2-
Should a factory software upgrade come, and you bring your car in for a service, a good dealer downloads the new factory software and overwrites your tuners software ;-(
But they don't see the software has been changed (unless their engineer is a software wizzkid.......)

I would wait until 15000 miles, then your engine will be "loose".

--
Ciao from The Netherlands
alfistagj (aka Gert-Jan)
GT 2.0 JTS (2005)
Montreal 2.6V8 (1428700 - 1973/4)

"nipi" > schreef in bericht ...

Nipi
Old September 8th 06, 12:08 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
kn
external usenet poster

Default Gt Tuning

Thank's for the info.

Nino
"alfistagj" > wrote in message . ..
Don't forget the difference in weight between 147 and GT, I believe 125kgs, with slightly less HP's!!
Logically the GT will feel less powerful than the 147!

Chipping by re-programming the original chip it not traceable by a dealer.
Two problems:
-1-
Finding a good tuner to do so is difficult. Don't believe the cheap, 10 minute jobs, they stink. Invest in a tuning by a "real" tuner that loads new software, test runs the car on the ddyno befor and after and corrects the programm lines based on what they have realized with the default tuning, dyno test again to check etc. until they are happy with YOUR car/engine.
-2-
Should a factory software upgrade come, and you bring your car in for a service, a good dealer downloads the new factory software and overwrites your tuners software ;-(
But they don't see the software has been changed (unless their engineer is a software wizzkid.......)

I would wait until 15000 miles, then your engine will be "loose".

--
Ciao from The Netherlands
alfistagj (aka Gert-Jan)
GT 2.0 JTS (2005)
Montreal 2.6V8 (1428700 - 1973/4)

"nipi" > schreef in bericht ...

Nipi
Old September 11th 06, 10:50 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Pinot Grigio
external usenet poster

Default Gt Tuning

You could try talking to Keith at Monza Sport http://www.monzasport.co.uk/
They do tuning and are now an authorised dealer. He has just gone on holiday so wait at least a couple of weeks before calling.

Looks like you need to change to using plain text and not HTML when posting.

"nipi" > wrote in message ...

Nipi

Old September 11th 06, 11:02 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
kn
external usenet poster

Default Gt Tuning

Thanks for the info

Unfortunatly they are bit far from me.

Nino
"Pinot Grigio" <someone@somewhere> wrote in message
You could try talking to Keith at Monza Sport http://www.monzasport.co.uk/
They do tuning and are now an authorised dealer. He has just gone on
holiday so wait at least a couple of weeks before calling.

Looks like you need to change to using plain text and not HTML when posting.

"nipi" > wrote in message
I have just got my new GT 3.2 and after two years with a 147 GTA I now find
the GT a bit lacking in the performance department, I knew that it was
slightly detuned from the GTA, but not by that much.
Maybe is because the car as only done 3000 miles and needs to loosen up a
bit, or maybe it needs a kick up the back side with a bit of tuning from
Autodelta.
I was thinking of installing a I&N air filter and a new air intake and
microchip from autodelta,but I am a bit worried about the warranty and the
insurance invalidation.
Will the garage be able to detect that the engine as been chipped or not
when it goes in for a service.

Nipi