Emissions test question

Old August 11th 06, 12:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Randy Pavatte

Default Emissions test question

Greetings.
I live in Houston, Texas, and own a 90 Mustang GT. Recently I got my
registration notice in the mail, and noticed some text on it about
emissions testing, and a few circumstances that apparently exempt a car
from the tests.
One caught my attention. It said if the car is driven 60 days or less a
year it can be exempted.
I began keeping mine in storage about 5 months ago, and even before that
it only gets driven on weekends....and specifically pretty ones at that.
Therefore its reasonable my car is within these guidelines.
My question is...can anyone tell me what my first step is to research
this?
I don't even know where to begin.
Any leads would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Randy

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us
from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

Old August 11th 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Kate[_3_]

My guess would be the DMV that sent you the notice.
It's probable that you can find your branch online, and search their rules
and regs there.

Just remember, if you try to beat the system and get caught it can be quite
expensive.

Are you feeling doubtful that your vehicle will pass a smog inspection? If
so, why not go ahead and make it compliant so it's putting out as few
emissions as possible. Then, when you go for a drive on one of those
especially nice days and you look out through that ugly brown haze in the
sky you will feel some comfort in knowing that you are contributing as
little as possible to the crud in the air.

Kate

PS: Your sig line is a good example of what it seems you may be trying to
do.

Old August 11th 06, 03:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Zod, General

"Randy Pavatte" > wrote in message
> Greetings.
> I live in Houston, Texas, and own a 90 Mustang GT. Recently I got my
> registration notice in the mail, and noticed some text on it about
> emissions testing, and a few circumstances that apparently exempt a car
> from the tests.

my 93 passes easy, and it has a supercharger on it, with lots of stuff
changed.
Just go do it, fear not the smog smellers.

Old August 12th 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Randy Pavatte

Kate, I appreciate your suggestions and will look into them. The reason
I dread the testing has nothing to do with my emissions. Over a decade
ago I had turndowns installed, and ever since I have hit-n-miss luck
with shops on whether they'll test it or not. I always ended up finding
someone who'd test it, and it has always passed with flying colors.
I still have all the necessary smog equipment on the car, and the only
thing that's caused any trouble is the exit.
Some testers tell me it must exit the rear or sides of the car. That
didn't stop shops from testing it every year until last.
I'm not typically one to "buck the system", but in this case I don't
feel the issue is anything more than a tester's desire to reach a little
further under to attach the sniffer. Again, thanks for the advice.

Old August 12th 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Scott Moseman

Zod, General wrote:

>> I live in Houston, Texas, and own a 90 Mustang GT. Recently
>> I got my registration notice in the mail, and noticed some
>> text on it about emissions testing, and a few circumstances
>> that apparently exempt a car from the tests.

> my 93 passes easy, and it has a supercharger on it, with lots
> of stuff changed. Just go do it, fear not the smog smellers.

It's not hard to pass a sniffer test in Houston.
A buddy's '93 could pass without having any cats.

But this guy's issue is with inspectors not wanting
to test his car due to the turn downs, not a problem
with being able to pass the test.

Thanks,
Scott
Old August 12th 06, 03:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jim Warman

FWIW... while "turn downs" under the car may have no effect on emissions
testing, the may contravene other vehicle safety laws. Durig my daily
duties, I am called upon to perform "out of province" vehicle inspections
(among other government mandated inspections). The guidelines are pretty
succinct regarding exhaust systems.... They MUST exit in such a way that
exhaust gasses have no chance of entering the passenger compartment...
meaning that the exhaust must protude beyond the passenger compartment
(trunk area included).

Here-in lies the conumdrum..... **** shops will usually tell you what you
want to hear - anything for a buck, mister... the quicker the buck, the
better we are.... Good shops often deliver news you don't want to hear....
knowledgeable staff are a big downfall when it comes to what is right and
what is wrong.... because the last umpteen shops you went to hosed you over
real bad, the "bad guys" are the ones that want to do things the proper way.

Sorry for the rant.... but your hit and miss luck is more from incompetent
shops saying "git-er-done and pay me cash..." than good shops trying to
steer you in logical, accepted directions.