No brake lights!

Old December 16th 04, 02:35 AM
Big Bill

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 13:08:16 -0600, "John Riggs"
> wrote:

> Whatcha mean *if*? It's what I do. It can't be any other way or I'm not
>doing my job.
>One of the biggest causes of failure is the tendency for people to want to
>choose their equipment, based on their wallet. Just like your car, you what
>you pay for. Quality equipment costs a bit more, but the end performance is
>worth it's weight in gold. Low end equipment may work well for a while, but
>it will eventually break your heart.

You're right.
If you can pick your clients such that they always buy what you
recommend, you're very lucky indeed!

.. .

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old December 16th 04, 06:01 AM
John Riggs

If only they bought just what I recommend, but sometimes I get lucky.

Tomorrow...another TV station...ugh!

"Big Bill" > wrote in message
| On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 13:08:16 -0600, "John Riggs"
| > wrote:
|
| > Whatcha mean *if*? It's what I do. It can't be any other way or I'm
not
| >doing my job.
| >One of the biggest causes of failure is the tendency for people to want
| >choose their equipment, based on their wallet. Just like your car, you
what
| >you pay for. Quality equipment costs a bit more, but the end performance
is
| >worth it's weight in gold. Low end equipment may work well for a while,
but
| >it will eventually break your heart.
|
| You're right.
| If you can pick your clients such that they always buy what you
| recommend, you're very lucky indeed!
|

| >"Big Bill" > wrote in message
| .. .
| >| On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:49:20 -0600, "John Riggs"
| >|

Old December 19th 04, 05:40 AM
Jim Warman

Here ya go, John.... at home, I keep losing my wireless connection randomly.
I already know why but I'd like you to ask the questions necessary to
perform a logical diagnosis.

D-Link wireless router.... two Toshiba laptops wth Air Plus Xtreme G PCM CIA
cards and a Toshiba laptop with a built in wireless card. Everything is
802.11g (memory thing happening)...

Old December 19th 04, 06:53 AM
John Riggs

I would ask if you had trouble connecting, but since you are connecting
and dropping off, I would have to assume it could be any one of a several
things or a combination.
So, why, if you already know why it's dropping out, ask how to approach
it?, Unless you are just double checking your own work? I don't give it much
thought when I do it, I just set it up and go.
D-Link is okay. Personally, I prefer Linksys ( Cisco stuff ). I'm
skeptical about "built-in" anything, to be honest

What's the computer's distance from the connecting point (router )? The
further you are from the router, the weaker the signal. You should try to
stay close enough that your signal strength doesn't drop off more than 50
feet. Walls and doors, or any physical barrier in between will further
degrade the signal, so try to keep it as close to line of site as possible.
I'm also running 802.11g, and have mine set to 802.11b ...much more
forgiving. G would be nice if you are able to use it ( as in ideal
conditions ), but if it keeps dropping out, set it to receive as B. Another
trick is to give your computer a static IP address. It will make it easier
to connect, and it also makes it harder to hack, and I recommend using a
password or encryption for security, and a firewall.
Much past 60 feet and it will likely fall off. Signal strength at 60
feet with 2 walls will probably drop you back to about 35% signal strength,
best probable speed will be 1 MB.

Now....tell me why it's dropping out...or how you arrived at that
conclusion.

I have one for *you*, that driving me crazy.....stupid truck is nuts.
After going through all of the crap to get the CEL to quit lighting up, now
I don't have cruise control....fuses are good, I can't find any reason it
now working...but it's not...unless you have a secret you're not telling me,
but it was working fine last week, now, nothing. This truck is driving me
crazy. One bloody thing after another.

"Jim Warman" > wrote in message
| Here ya go, John.... at home, I keep losing my wireless connection
randomly.
| I already know why but I'd like you to ask the questions necessary to
| perform a logical diagnosis.
|
| D-Link wireless router.... two Toshiba laptops wth Air Plus Xtreme G PCM
CIA
| cards and a Toshiba laptop with a built in wireless card. Everything is
| 802.11g (memory thing happening)...
|

| "John Riggs" > wrote in message
| > Whatcha mean *if*? It's what I do. It can't be any other way or I'm
not
| > doing my job.
| > One of the biggest causes of failure is the tendency for people to want
| > choose their equipment, based on their wallet. Just like your car, you
| > what
| > you pay for. Quality equipment costs a bit more, but the end performance
| > is
| > worth it's weight in gold. Low end equipment may work well for a while,
| > but
| > it will eventually break your heart.
| >

| > "Big Bill" > wrote in message
| > | On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:49:20 -0600, "John Riggs"
| > |

Old December 19th 04, 03:58 PM
Big Bill

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 05:40:26 GMT, "Jim Warman"
> wrote:

>Here ya go, John.... at home, I keep losing my wireless connection randomly.
>I already know why but I'd like you to ask the questions necessary to
>perform a logical diagnosis.
>
>D-Link wireless router.... two Toshiba laptops wth Air Plus Xtreme G PCM CIA
>cards and a Toshiba laptop with a built in wireless card. Everything is
>802.11g (memory thing happening)...

It's those CIA cards, Jim.
The CIA is in turmoil right now, and they just don't have time to
properly monitor your wireless traffic, so they just shut them down.
Sorry about that. I know it's our (the US) fault, and we'll have it
right as rain shortly.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old December 19th 04, 06:51 PM
Jim Warman

And you have just been introduced to something similar to my world...... My
laptop usually resides within three feet (a little under a meter for the
Canucks) of the router. In my particular case, it is one of our (many)
cordless phones....... remember to put that question in your arsenal and it
probably wouldn't hurt to add some of the RF wireless remotes to it, too.

I can't recall the year of your car BUT I recently had a Job1 Ex (2000ish to
early 2002) with CC troubles. Installed a new module only to find Fords PPT
(pin point test) has a bad step in it. Problem turned out to be a bad brake
pressure sensor. The CC module monitors two volt inputs.... anything over
0.20 VDC difference between the two will make cruise control a no show.
Remind me as to your year and maybe I can help....

After a day of electro-mechanical woes.... a PC problem becomes rather easy
to figure out.

Old December 19th 04, 06:57 PM
Jim Warman

What did I hear on the news???? 15 intelligence agencies are going to be
consolidated???? FIFTEEN!?!?!? Of course, everyone already knows that
"government intelligence" lies somewhere between an oxymoron and a
conumdrum...

Old December 19th 04, 09:01 PM
John Riggs

Ah, yes...the RFI from the cordless phone operating at the same freq.
That would do it, although I rarely ever see that as an issue. Ironically,
mine doesn't seem to affect it, and they are next to each other, but it does
happen, as you know.
My Exploder is a '92 EB, if that helps.

I've been trying to find a schematic that shows the wiring, but I sadly
don't have on my Chilton's or my Haynes manuals.

"Jim Warman" > wrote in message
> [...]
| > I don't have cruise control....fuses are good, I can't find any reason
it
| > now working...but it's not...unless you have a secret you're not telling
| > me,
| > but it was working fine last week, now, nothing. This truck is driving
me
| > crazy. One bloody thing after another.
| >

| > "Jim Warman" > wrote in message
| > | Here ya go, John.... at home, I keep losing my wireless connection
| > randomly.
| > | I already know why but I'd like you to ask the questions necessary to
| > | perform a logical diagnosis.
| > |
| > | D-Link wireless router.... two Toshiba laptops wth Air Plus Xtreme G
PCM
| > CIA
| > | cards and a Toshiba laptop with a built in wireless card. Everything

| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

Old December 20th 04, 12:05 AM
Big Bill

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 18:57:38 GMT, "Jim Warman"
> wrote:

>What did I hear on the news???? 15 intelligence agencies are going to be
>consolidated???? FIFTEEN!?!?!? Of course, everyone already knows that
>"government intelligence" lies somewhere between an oxymoron and a
>conumdrum...

Well, as I understand it, they won't be 'consolidated', but put under
one office that will ensure communication and common direction among
all concerned.
But I could be wrong.
--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

300M brake lights Tommo Chrysler 1 January 16th 05 12:20 PM
Brake lights Busdriver VW air cooled 4 December 15th 04 05:42 PM
Neon with tricky brake lights do_crev Chrysler 4 October 19th 04 06:12 PM
No brake lights - 62 Falcon John Derickson Antique cars 4 October 19th 03 08:53 PM