1997 Mountaineer Headlights

Old December 11th 04, 04:50 AM
MD

Default 1997 Mountaineer Headlights

Does anyone know if that model came with Sylvania Silverstar bulbs stock? I
am trying to change mine out and put Silverstars in there and it looks like
they have the same model number on the bulb in there.

Old December 11th 04, 05:57 AM
Jim Warman

No... they came with whatever halogen bulbs that met Fords minimum specs and
were cheap and were delivered when promised. I don't believe these bulbs
were available in '97 period...

Old December 11th 04, 08:24 PM
Searcher

No, Jim is right, Silverstars have just begun to hit the market in force.
They have been out a little while now, but ony recently have they begun an
ad campaign. The most likley reason for the number being the same as stock
is that they are all interchangable. IE... 9006 or 1187, many manufacture's
make the same type and number bulb just different names is all. I plan on
changing my halogen's in my 97 to the Silverstars. I have heard good things
about them that I must give them a try. I did try Hella vision bulbs at 80
bucks but they only lasted 6 months. One right after the other they blew.
Guess you can say I was a bit put out over that 80 bucks. The Hellas were
super bright but not as reflective as some of those blues junks that you see
on alot of kids cars nowadays. The ones that looks blue ! I want distance
with optimun side visability without blinding others.

Searcher1

Old December 12th 04, 02:20 AM
Mike Iglesias

In article <qIIud.3941$mn6.2032@trnddc07>,
Searcher > wrote:
>No, Jim is right, Silverstars have just begun to hit the market in force.
>They have been out a little while now, but ony recently have they begun an
>ad campaign. The most likley reason for the number being the same as stock
>is that they are all interchangable. IE... 9006 or 1187, many manufacture's
>make the same type and number bulb just different names is all. I plan on
>changing my halogen's in my 97 to the Silverstars. I have heard good things
>about them that I must give them a try. I did try Hella vision bulbs at 80
>bucks but they only lasted 6 months. One right after the other they blew.
>Guess you can say I was a bit put out over that 80 bucks. The Hellas were
>super bright but not as reflective as some of those blues junks that you see
>on alot of kids cars nowadays. The ones that looks blue ! I want distance
>with optimun side visability without blinding others.

If you go over to the Honda Pilot forum (www.hondapilot.org), they've
had discussions about the Silverstars. At least with the bulbs that work
on the Pilot, they last about year, maybe less. Apparently that's the
way they were designed - someone posted a letter they got from Sylvania
saying that they are designed to last about a year under normal use.
Here's the thread about the Silverstars:

http://www.hondapilot.org/forums/sho...silver+s tars

Some of the Pilot folks have switched to Eurodezign bulbs.

--
Mike Iglesias Email:
University of California, Irvine phone: 949-824-6926
Old December 12th 04, 02:50 AM
Fred 2

I have the silverstars on my '96 Explorer for a couple of years they
do have a whiter slightly blue lite than stock bulbs, but not anything
like the terrible obvious "cool blue" bulbs. Also, they are defintely
not like true HID either

Old December 13th 04, 04:17 AM
MD

Yeah I got them on my 96 exp too. They made a huge difference over stock!!!
I hope they last longer than a year as the other guy was saying they are
only designed to last a year.

Old December 15th 04, 05:16 AM
Fred 2

FWIW, I had them on my '96 since Nov. 2002,

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 04:17:52 GMT, "MD" > wrote:

>Yeah I got them on my 96 exp too. They made a huge difference over stock!!!
>I hope they last longer than a year as the other guy was saying they are
>only designed to last a year.

.. .