A6 (1996) brake pad thickness warning light?

Old November 17th 04, 08:15 AM
John Prendergast

Default A6 (1996) brake pad thickness warning light?

Does anyone know what thickness of brake pad kicks off the warning
light? Am I correct in thinking that there is initially a yellow
warning light at one thickness and then a red warning light at a
lesser thickness?

Old November 17th 04, 11:10 AM
Pete

wrote "John Prendergast" wrote
> Does anyone know what thickness of brake pad kicks off the warning
> light? Am I correct in thinking that there is initially a yellow
> warning light at one thickness and then a red warning light at a
> lesser thickness?

No. The warning light is either off or on. Just two states, depending on
whether the brake pad sensor has closed the circuit or not. Unfortunately I
do not know at what thickness the warning comes on, but depending on how you
drive, you should still be able to do another couple of thousand miles
before the pads begin to damage your rotors.

Cheers,

Pete

Old November 17th 04, 06:24 PM
vitonxl

If it's even close to it and one day you slam on your brakes it will
set it off. See if you have brake dust around your wheel, meaning
abundance of it. You'll clean it off and two day later it's dirty
again. That means there wearing at a higher rate. Mine where flaking
around the edges.

Old November 18th 04, 12:22 PM
Aksel

"John Prendergast" > skrev i en meddelelse
> Does anyone know what thickness of brake pad kicks off the warning
> light? Am I correct in thinking that there is initially a yellow
> warning light at one thickness and then a red warning light at a
> lesser thickness?

No, there is only the red light when the brake warning circuit is
disconnected, the warning is also set if the wiring is defective.

On older models the circuit made ground connection, but by faulty wiring /
connectors the warning system was disabled.

Greetings Aksel