Jaguar E-type 4.2 but what series?

Old May 2nd 07, 11:33 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
[email protected]

Default Jaguar E-type 4.2 but what series?

Guys,

I recently found a Jaguar e-type that I would like to buy ... but what
series is it?

I do not want to contact the owner before knowing exactly what is it
and being able to make a reasonable offer.

Here are the pictures, not very good but should be enough. My guess is
that it is the 4.2 Series 2 OR 1.5 but I am not sure... three
windshield wipers, no cover on the headlights but quite small front
"mouth", latches for the hood are inside... btw, can the hood be
removed to make a convertible?

http://www.box.net/shared/4hu61dt7qk

TIA, it would be a dream to buy it!!!

Old May 2nd 07, 06:10 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
Jony

On May 2, 3:35 pm, Richard > wrote:
> That is a removable hardtop. The coupes were very "fastback".
>
> wrote:
> > Guys,

> > I recently found a Jaguar e-type that I would like to buy ... but what
> > series is it?

> > I do not want to contact the owner before knowing exactly what is it
> > and being able to make a reasonable offer.

> > Here are the pictures, not very good but should be enough. My guess is
> > that it is the 4.2 Series 2 OR 1.5 but I am not sure... three
> > windshield wipers, no cover on the headlights but quite small front
> > "mouth", latches for the hood are inside... btw, can the hood be
> > removed to make a convertible?

> >http://www.box.net/shared/4hu61dt7qk

> > TIA, it would be a dream to buy it!!!

Thanks for your help, do you know if it is a series 1.5. Any idea of
the price assuming it is in good condition ?

Thanks a lot

Old May 2nd 07, 08:40 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
Richard[_8_]

I would go to Ebay and do some comparisons.

Old May 3rd 07, 01:36 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
Stude

On May 2, 12:40 pm, Richard > wrote:
> I would go to Ebay and do some comparisons.
>

> Jony wrote:
> > On May 2, 3:35 pm, Richard > wrote:
> >> That is a removable hardtop. The coupes were very "fastback".

> > Thanks for your help, do you know if it is a series 1.5. Any idea of
> > the price assuming it is in good condition ?

> > Thanks a lot
> > J- Hide quoted text -

Google "E-type" and spend a few hours.

Old May 4th 07, 07:17 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
firebladebear

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Guys,
>
> I recently found a Jaguar e-type that I would like to buy ... but what
> series is it?
>
> I do not want to contact the owner before knowing exactly what is it
> and being able to make a reasonable offer.
>
> Here are the pictures, not very good but should be enough. My guess is
> that it is the 4.2 Series 2 OR 1.5 but I am not sure... three
> windshield wipers, no cover on the headlights but quite small front
> "mouth", latches for the hood are inside... btw, can the hood be
> removed to make a convertible?
>
> http://www.box.net/shared/4hu61dt7qk
>
> TIA, it would be a dream to buy it!!!

j:

I checked what E-type pics I have on the hard drive and was able to make
a quick comparison between
1967, 1968 and 1969. No covers on the headlights (unless they were
removed by a previous owner) rules
out 1967. All my 1969 pics show just two windshield wipers. I also had
a few pics of '68s that reference
Series 1.5 and Series 2--the series 2 pic had only two wipers. Best
guess is that it is a USA-spec
1968 E-type Series 1.5 convertible with an aftermarket hardtop. By the
way, she seems to be missing part of the rear
exhaust extension. 1968 was a difficult year in the USA market for many
non-US automakers as many new safety
& emissions regulations took effect, such that a goodly number of
makers imported no models to the US (Ferrari
for one) and others hastily adopted quick fixes. For instance, the
reason that E-type you're looking at has three
wipers is to comply with a Federal safety requirement for percentage of
windshield wiped by the wipers. That
also hit the MG Midget, as well. Those Federal safety regs are also
behind Jaguars' decision to eventually replace the
toggle switches on the dash with rocker switches. I'd dig out the
period issue of Road & Track that covered this
but the spouse has been glaring at me enough already... Speaking of
Road & Track, they've also written a special
Buyers Guide that covers E-types of this vintage so you might want to
take a look. And while you're picking up
issues of R&T you may also want to check out one of their columnists
named Peter Egan who had quite an
experience restoring such a vintage E-type.
Good luck!

-gc-