Original oil filter way too tight! (04 Golf)

Old May 31st 05, 07:30 AM
Rich Wales

Default Original oil filter way too tight! (04 Golf)

I did my first (5K mile) oil/filter change on my 04 Golf today.

Or, at least, I changed the oil. I couldn't change the filter
because the old filter (the one originally installed at the
factory when the car was assembled) was on so tight that I was
absolutely unable to remove it, even after three hours' worth
of trying numerous tools and all the brute strength my arms,
legs, and (poor aching) back could muster.

I had already drained the crankcase before discovering that
the filter had been installed by a gorilla with power tools,
so I ended up (for the time being at least) putting in new
oil, but keeping the old filter.

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem? How did you
deal with it? Did you get VW involved? (I'm very seriously
considering raising a stink over this with VW -- arguing that
the unreasonably tight oil filter is a defect that they have
an obligation to rectify, without charge, under the warranty.)

Rich Wales http://www.richw.org

Old May 31st 05, 10:53 AM
Papa

Take it to a VW dealer. They should be able to get it off.

Old May 31st 05, 11:44 AM
Woodchuck

NO, it's not a "defect" if you have the correct tool to remove the filter.
Check with the techs at your dealer and have them show you what they use to
get the filter off... and BTW you need to remove it from under the car.

g...

Old May 31st 05, 01:10 PM
Kurtis Daniels

I had a really hard time getting the filter off of my Passat 1.8T. I ended
up using a strap wrench. That worked like a champ.
Kurt

g...

Old May 31st 05, 03:20 PM
Don Mac Phee

Drive a screwdriver through the filter, turn.

Clean up the oil spill with kitty litter.

Next?

g...

Old May 31st 05, 09:54 PM
Rob Guenther

I've had it happen too... PITA, put the old oil back in and took it to the
dealers.

I'm sick of doing my own oil changes, I hardly save money doing them, and I
don't have the proper equipment....
g...

Old June 1st 05, 06:11 AM
Tom Wallace

I have a 98 Jetta TDI. On my first oil change I could not get the oil
filter off. When it did come loose, the bolt that goes into the oil filter
came out of the of the engine while it was still stuck in the oil filter.
VW took care of it.
g...

Old June 3rd 05, 04:49 AM
Rich Wales

Earlier, I wrote:

> Someone else suggested a strap wrench, BTW; that was the first
> thing I tried, but in this case it was totally ineffective.

I finally took it to a mechanic. He told me afterwards that he had
needed to use a two-foot-long breaker bar in order to produce enough
torque to remove the original oil filter.

Rich Wales http://www.richw.org

Old June 4th 05, 11:59 AM
Woodchuck

The problem I think is the factory doesn't put lube on the seal when putting
the first one on. Should be easy from now on.

g...

Old June 4th 05, 08:04 PM
Peter Parker

In article >,
Woodchuck > wrote:
>NO, it's not a "defect" if you have the correct tool to remove the filter.
>Check with the techs at your dealer and have them show you what they use to
>get the filter off... and BTW you need to remove it from under the car.

One of those big channel lock type oil filter wrenches.

rg...

--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...