clanking sound that driving me nuts.

Old July 24th 06, 04:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
[email protected]

Default clanking sound that driving me nuts.

Hi all,

I have a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee from hell.

I recently had the transmisson rebuilt. (It was not engaging). I also
had the radiator replaced. Because the engine was reving and the
transmission was not engaging, it blew the radiator.

Now:

I can drive on the highway all day and nothing bad will happen but once
I get into stop and go traffic, like today, on a hot day, I would start
to hear some clanking, then it would get louder, like something
spinning and hitting something else. If I press on the gas pedal to go
faster, the clanking sound would be faster, more frequent so I am
thinking it has something to do with something spinning while I press
on the gas pedal (yeah, really car smart there, lol), if I put it Park,
the sound goes away but if I put it in drive to start driving, it would
make the clanking sound, hard to explain the sound, like a fan is
running and you stick a pencil into it...I think. Now, the thing is, if
I pull the car over, pop the hood, wait like 10 mins, snap the hood,
and start driving, the sound is gone. When I popped the hood, the
engine was really hot but like I said, today was like 90 outside. So to
sum up..

1. Drive on highway -- Fine.
2. Stop and go traffic on hot day --- start to hear clicking sound
follows by clanking sound.
3. Put car in Park the sound goes away.
4. Pop the hood, let the engine cool for a few minutes, the sound goes
away.
5. Recently had the Tranmission rebuilt, radiator replaced.

The thing is, it is hard to troubleshoot, if I take it to the repair
shop, I would have to have it making the sound but when it happens, I'm
afraid to keep on driving so I'd pull over and pop the hood to let it
cool now. I don't want to ruin whatever that is making that clanking
sound.
Also, the car has a strong hum sound, like ummmmmmmmmmm sound, could be
from the exhaust system, not sure if it's related.

Any suggestion help , idea is really apreciated.

-J.

Old July 24th 06, 04:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_1_]

Could the exhaust be banging on something? I think that way because putting
in Park takes the torque off the drive train, and lets everything settle
into its natural alignment. Could the transmission people have left out a
bolt or two? Or a bracket? Motor mounts loose?

"Clanking" makes me think of the flex plate, but those usually don't come
and go. Or a u-joint, but those are not usually temperature related.

If you can get under the vehicle, check all over for loose stuff, leaking
fluid (any kind) or obvious missing bolts.

Earle

oups.com...

Old July 24th 06, 05:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff DeWitt

wrote:
> Hi Earle:
>
> All I can think of is:
>
> 1. Hot day.
> 2. If I put the gear in anything but Park, it makes that clanking
> sound.
> 3. Faster I go, the faster the clanking.
> 4. This is in slow stop and go traffic.
>
> So, in term of the engine, what spins when it's in Park and what spins
> when it's in Drive. ? because something made it stop clanking when I'm
> in park.
>
> Guess I can take it back to the transmission people to have them take a
> look.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -J.
> Earle Horton wrote:
>
>>Could the exhaust be banging on something? I think that way because putting
>>in Park takes the torque off the drive train, and lets everything settle
>>into its natural alignment. Could the transmission people have left out a
>>bolt or two? Or a bracket? Motor mounts loose?
>>
>>"Clanking" makes me think of the flex plate, but those usually don't come
>>and go. Or a u-joint, but those are not usually temperature related.
>>
>>If you can get under the vehicle, check all over for loose stuff, leaking
>>fluid (any kind) or obvious missing bolts.
>>
>>Earle
>>
> wrote in message
groups.com...

>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>I have a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee from hell.
>>>
>>>I recently had the transmisson rebuilt. (It was not engaging). I also
>>>had the radiator replaced. Because the engine was reving and the
>>>transmission was not engaging, it blew the radiator.
>>>
>>>Now:
>>>
>>>I can drive on the highway all day and nothing bad will happen but once
>>>I get into stop and go traffic, like today, on a hot day, I would start
>>>to hear some clanking, then it would get louder, like something
>>>spinning and hitting something else. If I press on the gas pedal to go
>>>faster, the clanking sound would be faster, more frequent so I am
>>>thinking it has something to do with something spinning while I press
>>>on the gas pedal (yeah, really car smart there, lol), if I put it Park,
>>>the sound goes away but if I put it in drive to start driving, it would
>>>make the clanking sound, hard to explain the sound, like a fan is
>>>running and you stick a pencil into it...I think. Now, the thing is, if
>>>I pull the car over, pop the hood, wait like 10 mins, snap the hood,
>>>and start driving, the sound is gone. When I popped the hood, the
>>>engine was really hot but like I said, today was like 90 outside. So to
>>>sum up..
>>>
>>>1. Drive on highway -- Fine.
>>>2. Stop and go traffic on hot day --- start to hear clicking sound
>>>follows by clanking sound.
>>>3. Put car in Park the sound goes away.
>>>4. Pop the hood, let the engine cool for a few minutes, the sound goes
>>>away.
>>>5. Recently had the Tranmission rebuilt, radiator replaced.
>>>

>>>The thing is, it is hard to troubleshoot, if I take it to the repair
>>>shop, I would have to have it making the sound but when it happens, I'm
>>>afraid to keep on driving so I'd pull over and pop the hood to let it
>>>cool now. I don't want to ruin whatever that is making that clanking
>>>sound.
>>>Also, the car has a strong hum sound, like ummmmmmmmmmm sound, could be
>>>from the exhaust system, not sure if it's related.
>>>
>>>Any suggestion help , idea is really apreciated.
>>>
>>>-J.

Does it make the noise just when you are moving or if you put it in Park
and rev the engine a bit will you hear it then too?

Jeff DeWitt
Old July 24th 06, 02:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
[email protected]

Hi Jeff:

I have not put it in Park and Rev the engine, worth a try. I know when
I put it in drive, it would start to make the noise, even when stopped.

Old July 24th 06, 02:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
[email protected]

Hi guys:

What's a good book for cars? I know when it gets complicated like this,
take it to the shop, turn around and bend down but I'd like to read and
see how things work. (I work as a network Admin at my corp. inc).
Shilman? Shulman?

Thanks,

John,

Roosevelt, NJ

Old July 24th 06, 02:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

If you have a mechanical belt driven fan in that, I would suspect the
clutch on it has gone bad.

'Blew the rad' because it revved too much? That is ummm... BS.

If I can't run my Jeeps at full power (high revs) in low gears off road,
they are broken.

I also would be suspecting maybe they forgot to tighten down the tranny
mount or something, so when it goes in gear, it could be shifting over
or they left a bolt loose in the torque converter or the clank it the
bad fan clutch.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old July 24th 06, 02:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
[email protected]

Understandable but why does it do it in stop and go traffic? high temp?
maybe because the tranny works harder under that condition?

Old July 24th 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

If you have a bad fan clutch, it will overheat in slow traffic because
all that is cooling the rad is wind pressure from how fast you are
going.

Typically, even the secondary electric fan only comes on in slow traffic
or with the AC too. Once you are at highway speed or the rad is cool
enough, the electric fan shuts off. Maybe it has a bad bearing?

Mike

wrote:

> [...]
> > > sum up..
> > >
> > > 1. Drive on highway -- Fine.
> > > 2. Stop and go traffic on hot day --- start to hear clicking sound
> > > follows by clanking sound.
> > > 3. Put car in Park the sound goes away.
> > > 4. Pop the hood, let the engine cool for a few minutes, the sound goes
> > > away.
> > > 5. Recently had the Tranmission rebuilt, radiator replaced.
> > >
> > > The thing is, it is hard to troubleshoot, if I take it to the repair
> > > shop, I would have to have it making the sound but when it happens, I'm
> > > afraid to keep on driving so I'd pull over and pop the hood to let it
> > > cool now. I don't want to ruin whatever that is making that clanking
> > > sound.
> > > Also, the car has a strong hum sound, like ummmmmmmmmmm sound, could be
> > > from the exhaust system, not sure if it's related.
> > >
> > > Any suggestion help , idea is really apreciated.

How could lug nuts break on a car? brebers Technology 34 May 13th 06 01:18 AM
Cell phone use study Rich Ford Mustang 4 October 14th 05 10:08 PM
These could have been my last driving experiences... E.R. Driving 5 September 17th 05 08:39 PM
Subject: Traffic School - online traffic school experience response [email protected] Corvette 0 October 9th 04 05:56 PM