Where can you purchase Door Knob Locks 1989 Jetta Carat?

Old April 2nd 06, 08:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default Where can you purchase Door Knob Locks 1989 Jetta Carat?

Does anyone know where I could purchase the four door knob locks (the things
you pull and push up - down inside the Jetta - to lock and unlock doors)
besides the VW dealer or junk yards?

thanks
bo ku

Model: 1989 Jetta Carat* 1.8 Liters (engine displacement liters (1780
cc)

Vehicle Model # RB1G Vehicle Type 4S
Engine Type SOHC Engine code PF
Engine Series (ID/VIN) 105 hp@ 5400 rpm with A/C
Fuel system Digifant II Digital Electronic Fuel Injection
Manufacture Date 11/88 Model Year 1989
Transmission Automatic 3 speed / air conditioning
Volkswagen AG West Germany ************** Wolfsburg
Car number 266,124 Manufacturer make Europe passenger Car

Body Style 4 door Sedan (upgrade)

Old April 3rd 06, 06:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

"Lost In Space/Woodchuck" > wrote in message
>Where can you purchase Door Knob Locks 1989 Jetta Carat?Have you called the
>dealer for a price? Can't be more than about $3 each!

Actually I bought one about 6 months ago for my GTI (Jetta is probably
similar/same). Surprisingly it was about $5 for one. That's quite a bit
for a cheap piece of plastic. I can see where someone would not want to pay
$20 for four of these little pieces of crap.

Old April 3rd 06, 01:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

"Matt B." > wrote in message
> "Lost In Space/Woodchuck" > wrote in message
>>Where can you purchase Door Knob Locks 1989 Jetta Carat?Have you called
>>the dealer for a price? Can't be more than about $3 each!

> Actually I bought one about 6 months ago for my GTI (Jetta is probably
> similar/same). Surprisingly it was about $5 for one. That's quite a bit
> for a cheap piece of plastic. I can see where someone would not want to
> pay $20 for four of these little pieces of crap.

"Little pieces of crap" are needed to lock/unlock doors from inside. The
institution knows most people don't want to spend their time and money
trying to locate these. So, they know that they can charge a premium price.
All the other miscellaneous parts need storage locations, someone to pull
it, someone to wrap and ship it, someone to dock the inventory. It all adds
up.

Automakers are required to provide replacement parts for 10 years. After
that, is iffy. Junkers may be missing these door locks at the junkyard as
already taken. So can see why the guy is asking for another option.
--
Jonny

Old April 3rd 06, 08:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

The door knob locks are expensive and difficult to find
(all four door knobs are missing so - $20 +)
I will try the dealer and see what the price is

I tried the other online VW sellers however none had any to sell Probably
not worth their while to carry such a small item

These have very small openings so not any knob will fit
So take care of your door knob locks - they're relatively expensive for such
a small item
( I just noticed all the knobs were missing the other day when I pulled up
the driver side knob and it broke off (doors locked) couldn't open any doors
from the inside - had to power down a window and unlock the door from the
outside while sitting in the driver seat)

YIKES
A potential dilemma
Thanks

On 4/3/06 7:40 AM, in article
, "Jonny"

Old April 3rd 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Some dealers, not just VW... "matrix" parts prices. So call around to others
in your area.

Old April 7th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Try Ebay or the VWvortex forum. If neither of these help, click on the
following to see a lengthy list of sources:

http://dana.ucc.nau.edu/~kaw5/parts.htm

Old April 8th 06, 05:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Depending where you live, here in Canada I can buy them for about $1.70
each Cdn tax included. so less the $7.00 for the set.